one for the mechanics?

pegleg31

Is there anyway you can get a catB write off back on the road?

and if there is how do you go about doing it?

i've been looking at a shooting vehicle but as ive already got a work van and a car(that the missus wont let me get muddied up :blink: )i was thinking of buying a cheap 4x4 to chuck the dog's in and would'nt care about knocks and stuff.now i've seen a car that apparently is ok the only problem is when you try and insure it it's coming back as a catB write off even though the dvla says it's not?it's mot'd but the insurance companies still say it's a write off.

not sure if this is worth pursuing or not :blink:

mot doesn't make it right tho, it might be a really good cover up job.

The only thing i can advise is speak to either or both the DVLA and insurance company and request detailed classification of what is a CAT"B" write off and can they be repaired. If they can then you will need to go to a ministery inspection centre to get it checked and approved.

I wouldn't bother with it though, sounds like more trouble than its worth.

did the previous owner have insurance? can you find out from the log book?

ive just texted the reg number to the dvla text check and ive had 2 differnet replies?

first one back;

diahtsu fourtrak 2.8

4 owners

no colour change

no stolen record

not scrapped

second one;

r305 *** is damage category=B.loss date 04-04-2003.Break for spare parts if economically viable.

so which one's correct? :blink:

could have beeen written of as an uneacanomicical repair if so it can go back on the road.it would need a new mot if this was the case.

i think that's only on cat"D" writeoffs, cat"B" is a bit more serious. like structural damage, door pillars, chassis, and roof.

does it go round corners sideways?

if the insurance companies wont insure it then dont buy it.

it has 10 months mot on it?

i might ring the dvla and see if i can get any sense out of them :hmm:

only interestred as it might be going cheap,but i dont want to buy someting i cant use :blink:

and i'm totally useless when it comes to cars,give me power tolls and i'll build you anything.give me a spanner and i have'nt got a clue what to do with it :blink:

There was a little SJ413 going either on here or on another bbs forum for £400 only needing the sills welded up :blink:

May be worth a look. Not bad as a little off roader and may be just the ticket!

Edited! I just found it! Hope the mods don't mind the link but just want to help another member :blink:

suzuki sj 413

Edited by Lord Geordie

I would give it a miss :o Last change of keeper 2/11/09, cat B 4/4/03 but no scrap marker shown :):D Either the insurance company have ticked the wrong box on the MIAFTR (in which case it's too long a timescale to be reversed) or HPI's had a hickup :) Obviously DVLA have issued a log book at some point but they don't know where they are at the moment :| Is there any evidence of a VIC check certificate or V5 marked as such ;):D

A Cat B cannot be put back on the road, this could be because of accident damage or could have been flooded in dirty water, i.e. ****.

dont touch it. The only way it has an MOT is bacause the chap mot'd it had the accident and then had it repaired.

I didnt think that non dealers could buy these but could well be wrong about this. I have seen them on E-bay though. Its bad news all round if you ask me.

for the cost of a 4x4 at the moment buy a straight one or even a CAT C/D.

Matt

A Cat B cannot be put back on the road, this could be because of accident damage or could have been flooded in dirty water, i.e. ****.

dont touch it. The only way it has an MOT is bacause the chap mot'd it had the accident and then had it repaired.

I didnt think that non dealers could buy these but could well be wrong about this. I have seen them on E-bay though. Its bad news all round if you ask me.

for the cost of a 4x4 at the moment buy a straight one or even a CAT C/D.

Matt

Beleive me - Cat B's can & have been put back on the road :unsure: ??? :o This is usualy due to incompetance somewhere along the line :lol::blush: but it has happened :P

BUT - any one with any sense would not want to try it or be involved :yes:

Edited by Tam

There's no law that states cat b's cant be put back on the road, its more of an agreement between salvage dealers and insurance companies that they should be broke for spares, some cars classed as cat b, especially older cars can have very little damage, anyway, a cat b ,if it has a vic test at a vosa test station and a new mot can be legally put back on the road

There's no law that states cat b's cant be put back on the road, its more of an agreement between salvage dealers and insurance companies that they should be broke for spares, some cars classed as cat b, especially older cars can have very little damage, anyway, a cat b ,if it has a vic test at a vosa test station and a new mot can be legally put back on the road

Only IF DVLA issue a V5