Various roebuck medal heads

sako751sg

Some of the heads i have taken over the last 8-9 years.The missus restricts the wall space i get,so the more average medal heads go on ebay now.All of the heads were taken within 12 miles of home,2 with the winchester mod70 in .223,and the rest with the Sako 75 varmint in .243.The biggest head scored just over 167 cic points and was taken last year,and the best this year was a 10 pointer that scored 157.5 points.The reason some are missing the medals is that i am waiting for the new medals to be sent out.The single head,was a huge beast the old fella shot,but unbelievably when dried it only weighed 410g,and the make up of the antlers must have been very porous.When we first saw the head,i thought it was a stone wall gold,and couldnt believe such a set could weigh so little.Will try and post a youtube clip of a silver taken this year,that missed gold by 2 points,but im not sure if it will work.

post-18885-1258979631.jpg

post-18885-1258979667.jpg

Cheers Doc.Vey lucky with the ground,very rich and lush and always seems to produce some cracking heads.4 of the heads on the wall have came off approx 1 acre of mixed trees,mostly hard woods,where a mature buck always seems to move in when the existing has been shot.The nearest other trees would be about 600 yards from the acre,and it must be a prime spot for a big buck for reasons known only to them.I probably shoot an average of ten bucks off the surrounding area,i have permission of about 350 acres in that area,and i havent shot a doe there for 5 years.There is a big wood,1000 acre plus that marches with the ground,and the influx is never ending.Not a great believer of all cull ratios and "facts" quoted about roe,as we all seem to have experienced things with them that go against the grain.I think its a good idea to get to know your land,and sort something out that works for you and the roe.Lucky enough to have about 4000 acres all in,but most of the places are only around the 100 acre mark,but have a good density of animals.

Sako you are a lucky man and I guess it just goes to show that despite the volumes written about Roe, they havnt read the books :angry:

we have about 10000 acres around Exeter way and have very poor heads, we take 40 to 60 animals a year and it is mixed fallow and roe with a few sika and red.

I am not sure of the reason for the lack of trophy heads, land is ok mixed wood and fields, not over populated but think it is the quality of the feed. guess we will never know and thats what makes Roe so interesting

Doc

Doc and Fineyoung,both have mentioned examples where it should be ideal for good quality heads but they are not there.We tend to get the worse of the winter up north,even though its not harsh nowadays,and you would think that wouldnt suit producing good heads,but thats not the case.Maybe the mineral content in the ground makes a big difference,but not sure.One thing i do put out,is salt block licks,but i still wouldnt say that that is a contributing factor with any certainty.I think an open mind is needed with the roe,and as Doc says,thats what makes them so interesting.Can i thank Mark Robson and Henry D for explaining why the pics wouldnt load on an earlier post too.

Hi some very good heads for your area but Aberdeenshire is starting to see more & more good heads comming out the wood work now. Think the global warmming thing could be a slight answer to it & arable land has changed so much up your way with winter rape & more little syndicate's cropping up help to with game feeders being hit by roe.

Sako you are a lucky man and I guess it just goes to show that despite the volumes written about Roe, they havnt read the books :good:

we have about 10000 acres around Exeter way and have very poor heads, we take 40 to 60 animals a year and it is mixed fallow and roe with a few sika and red.

I am not sure of the reason for the lack of trophy heads, land is ok mixed wood and fields, not over populated but think it is the quality of the feed. guess we will never know and thats what makes Roe so interesting

Doc

Doc a simple answer to your question is a ginetic thing as said & your main problem in my eyes is the 3 species of marodding deer red/sika/fallow who do the roe a browser no favours at all & have made winter feeding & disturbance stress on the roe.

• 2 weeks later...
I certainly think the amount of arable land is a big factor lots more feed and that makes for bigger heads.Also must be okay for essential minerals! Nice heads.

