Chickens killed by dog

agusta

Two of my chickens have been killed by a dog today, another one has had its back feathers ripped off.

I'm fairly certain which dog it is (free to roam!), the cheeky b**tard even took a **** right next to one of the chickens it had just killed. I'm more than happy to shoot it if its caught within my chicken pen or within my field, but before I do how do I stand legally, am I within my rights to take this action?

Report it to the police this time and get a crime number this way if you do shoot it in the future then atleast you will have hard evidence that you have had issues with this dog previously and you had made other efforts before shooting it ! :good:

Cover you back always, am sure yourd be leagally fine shooting it aslong as you were with in your license remits etc but with a crime number you have a proven history should the owners kick off ! :huh:

As above, report it as a problem dog, get an incident number.

Maybe go and ask the owners for some recompence for the lost chickens, warn the owners of the consequences, if it comes on again, and you're cleared shoot it, thats what I'd do IMO

It has happend twice to me, first time it got 18 of 22 (owner paid for them), second time another dog got 5 and the owner ran away. next time it happens and if I catch the dog it will recieve a royal kicking.

My chicken pen is now surrounded by two rows of electic fence :good:

I know how you feel, I've lost 5 to local dogs :good: my fault really cos I let them free range in the field out the back, saying that though, the ****wit dog owners shouldn't be walking their hounds across the farmers field :huh:

Don't know how you would stand if you shot the dog though?

I put up signs "I catch your dog attacking my chickens, I'll attack your dog" :blush:

SS

No matter how tempting, do not go blasting a dog for killing chickens - you have certain powers to destroy dogs worrying livestock but I am certain(99%) that fowl/birds etc are not covered. You could claim that the dog was dangerously out of control but would still probably grip the rail and have to show that you genuinely feared for yours/anothers safety or safety of another dog and chickens would not come into it. To back yourself up, do as suggested and try and make your protection sturdier. Definately report the fact although it would be noted (depending on your forces local procedures) as a non crime incident - at least you have shown that this has happened previously should you have to take drastic action against the dog - I've known similar incidents where bods have tried to report it as criminal damage to their property but the crimes were immediately no crimed so don't expect any sort of police response.

A man walks into a bar and asks the bartender for a double' entondre' - so the barman gave him one.

Doesn't it make you really angry when something like this happens. I once lived in a remote part of Western Ireland. Bought 6 hens and let em go. They had around 5 acres of well wild to roam around. They were a real hit with the family, friendly, loyal and 6 eggs every day. All you needed to do to find them was rattle the tin containing the pellets and they came running like a scene from Jurasic Park. Put themselves to bed-idilic. Lost one, then another next day. A few days later two more went. Right that's it, fox you gonna pay big time for this :blink:

I stayed out till 4 in the morning armed to the teeth, Rambo would have legged it if he saw me that night.

Next day one left. Man I had a serious monk on...

A day or so later I was deep in the woods that surrounded the cottage and heard something running towards me at full pelt. I melted into the undergrowth and snapped the safety off on my 12. Hmm there goes my MUT with the last of them wedged in his gob. I followed quiet and quick and soon dicovered his burial ground. They were all there in various states of mutilation. He looked at me and I at him. Terror was written in his eyes and he bolted. Good idea brother!

Saw him in the boat shed a few hours later laying really low. Chin on the floor, eyes sad. Apparantly he was jealous. Gave him a look of pure contempt and moved on. Should have chinned the ***.

So yeah, you have my sympathy. :blink:

Thanks for the advice everyone :blink:

I have one hen left which is unharmed and the other which is injured but seems to be recovering, gave it a spray with some cyclo so we have a blue hen running around at the mo :blink:

I've had words with the farmers in the area and they also have had issues with a dog, so I'm not the only one looking out!

There are also sheep in the field, so if the ba***rd thinks about popping over for lunch again its in for a surprise :hmm:

My own opinion on this would be to snare the dog, (at the hen-house door) or give it a lead injection, and make it "disappear".

There is no doubt about killing a dog worrying poultry.

We had a wild golden retriever with hapless owners in our area who ended up scattering our poultry to the four winds (hens and ducks), after killing two of them.

He was well known in the area: running away, chasing sheep, cattle and poultry. The mutt was stupid enough to come when I called him, he was locked in the basement, (after I clipped him round the lug), and the owner was summoned, told in no uncertain terms what woudl happen next time.....(loosely related to 12G activity)... and he ****** off muttering comments about threats of gunfire etc. Apparently he complained to the local plod, who told him I had every right to off his dog.

I would have done it but the damn thing was so big, I didn't fancy digging the hole....

The dog was "re-homed", so some other owner has the pleasure of keeping it under control.

FG

RESULT!

I caught the dog trying to get into the pen, unfortunately I didn't have my gun at the time!

Went over to the owner and gave him one hell of a ####ing and warned him of the consequences if this happens again.