Land rover Experience

Bigweed

Did a full day course at Coniston Cold as a training course from work, great fun and beneficial. Having done plenty of off roading previously it was still good fun and there was the odd point to learn.

The guys who had never done any off roading before were grinning like idiots and it took a little courage to trust things like engine breaking on steep hill desents (like I said these guys had not driven off road before).

The biggest benefit for me was learning the electronic controls and how to get the best out of them. I have owned two disco's (300 tdi and td5) and two 110's. I use the Disco 3 for work and its all electronics.

The half day is like an introduction where you get to see the basics and the vehicles capabilities driving over the 'man made obtacles' hill descent and side angle (steeper than you'd expect) and I think the grand finale is the instructor driving you around the advanced course. On our full day we got to drive around the advanced course, over the rock crawl and drive through the water and up steps through tree's and deep ruts, hill climbs etc.

The instructor we had was excellent he had done the Paris Dakar, and contributed to many of the landrover enthusiast type magazines certainly knew his stuff. I think most people come away from it realising just how much their motor can do, but its important to remember that the layout has been designed with the vehicles in mind and the skill comes when judging ground on your own. If you own a landrover then its worth trying to upgrade the half day to a fullday even if it costs a little. If not its worth going for the fun of it to drive the latest 4x4's.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Got a voucher for a half day off road experience with Land Rover - "Land Rover Experience "

Anyone done it, any good ??

You will be going to Eastwell then? My friend Colin is an instructor there and I have had two sessions, the novice half day "taster" then the more advanced full day about 2 years ago.

Great fun and you will enjoy it, they make defenders crawl up bare chalk slopes that you could only get up on your hands and knees!

Pray for rain on the day and it will be hairy.

Cheers Rob.

I did one in the Disco 3 at Honiton.

I was so impressed I bought one a week later.

Then they brought out the Disco 4 - sick as a parrot!!

I was drooling over one of the Discovery 4's at a LR showroom the other day, when checking recalls for my FL2, out of my price league i'm afraid but what a cracking car :good: I was thinking of doing the one at Honiton sometime, it amazes me how good the Freelander is over muddy/wet fields so I guess i'd be suitably impressed :good:

I did the Range Rover day experience, It's a great day out and boy are the Range Rover Sports good tools!

I know a lot of off roaders might say otherwise but all those electronic gizmos really do a great job, the car did things I would never have contemplated doing without the knowledge I gained that day.

Look up on google where the nearest " modified trial" is, go and watch, THEN you'll know what a Land Rover can do :yes:

Most experience (most, not all) drivers / instructors are rated quite low by competition drivers and at the big shows heckling was part of the fun when not doing anything more important (sad I know but it had to be done) :/

I used to trial a much modified Suzuki :P

Edited by rodp

• 3 months later...