Prescription Shooting Glasses.

VicW

After noticing a deterioration in my distance vision an eye-test has shown that I now need glasses for distance vision,another step down the slippery slope to being a knackered old scrote! I have ordered varifocals for every day use but would appreciate input from anyone who uses prescription glasses for shooting. I have thought about the Optilabs version that has a prescription lense attachment behind the shooting glasses.

i couldnt afford the zeiss option, so i bought some rayban aviators with a light tint for about £150 vision express

the frames with clip on visor still obstructed my view ansd I cant shoot in my regular glasses because the lense is to small

Just collected my prescription shooting glasses from Specsavers. They had two makes to choose from, Topgun at £75 with the five different coloured polycarbonate lense covers. Some other much more expensive make can't remember the name at £175. I went for the Topgun seem fine and at a reasonable price.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have the glasses and have shot with them.I had no problems with them at all.The distance portion at the top of the lenses is almost full width and I can see sufficiently under the top of the lenses so no restriction there.Having the clays in proper focus is a revelation and makes me wonder how I coped before.I can pick the targets up much sooner and am breaking fast clays I may have missed before because they got away from me.Many thanks for the input received.

Vic.

• 4 weeks later...
Just collected my prescription shooting glasses from Specsavers. They had two makes to choose from, Topgun at £75 with the five different coloured polycarbonate lense covers. Some other much more expensive make can't remember the name at £175. I went for the Topgun seem fine and at a reasonable price.

Which branch of Specsaver was that? My local branch staff just looked blank :welcomeani: when I mentioned shooting glasses and said that they had never heard of such a thing! :oops: I really need some glasses and I don't want to get them made wrong and cause more problems, so if I can quote the branch maybe they can ring and get advice - I assume they all use the same labs in England as well as your fair isle?

Edited by Bloke

I got mine in the Sleaford branch in Lincs.The lady I dealt with showed me a pair of frames for sports use that fitted high on the face with large lenses.They would have been £75 for single prescription lenses with polycarbonate,shatterproof lenses.

After noticing a deterioration in my distance vision an eye-test has shown that I now need glasses for distance vision,another step down the slippery slope to being a knackered old scrote! I have ordered varifocals for every day use but would appreciate input from anyone who uses prescription glasses for shooting. I have thought about the Optilabs version that has a prescription lense attachment behind the shooting glasses.

Welcome to the club!

I wear varifocals. For shooting, I have an old pair of "aviator" specs for which Specsavers still manage to replace the lenses when neccessary. These are bi-focal (cheaper than vari) so that I can read the scope mag, etc. Just got back from an eye test and as it had got to the point that I couldn't really see through the "bi" bit, I'm having new lenses. £74!!!

Cheers

I bought a pair of TopGun glasses with the 5 "outers" and the lens holder. Went to Specsavers for a quote for varifocals, after half an hour of "humming and ha-ing" which gave me no confidence whatsoever that they could actually do the job they quoted me £210. This was for polycarbonate lenses "which won't shatter", they didn't notice that the "outer" had a bloody great sticker on it stating "polycarbonate"!

Went back to Vision Express where I'd had my eyes tested and who I've used for years for all sorts of glasses and they matter of factly measured the TGs and quoted £164 for the varifocals. Will let you know in a week or so how they work.

im in the same boat, long distance getting a bit blurry, went to specsavers and they gave me a 2 for one deal, first set of normal everyday glasses (which i never remember to wear) and a second set of shooting glasses, sport/sunglasses style, with camo frames and an orangey tint - clays seem to glow when i wear them, and they cut out alot of back ground light, so its far easier to spot movement :blink:

only downside is if it rains a bit youre blinded by drops on the glasses :hmm:

• 4 months later...
most of the interchageable sets now come with prescription inserts

http://www.shooting-glasses.co.uk/index.php?cPath=13

if you know your prescription there are loads of online opticians that the inserts can be sent off

to have your prescription lenses inserted for around £30

Thats what I did. Bought Top Gun off Fleabay and sent the removeable insert off to an on line company.

Had the left eye glazed for distance and the right for mid distance (foresight) and they work a treat. And a very good price with a turn around about the same as my high street opticians.

Bargain!

most of the interchageable sets now come with prescription inserts

http://www.shooting-glasses.co.uk/index.php?cPath=13

if you know your prescription there are loads of online opticians that the inserts can be sent off

to have your prescription lenses inserted for around £30

I have order a set thanks for the link

Edited by discreet hunter

I have used prescription glass's since 2005 and got these http://www.nyxsports.com/packages.htm - I was going to USA so I picked them up from a mate - since then I just ordered a new prescription on line for $109 and they were posted to me -

Just had my eyes tested and have sent them to a online specs place to see if they can put new lens on -- not had a call yet to say they can and how much - My normal driving glass's came this morning - 5 day turnaround really impressed.

These NYX lens do not have a frame round them which is handy as you can't see them when glass's are on.

Dave

• 5 years later...

Hi Guys,

I know that the original post was way back in 2009 but I am now looking for a pair of prescription shooting glasses so I would be pleased to find out how you guys got on or any other

comments about prescription glasses.

I have worn glasses for years but I am now finding that when I am actually shooting both game & clays I am looking over the rim more and sometimes lose the sight picture of the target and

therefore a miss (my excuse) so any feedback would be good.

Thanks

BBL