cherokee gone and i replaced it with

scarecrow243

Odd that you don't get the 20% lower economy as 10-20% is what pretty much every online source gives and certainly we find at least that, I get dragged into these as LPG seems to be touted as some wonder fuel but its got two perks it allows you to cost effectively run a big petrol engined 4x4 and it gives congestion charge exemption. For us that is why we do it as we save just about £1600 a vehicle a year. our cost comparison goes as follows

vauxhall Van 25mpg on gas at £0.61p per litre equates to £0.092 per mile

However the diesel versions we get 40mpg which at £1.09 per litre is £0.12 per mile

so we save 3p per mile so over 100K with us we would save £3K however the petrol vans conversion costs are approx £1500 these days but the residual values are a lot lower than their diesel equivalents so really cost savings for us are naff all if it wasn't for the congestion charge we also find they get unreliable after 100k whereas we can keep the diesel versions to 200K usually before they get to the same point

what it means really is if you've got a petrol 4x4 you want to keep and run to the death then yes LPG will save you money over running that vehicle but were you to have the option of buying a diesel version you could run that for very similar money. All that said it definitely feels nicer on the pocket when you fill up its just a shame thats not the only cost to look at

I think the figures are the rub I would be happy to climb back into a Range Rover V8 (the old 3.9)

and I suppose for my private mileage (I drive for a living so I cannot describe

it as pleasure :huh: ) a converted one would last quite a while and cost about the same

as the Outback to run .However no way on gods earth would I consider

converting one myself the costs just do not add up a better option is to

let somebody else pay out for the conversion as you point out better still

would be a diesel Range Rover P38 which with a proper tune will just about

perform the same and not have LPG issues (reduced ground clearance etc)

No I think next might be an Impreza SportWagon :good: should

save me a bit on fuel cost.