First boar

Dunkield

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stuart I went out lamping last night and had a good night but struggled getting everything lined up in the scope and by the time i did, the rabbit had hopped off :| but it brought a smile to my face when i started thinking how i was struggling with a Bunny when you guys have all been out shooting wild boar....think i need alot more practise with a riffle before i attempt any wild boar :D

Edited by Spaniel

Don't go posting anything on the BBS - I wouldn't want to share a trip next year with a van load of "ballistic brothers"; full of great stories about their re-loading set ups, bizarre black powder pistols and 1/2" groupings at 200 yards.

yet the invite to the Herts boys does include Gary doesn't it :|

well done again Stu, looks like a cracking time was had.

Cracking write up Stuart, thanks for sharing it with us. I heard it was about time you had some luck on this trip? Luckily it looks like a place that offers a great time even if nothing's shot. You should definately keep it up. You're just beginning to get the hang of it. I like your comment about inch perfect shot placement. I take it we're overlooking the one you shot in the **** (sorry, back leg)? ???

Looking at the pictures I can see why you'd want to only go with good safe shots. There's not a lot of room for error in that set up is there. I would like to give it a go one day if there's space, I'm sure the mrs wouldn't mind me blowing her handbag budget every once in a while and it's about time I did another hunting trip with you know who.

Last of all, welcome to the forum E. It's good to see you over here :unsure:

Well done Stuart :unsure:

I see you have done away with the red dot sight in favour of a scope .

Yes I was fairly happy with the 3-12 set at 3 Ive, I kept imgaging shots wondering if it would be ok and in the event it was.

I don't believe in spanking loads of money on dedicated kit for a couple of days hunting a year, bit if I did I would get a 1.5-6 Swaro, easily the best setup to cover most situations.

There is one club that is a head and shoulders above the rest and which consistently delivers the most beaters and pigs, and not all groups get to visit it. I was rather hoping that we would keep that quiet for next year Stuart :unsure:

That same estate produced a total of zero pigs for the group before us last year, it's what you make of it, not necessarily the place.

NJC, Thanks for the welcome.

As regards trips with Frank, it's not all about killing Boar ???

Half the fun/enjoyment is the change of scenery/company and getting a chance to shoot at a Boar :unsure:

Oh I nearly forgot, and the chance to have deep discussions about favourite calibres and powder types and charges and millionths of thou off the lands etc etc and who has shot the smallest animal/bird at the furthest distance etc etc :blush:

I have just done a zeroing session to check my 30-06 rifle, just in case it got banged on the last trip.

It is still spot on but I am always cautious of these modular/breakdown rifles.

I had four inches cut off the barrel and had a new forend made for it and got Warne QD mounts for the two 'scopes I intend to use.

I have a Schmidt and Bender Zenith Flashdot 1.2-4x24 zeroed at 50 metres with 180gn bullets for Driven Boar and another S&B Zenith Flashdot 3-12x50 zeroed at 100metres with 150gn bullets for Deer.

The whole bundle fits into a Winchester Breakdown Shotgun case so is much more 'carrier friendly'

Oh I forgot to say it is a Styre Luxus and with two barrels, a 30-06 and a .243 for which I have another S&B 'scope for use with the .243 barrel, I reckon I have enough selection to go almost anywhere.

I have just re-read this post and think it just about makes sense, but then if it doesn't, it could be me being myself :o

I like your comment about inch perfect shot placement. I take it we're overlooking the one you shot in the **** (sorry, back leg)? :unsure:

They were 2 different shots at 2 different pigs.

One was running accross a ride at about 70 yards away, and one was trotting along in front of me at about 50 yards.

Both shot off hand with about half a second to get 'on them'

I did mention armchair experts further up the thread, but I didn't necessary have you in mind at the time ??? :o

I'm not as active/fit as I used to be, so I suppose I will be classed as an 'Armchair Expert' soon :o

On some of the narrow rides, where you have to stand with your back to the edge of the cover, the direction from which the beaters and, hopefully, Boar are coming, you only get the chance of a shot at a Boar from behind and as distasteful as it may seem, that is the expected way to down one sometimes.

I have passed on a few such targets in the past and been chastised for not taking the shot.

It is something you have to make your own mind up about.

You could take it and hope the bullet goes right through and doesn't make too much of a 'larger' hole on exit, then you could spin a yarn about it being shot from the front, and face all the disbelief, as it would appear it was one charging you ??? :unsure:

NJ,

I do all my trips by booking with the agent as an individual and get the agent to fill the group.

There doesn't seem to be anybody in my part of the country that wants to go in case they miss a days pheasant shooting :good:

After so many trips you start to meet people from previous trips and get to know them.

It's quite good actually because you never know who is going and when you arrive at Heathrow you start to look for others with 'funny shaped' luggage.

I am now meeting several guys that have turned up all over the place, Poland, Germany, Czech Republic and of course Croatia.

I don't always use the same agent and I still bump into guys from previous trips.

It is not the cheapest 'Holiday' but it is definitely the best value for money.

Regarding the safety aspect of it, everybody is aware and keeps a sneeky look at each other and if there are any dodgy customers they would soon be taken to task, so far I have not met any that needed to.

You ought to start saving and fill your boots next season.

Good luck,

Eddy McC

Well done mate, having shot there with you before it really is a heart beating moment when you hear them coming at you. The most important thing is having those safe guns around you because when the beast is coming, you want to concentrate on that and not other things. I would also like to say they taste nice too, i remember eating those steaks over the open fire. The whole experience was good crack especially with the OTC!!. :good:

• 3 weeks later...

And the belated punchline to the story (that I keep forgetting to update) is, the man at CIC he say the tusks make 104.7 CIC points, so just shy of the 110 required for a bronze medal.

Never mind, a good excuse to go back for a bigger one, and they will still look good hanging on the wall of the downstairs toilet :good:

• 5 years later...