price of a gun

staghunter

hi could anyone help me my dad just hand a biakel boxlock 12g self ejector in to a shop with 4 other guns which had no value and patr exchanged them for a bsa lightning .22 air rifle for £125.00.

i phoned them today and they said they are selling it for £650 does sound about right or are they asking to much for it.

that's what i thought it's 20 years old in very good condition,the bloke i spoke too said it was the best gun he had in his shop.

i know that you could buy a new one cheaper so i looked on guntrader this morning and found a biakel for under £500 it was not a boxlock but i think he is asking far to much for it.

he even said the other guns might aswell be handed into the police.my dad called him a robbing *******.

for that kind of money you can get a far better quality of gun (im not knocking baikal i used to own one)

a second hand older beretta/browning/miroku or newer bettinsoli's....would be a better bet

i still think he is winding you up,

if your father didnt like him then why deal with him.

Like anything in life if you want it,you pay the money :yes: or at least try and knock him down if you think the price is on the high side :lol: however you clearly are interested in buying the gun,so why did you not just buy it from your Dad :yes:? or am i missing something here :good: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

i did speak to the chap again and said i would give him about 250 to 300 which i thought was right after speaking to my local gunshop,he was not very happy that i offered him that much for it then i told him you can buy a new one for that much.

then he sounded a bit p***ed off and hung the phone up on me,so i went to mt local gunshop a brought an o/u baikal for 275.so i am staying well clear of that gunshop :rolleyes:

i chopped in a sbs kestrel the shop gave £30 for it i paid £150 for it same shop took my brother over 3 weeks later as he wanted a knock about gun the same chap offerd it to my brother for £200 .i said to him thats a bit of a profit margin he just reded up and realy didnt know what to say .never the less i dont shop there anymore and the brother didnt buy a gun from there. in the long run he has lost a lot of custom from me and he knew it.

Staghunter,

I'm still confused. Why did you have your dad trade in the gun if you wanted to buy it anyway? Clearly the shop is going to mark it up some amount, whether it is £10 or £1000 it doesn't matter. They are still going to charge you more than your dad would have! Why didn't you just buy it from him?

From the stories here, one thing is pretty clear that everyone should learn. Don't trade in your guns for cheap! If you've got an inexpensive boxlock sxs 12 bore and a shot is going to give you naught for it (less than £50) then put it on here. Someone will take it off your hands. You'll get more for it in private sale than you will trading it in almost every single time.

Thanks,

Rick

no rick he was going to give them to me and at the last minute he just went and sold them without asking me first but i thought that maybe i could swap my old gun for this gun at this shop but when he told me the price i could not believe it.

are you allowed to say the name of the shop or not on here.

no rick he was going to give them to me and at the last minute he just went and sold them without asking me first but i thought that maybe i could swap my old gun for this gun at this shop but when he told me the price i could not believe it.

are you allowed to say the name of the shop or not on here.

No reason what so ever not to post the name of the shop if you think it will actually make a difference.

the gun is worth what some one is willing to pay end of

Would just put it down to a lesson learnt and move on.

Same old story really, applys to any product, not just guns. Dealers, whether they are a gun dealer or a car dealer will only give you a fraction of the value of the gun. At the end of the day, its their living to buy cheap, add a markup and sell it on. How much that markup is depends on how ruthless the dealer is really!

You will nearly always get a better price by selling something privately.