Ballistic software programs

deadeye ive

Been on remminton shoot software ballistic program .

The round in Question is the .223 Factory ammo

150 yds zero

Example at 250yds you have to aim 4 3/4" high(120mm) How accurate is this to field conditions

I don't shoot no further than 175 yds but i was wondering how close to field conditions these programs are and i could do with some examples of what sort of drop other shooters allow for :unsure:

PS It's sunny and there is little wind

Advice please

Cheers Ive

IMHO, it depends on what you mean by accurate?

I use a ballistic program for long range shooting with my rifles and I kid you not I shoot rabbits in the head at 350yds and have the ability to kill vermin at longer ranges if required. That takes a lot of work at the reloading bench, a lot of testing over a pair of chronographs and an understanding of the pitfalls and shortcomings of the software.

Generally speaking the information given for factory ammo isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. Every rifle will have different characteristics for coefficients and different sight heights and you need atmospheric data to produce an accurate chart to kill humanely at distance… you have to be precise. This type of info is not available for generic ballistics and while it does give you some idea it quickly becomes garbage at longer ranges.

Cheers

S_2

Thanks for your reply S2

The ammo i use is federal 55grn ballistic tip thru a tikka m595.223 and i find it to be more than adequate at pre 200yds distances but as i've never shot further i was curious that for 300yds lets say the drop is about 9 1/2".I know that to find out for sure the only way is to put things into practice but the lie of land on my permission won't allow me that pleasure. B)

Cheers Ive

Anymore shooters using the ammo mentioned :(

Deadeye,

I'm not using the same ammunition as you ( I reload my own ) but I am using another FREE ballistic software on the web. It is JBM Ballistics. Those two words on a search engine should find it.

I have used this software to make trajectory, windage and energy tables out to 600 yards. It hits the spot for me.

:(

Sniper

Glad to hear from you again,as you can see from this thread hav'nt quite made it into homeloading yet as what funds i had went on a change of vehicle.I have had a quick look at this program and it looks quite sophisticated,it certainly requires more input data than what i'm using at the moment but at first glance it looks the buisness .

Thanks for putting me on to this B)

Cheers Ive :(