Dispatching wounded pigeons

ochre

On those occasions when a bird is toppled but not killed outright, how do people dispatch their birds swiftly and humanely? I tend to break the neck with a flick of the wrist, rotating the body about a fixed point but sometimes the inevitable happens and one is left with a head alone. I have heard of people using priests (metal rods) or a solid stick. Would appreciate your advice on less gory methods than 'wringing'. Thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twist/spin on the pigeons but crows it dont work as they have a fair neck on them it has to be nocked on the head i use my pliers that i use to crush and brake the pigeon and crows wings with for the pigeon flapper or a small metal bar i also have .i also find its best to take your gun out the hide with you when your going to pick up as some birds can and do leg it down the field and all you can hear is your mate laffing at you as you chase it around the field :lol: :( its funny how i can never find the bar when its my mates turn to pick up the birds B) :lol:

On those occasions when a bird is toppled but not killed outright, how do people dispatch their birds swiftly and humanely? I tend to break the neck with a flick of the wrist, rotating the body about a fixed point but sometimes the inevitable happens and one is left with a head alone. I have heard of people using priests (metal rods) or a solid stick. Would appreciate your advice on less gory methods than 'wringing'. Thanks.

I always take my air rifle with me mainly for that job. then you dont have to get out of your hide. Not that im lazy or anything. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Tried all the twist and pull techniques. The easiest by far is a priest.Grab the bird over the wings with one hand, tilt it down toward your boots so only the head is visible then bring the priest down smartly on it's head with your other hand.Works every time and is humane and a lot less messy to the inexperienced. I use the same horn priest i use for dispatching trout in pretty much the same way, other than the trout are more horizontal.

Edited by Whitebridges

Pigeons, break the neck, have pull the head of too if done to hard.

Crows 1, Fro the lively runner, I carry my 410, light and easy to carry when you are running back and fwd to a hide or over drills. It give me a chance to use it or my son.

Crows 2, for those in their last legs, I put my hands firmly around the bird approching from the back, so wings and legs are tight to the body. I alway set out a large stone, raise my hand towards my chest and strick it quickly on the rock. Works as well as a preist. Can be messy at times but does finish the bird of quickly.

What I have found recently is that where I am shooting if a bird hit in flight land in another field, you can't get to it. (Different farm, hedges, wire etc). If you need the hedge for a back drop this can be a prob without a dog, which I don't have.

I have posted about this before... So sorry to those who have read it. :/

I use the foregrip of my o/u shotgun as a priest... It's always with you so saves carrying extra kit and the end is metal so you won't damage your gun. :D

You guys using auto's might have a problem doing this though :(