Woodcock, Snipe or Pigeon Breasts

ollie

Hi all had a look in the freezer tonight and found 6 woodcock breasts and 6 legs so decided on trying out this concoction of ingredients:

6 breasts & 6 legs

100ml sweet chilli sauce

100ml red wine

2 garlic cloves

1 small onion diced

few baby spuds

Seal the breasts and legs in a pan with Olive oil. Add diced onion and chopped garlic and fry. Add the red wine and chilli sauce and simmer on a low heat for a couple of hours. Serve with a few baby boiled spuds. Was absolutely gorgeous and I'm going out tomorrow to see if I can get some fresh woodcock and snipe :hmm: . I have found this recipe will work with pigeon, snipe or woodcock.

6 Woodcock = 3 good starters or 3 mains with tatties etc.

:good:

20 minutes max @ 180"C

Each to their own Henry, I find simmering for that long reduces the sauce to a lovely consistency and leaves the meat tender. I didn't say 6 woodcock, I was only talking about the breasts and legs which makes 3 woodcock and anyway I was a hungry boy after work :blink:

I'd probably seal the breasts 1st in butter and oil, nice and hot, then place in the oven for a few minutes.

Whilst doing that, using the butter and oil from the frying, put in the wine and other ingredients. Reduce on a high heat whilst the meat is in the oven to a thick sauce.

Try adding a little redcurrant jelly and port to the mix.

Sounds nice with the chilli, though. :rolleyes: