Blasted article

rodp

A couple of years ago we took in a cross breed bitch (Staffy / Lurcher) that was due for the needle. Good dog, comes to the call, catches rats and rabbits no problem, runs like the wind, very loving dog. But, and this is the problem, in two years she's never been 100% house trained, she just doesn't get it.

When we first took her in she lived at the works so no problem, but now she has to live at home (along with a Lab) and we cannot do with the mess.

Anyone got any ideas to teach this stupid animal that waiting for the owner to turn his back then having a c**p on the living room floor isn't a good idea!!! :blink:

I'm afraid it's going to be big needle time again for her if she doesn't get her act together. We've tried for two years, we've even tried putting her outside in a run and kennel but that leads to problems when the Lab needs to go (neighbours don't like two dogs "talking" at 2 am.

Anyone want a dog? It most definitely doesn't like cats and small dogs etc and she's got a bite like a steam hammer.

Help!

"the needle" ? You mean have her put down ? Your seriously going to kill the dog because you never bothered to house train her ? :blink:

From what you have said it sounds like at night you put the lab in the run but leave the lurcher inside, why dont you put the lurcher in the run and leave the lab inside ? :hmm: :blink:

"the needle" ? You mean have her put down ? Your seriously going to kill the dog because you never bothered to house train her ? :blink:

From what you have said it sounds like at night you put the lab in the run but leave the lurcher inside, why dont you put the lurcher in the run and leave the lab inside ? :hmm: :blink:

You've got completely the wrong end of the stick here. BOTH dogs are in the house now. The lurcher used to live at our works until we closed it (reccession) 12 months ago.

We took the dog in to save it from the needle and have tried for TWO YEARS to house train her, to no avail. The last thing we want is to put her down but having one dog outside (lurcher) and one in the house (Lab) doesn't work, and, the bitch (Lurcher) craps all over the house.

We have tried all we know, we have no more options hence asking if anyone had any ideas that may work. It's not nice to get up or come in from work all the time to dog c**p and pee. It's also not nice to put her out, watch her go down the garden for 10 minutes or so, let her back in then go to the kitchen to make a coffee and walk back in to the living room to a pile of c**p.

She's a dirty animal and nothing we do alters it.

Rod

Edited by rodp

If you can't keep the dog, at least find someone who will rehome it. Why should it deserve to die because you can't train it?

Ahh, there's the catch see. Not only have we spent 2 YEARS trying to house train it we.ve also spent app £500 on it when the old bill decided she was a pit bull (yes, I know, what a load of cobblers) and put her in kennels awaiting trial (yes, the DOG was charged according to plod)

They then left her without food or water for days when they forgot she was in the kennels (fact) so we had vets bills, micro chip bill, tattoo bill, insurance bill, some other bill for registration.

Unless she runs off or dies we cannot get rid of her (legally, know what I mean, wink, wink :blink: )

So you see, I'm not the evil monster you first thought, I've spent a lot of money and time on a rescue dog.

Don't always judge a book by it's cover :blink:

Ok..... the previous answers haven't been that help full, the guys come on asking for advice, it seems to me the last thing he wants to do is have the animal put down.

I'm no expert, but have you tried sending him out in the garden & encouraging him to do his business if he dont then bring him back inside leaving the door open, keep an eye on him constantly until he starts to go for a ****. As soon as you see him going for it, get after him dragging him out side to finish it off, then lots of praise treats etc....

I think all you have to do is associate going to toilet outside means lots of praise & treats. Failing that there are believe it or not dog psychiatrists that should be able to sort the problem out, but be prepared for them to blame you for the dogs mishaps. Hope this is of some help.

I do agree with the others though the needle shouldn't be an option, this problem can be sorted.

Sorry just seen its a she.

SS

Edited by Stealth Stalker

Ok, but I still believe that a dog, which is not vicious and is a good companion should not deserve to die. Pitbulls, Staffies etc etc are getting it pretty bad right now, but I do fully support destroying any dogs that are vicious and a clear risk to others. So you have to count your blessings here and think that it could be a lot worse.

