Best ever shooting tip.

COACH

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you think you have missed the bird always watch it until it is out of sight, a great many birds will get hit by a pellet or two and show now initial reaction but will bleed out as they fly off. Birds hit like this often drop dead within a couple of hundred metres.

I had a mallard do this on satuday night.

My mate's dog saw it drop i did'nt, the dog found it after 20 mins,150 yard's away.

I felt bad because i never new he was looking for a bird that i shot until he came back with it. my mate is an experianced shot and told me to alway's watch the bird as far as you can.

So this is a good tip and one i won't forget. :good:

A wounded duck on land always heads for water, a wounded duck on water always heads for land.

So if you drop a duck on a pond or lake which is still alive keep hidden, do not go running around the bank etc, just keep still and quiet and it will swim to the edge and tuck itself up under cover.

You can whistle pinks in, likewise you can whistle goldies in. You can squeak a rabbit out of cover, the same goes for stoats and weasels. If you see a pair of ducks the trailing bird is usually the drake.

dont forget the people/person who got you started. i know alot of peoples mentors will have passed away but the bloke that showed me the ropes said that when i got some permissions sorted out he wouldnt mind an invite in return for his expertise! Every year he gets me a days pheasant shooting and he comes to my duck pond and snipe bog.