22-250 trajectory

hill billy

i brought a remington 700 22-250 its just for shooting foxes, but because of ammo prices i just wanted to know how much hold over i would need at diffrent distances such as 200 300 ect....... i have zeroed it for 100 yards normally i would go out and just do some practise shoots but at 75p per bullet it rather costly

thanks very much

download a program called point blank and enter in the correct details of you load and gun, then it will plot a graph for you

i would also recomend zero'ing at 150, or 1 inch high at 100

this means that out to about 200 you wont need any holdover becuase the bullet will still be inside a 3inch kill zone, probably still out to 250 with the 22-250

If money is a problem then I suggest you take up ludo...how will you get to know how much your bullet is deflected by a moderate breeze?:(? The answer is PRACTICE(on paper targets) not guesswork as no computer model will be as good as experience IMO....bust paper targets don`t wound animals.

i can see both points of view, from one point it is worth putting up targets becuase as mentioned you can never re create the in field conditions, however its very difficult to re create these even if you wanted to.

for example, i do an awful lot of shooting in a large valley, and shooting down the hill will make the POI move so much that it has a completely different POI for that range, and the trojectory is completely changed. you cannot realistically expect to re create this and learn all the POI, all you can do is learn the theory and have a flat shooting round. which 22-250 is.

i sympathise with hill billy, shooting is an expensive buisness for us young un's, im lucky that i have a very generous father, by whom i am spoilt, however i do have to fund other parts of my sport, and i know that hill billy has just bought a new rifle, and that he will not have a whole load of cash around at the moment. so the balistics graph is a good trade off, and still a useful thing to have.

started handloading yet hill billy, 75 p sounds a bit pricey to me, when my 6.5 handloads are nearer the 50-60p and they use a handfull more powder than the 22-250 :(

no offence mate but you couldnt be more wrong, reloading (once you have the equipment or use someone elses) works out about 50% cheaper, even more if you use what ever components you can get your hands on.

example, 6.5 factory load hornady is about £1 handload with hornady bullet is 50-60p depending on what price bullets are when bought.

222 handload is about 20-30p factory can be in the 50p region,

its a big difference,

dont let the price of ammo put you off, you dont take so many shots with centerfires as you do with a rimfire.

talk soon mate :(

i have not yet started hand loading on my own yet but my uncle is showing me the way and it means i can learn years of trial and error with out having to give so much time and money towards it just by learning from his miss takes and good findings, as dunqunick says 75p per shot may sound very expensive and it is in some respects but when you approach a farmer that has a fox problem then im sure he wouldn't say a dead fox ain't worth 75p