Have you really exhausted every option?

Dog Flap?

Rubbing his nose in it?

Placing the poo in the garden in one area to build up a natural pooing area?

Does he get walked on a regular basis?

Bark collar for when the dogs are outdoors?

There are more, I'm sure people will add them here if you like.

Any dog with half a brain will work out that they will get a walk if they hold it in. You have to associate a treat with him going outside to poo.

Edited by harfordwmj

I think all you have to do is associate going to toilet outside means lots of praise & treats.

Yep, done that for months on end.

I'm no expert, but have you tried sending him out in the garden & encouraging him to do his business if he dont then bring him back inside leaving the door open,

Yep, done that also.

If you're watching she goes outside. If it's raining she hides out of sight under a bush for a few minutes then comes back as though she's been. Minute you turn you're back she does it in the house (warm and dry)

If you can be with her 24 / 7 no problem, turn your back and BUMP, there's a ****.

I'm no expert but I think the best option would be to keep the dog outside or in a garage. If you cant control the toilet habbits maybe you can control the barking. Could you soundproof a kennel? Have you tried keeping the dog inside in a crate? I don't think they like fouling in their bed so if you get a crate just big enough and she is shut in there all the time unless she is in the garden it may work. Once she gets the hang of it she could come out of the crate.

Harry

sorry to ask this but are you sure that you've exhausted every way of re-training her?

is she walked,and how long for?

have you tried keeping her locked up in a confined place for a period then letting her out to do her business?(most dog's wont **** where they sleep).then praising her for doing it outside.i appreciate that nobody on here knows how much time or effort you've put into trying to re-train this dog but surely giving it the big needle is a little to far just for being dirty.

my lab goes out at 6pm for about a 1 to 3 mile's. most nights i dont hear anything from her until when i get up at 6 am then i take her for another mile walk and she goes into her run which she very rarely messes in.

Is this too far to go? It'll stop the mess and I'm sure she'll learn pretty quick

She wouldn't put up with that, she would rip it off.

have you tried keeping her locked up in a confined place for a period then letting her out to do her business?(most dog's wont **** where they sleep).then praising her for doing it outside.i appreciate that nobody on here knows how much time or effort you've put into trying to re-train this dog but surely giving it the big needle is a little to far just for being dirty.

my lab goes out at 6pm for about a 1 to 3 mile's. most nights i dont hear anything from her until when i get up at 6 am then i take her for another mile walk and she goes into her run which she very rarely messes in.

Yep, she goes for a walk, makes no odds. She will in fact mess in her run / kennel area (when we tried a kennel) rather than go out if it's damp or cold.

I'm no expert but I think the best option would be to keep the dog outside or in a garage. If you cant control the toilet habbits maybe you can control the barking. Could you soundproof a kennel?

Can't go in the garage or workshop, there's just too much stuff that would harm her. There's tools and chemicals etc under benches and on low shelves to be safe, and there's just not enough room to move the stuff.

Kennel was insulated with PVC, Regentex and Kingspan so we tried there.

Honestly, we've tried everything we can think of but all to no avail, this is a last resort. Unless anyone knows a legal way to transfer ownership of a "pitbull".

Believe me, two years of trying and putting up with a dirty dog is a long time.

Is there a way to get your 'pitbull' certified that it's not a pitbull. If you say it's not one, there must be a way to prove it. DNA?

No, absolutely not. It's down to the police dog handler involved and not even a vet can over rule it, good eh :blink:

Must be well trained these police dog handlers when they know more than the vet that looks after all the animals in Dudley zoo. Apparently, (so we've been told) they work on a set of rules from some American organisation, if the dog physically fits these definitions it's a pitbull, end of story.

We applied these definitions (when we were given the list) to our Lab and he fitted perfectly, so, if the lab had been accused and the court had not seen him (which they don't) he would be a pitbull.

