LT245 70R 16 tyres - help

darren m

help -- is this an akward size or what :rolleyes:

i,m looking for 2 tyres used but good or new ( but cheaper than BFG's )

anyone know who sells this size i,ve searched the net but had no look apart from BFG , but sadly i cant afford those prices ( £140 each ) right now :angry:

thanks

PS someone tell me what the LT , 245 , 70R - means please -- thanks :rolleyes:

tyres are load rated, so the lowest is P = passenger or a simple R, if LT = light truck SUV etc, or C = heavier rated often Van tyres, often the clue is the max tyre pressure some P tyres only go to 37psi but C tyres can go to 60psi.

245 is the width, if you look on makers websites tyre widths it will give the rim widths for any tyre size.

/70 is the width to depth ratio, often not so much choice for offroad tyres the smaller the number, You could get away with /75 only a bit larger on diameter for say mud tyres. Technically larger diameter tyres = speedo reading a bit low, but I fitted larger wheels to my old Ranger they went up by 3inches diameter and I allowed say -10% say 27mph in a 30 limit.

Overall for insurance reasons stay with the original limits but if they are all round or in same type pairs I can't see a problem.

Slightly off topic, my L200 has 265/70 x16" but I picked up up a set of 31 - 10 x15" mud tyres on alloys for nough from a keeper ( worth say 600), as I realized they were the same diameter and width as the originals. Other keepers mates turned them down as they didn't realize they would fit ok.

hope this helps :rolleyes: I just tried the 'Bridgestone' site go for the SUV 4x4 section and all the info on tyre rating is there :angry:

Edited by pigeon popper

tyres are load rated, so the lowest is P = passenger or a simple R, if LT = light truck SUV etc, or C = heavier rated often Van tyres, often the clue is the max tyre pressure some P tyres only go to 37psi but C tyres can go to 60psi.

245 is the width, if you look on makers websites tyre widths it will give the rim widths for any tyre size.

/70 is the width to depth ratio, often not so much choice for offroad tyres the smaller the number, You could get away with /75 only a bit larger on diameter for say mud tyres. Technically larger diameter tyres = speedo reading a bit low, but I fitted larger wheels to my old Ranger they went up by 3inches diameter and I allowed say -10% say 27mph in a 30 limit.

Overall for insurance reasons stay with the original limits but if they are all round or in same type pairs I can't see a problem.

Slightly off topic, my L200 has 265/70 x16" but I picked up up a set of 31 - 10 x15" mud tyres on alloys for nough from a keeper ( worth say 600), as I realized they were the same diameter and width as the originals. Other keepers mates turned them down as they didn't realize they would fit ok.

hope this helps :rolleyes: I just tried the 'Bridgestone' site go for the SUV 4x4 section and all the info on tyre rating is there :angry:

PP - could i mix 245 /75 /16 on back with 245 /70/16 on front

lets say I would, as they will only be say 1/2" dia larger but as you say keep them in pairs. Mainly as the load should be the same on both tyres, as any difference in the tyres could cause a breakout in the wet. Maybe somebody will disagree. I'm runing around with A/T 265/70 16" on the front with M/T 31 /10 x 15" on the back as I don't like M/T on both ends, works great both on and 'real' off road, back to A/T all around at the end of winter.

My L200 is 265/70 x 16 but I have a 265/75 16 as a spare, technically not quite right but practically I can't see any difference., or anybody will notice. I would prefer it that way, than a 3/4 worn tyre.

I don't have any Falken tyres but I have heard they are ok, It's balancing cost against value of the vehicle and how long you plan to keep it

Edited by pigeon popper