Lamping Foxes....

AndyCM

I went out lamping with a mate last night on a recently cut wheat field, using both .17hmr and .243.

Lots of activity, this field has not been shot for a while. We had three within 40 mins, all with the .17hmr and between 60-100 yards. All dropped immediately, using CCI TNT hollow points (better than BT's for foxes).

It was easy, considering the moon was out, and no cloud cover - we were making shadows in the moon light, not ideal for lamping.

The plan of slowly walking along the well worn tractor tracks, and stopping at every other bale for a scan (and bipod rest) worked well. We saw six foxes, and a badger, shot three of the foxes before moving onto another area. Here are two of the foxes, what colour filter did we use ? ???

A return visit to that field will be fairly soon.

Cheers

AndyCM

post-11-1124278249.jpg

Nice one :rolleyes: .

My guess would be, RED. :lol:

Keep up the good work :lol:

P.S,

You were talking about BT verses HP in another post.

Below is a fox i took, a few weeks ago, with my .204, at 287 yds, using the 40 grain V.max bullet.

The damage as you can see was dramatic :lol: .

The bullet enterd the right shoulder and exited at the back left leg, gutting it and taking off the leg. :oops:

Edited by Frank

Hi Frank,

I bet whatever you use at 4000 odd fps does the biz.

I look forward to trying a .204 one day, seems a great round.

Specifically to the .17hmr (only doing 2,500 fps !) I have found the BT's too explosive on some quarry, and of course a much limited range compared to the .204.

287 yards is some distance and then to have the effect you got. Wow, good shooting.

I have recently gone back to BT's in my .243 - accurate and they do the job on deer & foxes. Sometimes I find the .243 not the appropriate calibre to use on foxes in some locations I shoot.

Cheers

AndyCM

Thanks Andy :lol:. Iv been recently using the 32 grain v.max in the .204, as the 40s dont seem as accurate.

The only trouble i have found with the 32s is they tend to explode quicker :lol: .

Recently a couple of foxes that i got threw the shoulder, had to be quickly dispatched with a second shot, as the 32 did not penatrate enough to reach the vitals :*) . I might make do with the 40s for now :oops: .

Ammunition for the .204 is limited at the moment, what is needed is a good hallow point or soft point :rolleyes: .

I am going to try for a .223, which are starting to get licenced more over here in Ireland.

The selection of ammo for the .223 is endless and excellent. :lol:

Edited by Frank