A couple of definitions on the list were such as; broad head, strong wide snout and mouth, broad stance etc, etc and the dog just has to fit into a few of these to be a pitbull !!!

Unfortunately we live not far from an area where the Asian lads strut around looking "ard" with their pitbulls so the police are always looking out for them.

this just gets better and better and yes a tall Staffy looking dog is usually a Pit Bull as is an "Irish" Staffie

Ignoring that I'm actually not with the general concensus there is nothing actually cruel about putting an untrainable dog down and yes you can't house a dog inside if it won't stop messing. If you can't rehome legally then the best option is putting it down as you don't know that no one else will abuse the dog bearing in mind its bad habbits. Bearing in mind its also a liability with cats and dogs then it probably is the best option, passing the problem onto someone else is fine in theory but in practie better not to. After all give the dog to the RSPCA and the first thing they will do is put it down as they know it won't be rehomed safely or properly

sorry to sound harsh, but if you've given up on this dog give it to someone who's prepared to give it the attention it needs and then tell anyone that pokes their noses in that it's run off :|

Perfect answer I know but it's finding someone who has a suitable property. She's great with dogs that aren't small and fluffy, she's good to heel etc, but, she really needs to be on a farm / smallholding etc where she can live with other dogs in a run or barn. She loves attention and affection, she's just dirty.

I think she must have been outside from a pup and is now "conditioned" to that way of life. If it wasn't for the lab, who lives inside, barking to her through the patio windows and trying to get to her when he goes outside she could live in a run here. At this present moment it just doesn't work.

If anyone wants a "run away" I can deliver, in fact I would want to so I can take a look where she's going.

You might not like this, but it will work - well, 99% confident.

Dogs become habitual about where to defecate. A dog that defecates on tarmac will always look for tarmac just as a dog that always defecates on grass will always look for grass to do it on. They will also use the same spot if possible. Your dog has become habitual in doing it in the house. This leaves you with two main problems to solve - the habit and the smell.

My suggestion would be to confine the dog outside on grass in a small kennel / run for a few days. That's all it will take. Once the dog has done its business on grass for a couple of days it will be easier to get it to defecate on other grass if you can walk the dog at the times it prefers to defecate. The second stage requires you to praise the dog whilst giving a soft command; "Get done" or similar. This should encourage the dog to defecate on command when it is possible to do so.

Some really good suggestions here, but it does sound like you may have given up in your head with this dog. No dog is 100% untrainable, and I'm sure you've just got to persevere and it'll come right in the end. However, if you are truly truly resigned to parting company, then please for gods sake speak to someone like the Dogs Trust or similar organisation. Lack of toilet training is no reason to have a dog put down, and I reckon being good at catching rats and the toilet issue, this dog would make a cracking yard dog for someone with a stable-yard or similar.

Best of luck, and I hope you carry on trying....

My suggestion would be to confine the dog outside on grass in a small kennel / run for a few days. That's all it will take. Once the dog has done its business on grass for a couple of days it will be easier to get it to defecate on other grass if you can walk the dog at the times it prefers to defecate. The second stage requires you to praise the dog whilst giving a soft command; "Get done" or similar. This should encourage the dog to defecate on command when it is possible to do so.

Hi, thanks for the help but if you read back you will see we have already tried that, for months on end :unsure:

if you are truly truly resigned to parting company, then please for gods sake speak to someone like the Dogs Trust or similar organisation.

Thanks but it's illegal to give her away therefore an "official" body would not consider rehoming her.

and I reckon being good at catching rats and the toilet issue, this dog would make a cracking yard dog for someone with a stable-yard or similar.

Perfect answer, and I would risk the fine for "losing" her. Problem is, who and where?

I do not want her put down but as it is at the moment there's no other answer. The law stops us legally rehoming her in any form or way but we do not have the yard or stable block to suit her ways.

I've had dogs since I was a nipper and have tried every way I know to train her, all to no avail. I think it's so ingrained in her now that it's instinct to take a t**d when she feels like it and no-one's watching.

Thanks for all the help folks, we'll see how it goes.