Price of 17HMR Ammo!

After recently aquiring my first 17HMR I have been looking in to the price of ammunition for it and am very surprised at the difference in price for the same brand and type of ammo! I have found that the cheapest so far was from Swillington Shooting Supplies in West Yorkshire at £19.00 per hundred (V Max 17GR Blue Tip) and the most expensive (So far) was £29.00 per hundred (Again V Max 17GR Blue Tip)

I don't think it would be right to mention the names of the more expensive RFDs for ammo but members might like to mention the names of the cheaper RFDs for ammo and what price they are charging!

Can anyone explain what justification there is in such price differences for exactly the same ammo?

After recently aquiring my first 17HMR I have been looking in to the price of ammunition for it and am very surprised at the difference in price for the same brand and type of ammo! I have found that the cheapest so far was from Swillington Shooting Supplies in West Yorkshire at £19.00 per hundred (V Max 17GR Blue Tip) and the most expensive (So far) was £29.00 per hundred (Again V Max 17GR Blue Tip)

I don't think it would be right to mention the names of the more expensive RFDs for ammo but members might like to mention the names of the cheaper RFDs for ammo and what price they are charging!

Can anyone explain what justification there is in such price differences for exactly the same ammo?

Hi Frenchieboy,

I think you would be doing the right thing to name and shame, after all they are in the public domain, how can they justify charging 33% more, looks like their taking the ****!> :good:

Bob.

Hi Frenchieboy,

I think you would be doing the right thing to name and shame, after all they are in the public domain, how can they justify charging 33% more, looks like their taking the ****!> :good:

Bob.

I would but I personally do not want to get involved in any "slagging off" or putting other people down, that's not what I am about! However, if others think it is fair to "name and shame" then feel free to go ahead!

I have tried both Hornady 17GR Blue tips and Remmington Premier 17gr in my rifle and to be honest I don't find any noticable difference between the two (Accuracy wise). My local RFD has the Remmingtons at £10 per box of 50 so that seems reasonable as he is only about 5 miles away so they will do me, even though I would like to give the V-Max 20GR a try.

My biggest problem is why there should be such a large price difference, can anyone shed a bit of light on the subject?

Maybe, I am only going by what he quoted, and he was specific about saying 20GR!

Edit: Just done a search and Yes Hornady do manufacture a 20 GR 17HMR Bullet - see this link:

http://www.hornady.com/store/17-HMR/

Edited by Frenchieboy

not a vmax though, I'd avoid them the hollow points don't tend to expand on rabbits and you just get little holes straight through things which leads to runners and they do tend to ricochet more. I've kept a few just in case i have to despatch anything at close range but they aren't as good a put down round as the .17 vmax

not a vmax though, I'd avoid them the hollow points don't tend to expand on rabbits and you just get little holes straight through things which leads to runners and they do tend to ricochet more. I've kept a few just in case i have to despatch anything at close range but they aren't as good a put down round as the .17 vmax

I get that a lot even with the ballistic tips. I have found that probably 50% do not expand at all and leave the rabbits looking like they died of fright. Where as the other 50% leave them looking like they have been bombed.

I am paying £9.30 for 50 Remington Accutips. It seems I am the only person who is buying from my local shop and he has loads in stock.

I get that a lot even with the ballistic tips. I have found that probably 50% do not expand at all and leave the rabbits looking like they died of fright. Where as the other 50% leave them looking like they have been bombed.

I am paying £9.30 for 50 Remington Accutips. It seems I am the only person who is buying from my local shop and he has loads in stock.

Yep me too, had one recently that went straight through at 120 long paces. EE and I shot a couple within 6 feet of oneanother couple weeks back - one didn't have a visible mark on it and the other was mashed. Gotta be to do with whether or not they hit bone?

Mind you have had the same thing with .22lr - that can def. pass straight though at 85+ paces.

£10.30 for 50 for me at the weekend. .22lr subs at £4 per 100 - should use the .22 more - need to get a better scope on it though as it's hard work compared to the one on the HMR.

Yep me too, had one recently that went straight through at 120 long paces. EE and I shot a couple within 6 feet of oneanother couple weeks back - one didn't have a visible mark on it and the other was mashed. Gotta be to do with whether or not they hit bone?

i have seen that as well, infact at the longer ranges (80 mtrs+) the damage overall is worse, i think because its slowing down ? :lol:

I dont think its fair to name and shame

but we are not shaming them,We are just comparing the best deals,its not as though these suppliers have failed to provide is it.

It is merely locating the best buy.

please keep it real guys,a bargain is a bargain and dont feel like you are having ago at the supplier,just by helping people looking for a good deal.

it happens all the time on money saving expert for all kinds of goods.

so why not here for the shooter or hunter

seems perfectly acceptable to me :hmm: :yp:

Edited by jonevo

I agree. If a shop wants to charge more then its upto them. In this day and age there is nothing wrong with shopping about to get the best price. Its what helps keep a market competative.

It never fails to amaze me the differences places charge in price for exactly the same goods. I dont mind paying a little extra sometimes if it a small friendly little shop as they sometimes dont sell the volumes of larger shops and so need to charge slightly more. But when they are hugely more expensive, I cant justiify it and I walk.