I agree Fallow,the lusher and rich the ground i think does pay a big part.Im not that convinced with the genetic theory,as antler growth is reliant on minerals,calcium and other things and without that i dont think how big the old fellas antlers were would make any difference.Sweden conducted tests on roe for many years,and some of the results were very strange.I think one example was a buck they reared from a kid,had a mediocre head for something like 4 years,and then the 5th was an exceptainal gold.I do think the milder winters play a big part,as that is when the antler need the best of scoff to enhance growth.Nobody really knows,and again an open mind is needed.

Personally I'd say it's all to do with the gene pool. Why else would one area support very good heads whilst another with similar food and climate only appear to support mediocre heads. Why else would some of our East Anglian Reds be so huge if it wasn't for the introduction of some Elk/Waputi blood into the gene pool many yeras ago? Why else would some deer park mangers live capture good bucks to send to other parks elsewhere in the country if not to improve the gene pool? Why else would farmers pay a small (sometimes very large) fortune to breed from champion stock? It's in the genes!

Damn nice heads there sako

some cracking trophies there fella

i'm just starting to find my feet with deer stalking i'm going out with a friend who said he would mentor me, so here the dumb question could you please explian to me about this medal system what makes a gold etc and how the points are scored,

we where out about a month ago and saw a massive roe buck with 3 does would love to know what he would score but he will have to wait till he's in season again

Dave

some cracking trophies there fella

i'm just starting to find my feet with deer stalking i'm going out with a friend who said he would mentor me, so here the dumb question could you please explian to me about this medal system what makes a gold etc and how the points are scored,

we where out about a month ago and saw a massive roe buck with 3 does would love to know what he would score but he will have to wait till he's in season again

Dave

The head after preperation must be left for a drying period of 3 months to dry out.I would recommend a full skull,less bottom jaw,and from this they will deduct 90grams.They weigh the head,and every 10 grams equals 1 point.EG,gross weight 569 grams,minus 90g gives you net weight of 479g which equals 47.9 points.

They achieve the volume by weighing in water,and subtracting that weight from the gross dry weight,and multiplying that amount by 0.3.Confusing to read,but in practice is very easy.These two scores will be the majority of your points.

Each antler is measured,averaged,and multiplied by 0.5.Eg,right antler 24.5cm,left antler 25.5cm gives you an average of 25cmx0.5 equals 12.5 points.

The span at the widest point between the beams is measured,and i think anything below 33% of the length scores 0 points,and i cant remember off hand the percentages to points,although anything over 75% scores nil.Only a max of 4 points available on span.

Scored for colour,darker the better,again a max of 4 points.

Pearling,bigger and more the better,again max of 4 points.

Coronets,again bigger and well shaped the better,max 4 again.

Tine ends,for completion,sharp and well polished,max of 2 points.

Regularity and quality.Very grey area and they score different every year it seems.Never seem to get a straight answer when you query.Max 5 points.

They can also deduct up to 5 points,for flaws as in extra points.

I hope this hasnt confused you more,and if you want to put in CIC International into your google,they have example certificates that show it more clearly.

The scoring can be very inconsistant,and heads that scored years ago would not make as much points with todays scoring.Although its only maybe a couple of points,it can be the difference from no medal at all,or from silver to a gold.I always score my heads before getting them judged,usually at Scone game fair,and if you interact with them when you get to know them,they will come and go a little bit and this year they have been excellent.

For bronze,the head needs to score between 105 and 114.99 points.Silver,115 and 129.99 points.Anything above is gold.

Once again i hope this helps,and good luck with the roe in the future.

If the clip downloads,it shows a silver that scored 128 points,but they were very harsh with the scoring,but the next time i had heads scored by them,they were totally different.If they had scored it the second time i saw them this year,it would have been gold.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> Edited by sako751sg

thanks for that sako will take some getting me head arround that but will have a look on google we are out next week so will take the camera and fingers cross may see the buck in question but i won't hold my breath

Probably wont have antlers to photo though,most/all bucks should have shed by now and probably started regrowing.It is an easy procedure once you get to know it,although from judge to judge there will always be discrepincies of a point here and there.