Diesel injectors L200 - clean/renew or leave alone?

Conygree

Just wondered what members with experience of diesel maintanance reguard as best for say 60-100k mileage for injector maintenance as being the best for a L200 or any other diesel or petrol injector come to that. :blink:

Turbo oil leaking - I found oil in the intercooler and cleaned it out and fitted a bottle over the engine breather to find out if the oil was coming from the engine or turbo - it was coming from the turbo. The turbo is working ok - bit slow on pickup.

Is it ok to leave the turbo with a slight leak or is it best to have it exchanged - if so any good places for turbo exchange? :D

sorry to be asking so many questions - but I prefere to hear from experience than manuals.

Many thanks in advance :good:

Edited by pigeon popper

turbo engines always have a little oil in the intercooler/pipes, as long as its not full of it I wouldn't worry, check your breathers are clear as well, as for injector cleaner, the best ones I always use FORTE (supposed to be a trade only product but some motor factors do sell it) or Lucas fuel treatment (a bit in every tank is supposed to keep your injectors and valves clean and lubricated, and also lube your injector pump), and give it a good service, with best quality oils and see how it goes from there

on the L200 the EGR valve is well worth a clean if emissions are high, don't worry about that breather pipe or a bit of oil in the intercooler as most do it. Injectors will benefit from a bit of additive once in a while but generally usually aren't the cause of them smoking that'll be the EGR which can be blocked off on mine not sure about the later ones as to whether it affects the management light.

becarefull with a leaky turbo. although a turbo will let a little oil by when they get a little worn you must keep an eye on it because if it gets too worn then then engine will run on after you turn the ignition off and run until there is no oil left.

i don't want to scare you but without seeing how much oil is being lost you can't tell.

so my advice just keep an eye on the turbo.

it may just be that the oil int the engine is getting thin and needs changing.

as for the injectors just like what was said before any decent diesel injector aditive form a motor factor will be fine.

Many thanks indeed - what a responce :)

It also answers a query about a friends landy, while doing off-road, which suddenly revved up and wouldn't stop (running on engine oil?) turned the key off - tried to stall it but it went into another friends landy - they are still friends :rolleyes: I can't think of a method: valve etc to stop that happening - bit scarry :angry:

As I put down earlier, I fitted a bottle over the engine breather not much oil in there, but some oil mist from the turbo.

I'm new to turbos. Will have a look at the EGR valve - is that one of the small solenoid valves on to of the engine - must get a manual.

The L200 runs ok, must have done more miles than recorded - or a hard life off road - will keep an eye on it for symptoms and oil level dropping at a higher rate than at present.

Edited by pigeon popper

which hose are you taking off the turbo? if its the one in the middle / the inlet one any oil there is definitely engine breathing related. Having done a fair bit of fault finding on these it really won't be the turbo oil seal they do breathe a fair bit

Yep the small hose into a plastic bottle with the exit tube back to the air - turbo connection, so any oil would be caught in the bottle ( simular to water line traps on patient ventilators). There were only a few drops after say 30 miles and some oil around the air inlet from the turbo but for engine oil its only had a pint for 2k miles, plus a very small amount of water in the bottle - more condensation I suspect. Reconnected it back now and see how it goes.

Overall I think I'm a bit over worrying bit, but I hate running an engine into expensive problems nor spending on expensive spares when not needed. The L200 is great but needs alot of maintenance until it settles down. I had a Ranger 4x2 non turbo from new - 8yrs only did basic servicing.

I'm enjoying doing the L200 and learning alot, which is always good to know your truck.

Last week I was given a set of 31x10 - 15" alloys with M/T's - put two on the back for now. drives well off road 'diff lock' works ok, but am mainly using my quad during the shooting season off road 'quadogging' in birds :rolleyes: - as against 'dogging birds' in a layby :) , the L200 will be used more afterwards for clearing boughs etc.

Thanks again for all the help :angry:

Edited by pigeon popper

yep your fiends landy would be the turbo. the only thing you can do is try to stall the engine.

not easy with a diesel.

as long as you stop it before the oil is too low you should be ok.

Thanks Lister, I found my intercoller was a bit oiled up so removed it to clean it out with 1ltr of inert solvent - left it soaking plus a slosh about for 1/2 hour - drained it but felt sure < 1ltr came out, so left it inverted for a bit longer and refitted it. Started it up - ran for 1min then the engine revved up like mad - turned the key off, it ran for say 10sec then stopped. Thought I had trashed the motor at first be it suvived - there must have ben an air-lock in the intercooler radiator holding some solvent back, which blew into the engine.

I removed the intercooler again and gave it a few flushes with boiling water - drained it and refitted it with the turbo side only (leaving the engine side to air) - restarted it up and blew out the last of the water, suggesting it's not clear yet - will give it another go sometime.

I only put this down incase somebody else cleans an intercooler rad, so they can avoid my -'experience'

Thanks again Lister :rolleyes:

Any tips on cleaning the EGR valve?

Edited by pigeon popper

they recirculate gas from the engine via the EGR / breathers etc I'd place money on the oil not coming from the turbo,

Ok leave your EGR well alone this valve reycyles exhaust gasses and nothing else EGR stands for EXHUAST GAS RECIRCULATION the only symptoms you will get if your egr valve is stuck is heavy smoking and possibly a loss of power .Now does anybody want to now why manufacturers invented egr ?? its quite boring really lol

atb Jim

Ok leave your EGR well alone this valve reycyles exhaust gasses and nothing else EGR stands for EXHUAST GAS RECIRCULATION the only symptoms you will get if your egr valve is stuck is heavy smoking and possibly a loss of power .Now does anybody want to now why manufacturers invented egr ?? its quite boring really lol

atb Jim

:rolleyes: beerdeor. + the other advice: I will use fuel/ oil consumption as an indicator.

I will post the Friends landy in action later

Thanks Lister, I found my intercoller was a bit oiled up so removed it to clean it out with 1ltr of inert solvent - left it soaking plus a slosh about for 1/2 hour - drained it but felt sure < 1ltr came out, so left it inverted for a bit longer and refitted it. Started it up - ran for 1min then the engine revved up like mad - turned the key off, it ran for say 10sec then stopped. Thought I had trashed the motor at first be it suvived - there must have ben an air-lock in the intercooler radiator holding some solvent back, which blew into the engine.

I removed the intercooler again and gave it a few flushes with boiling water - drained it and refitted it with the turbo side only (leaving the engine side to air) - restarted it up and blew out the last of the water, suggesting it's not clear yet - will give it another go sometime.

I only put this down incase somebody else cleans an intercooler rad, so they can avoid my -'experience'

Thanks again Lister <_<

Any tips on cleaning the EGR valve?

no probs.

you may find you can get a egr blanking kit. alot of poeple with landys just blank the egr off. as long as your emmisions are low enough for the mot then it don't matter.

if your going to clean your intercooler out with solvent its a good idea to flush it through with hot soapy watwer afterwards. just makesure you leave it to dry over a radiator or something first.

Thanks Lister - I checked the EGR valve today using a 50ml syringe and a piece of small silicone tube, the valve operated ok, so I will leave well along for now. A smaller syringe may work but the large ones are harder to pull saving any possible damage, ok I work as a medical equipment engineer, but have covered most types of engineering - my car maintence is a bit dated so it's good to get back into it.

Yep I really got caught out cleaning the intercooler, I left it draining for 1/2 hr, fortunately it was inert solvent but still fired up - next flush was boiling water. Still suspect its not clean but will have a look later.

Thanks again :good: