Help - Shotgun barrels wont open...

gameshooter09

Hello,

Just been practicing with my Beretta with some snap-caps, I fired the first barrel fine - however the second wouldn't fire.

I then realized the top lever to open the barrels was free (loose), so the barrels are impossible to open.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Edited by gameshooter09

if the top lever is loose to the point it swings under its own weight virtually, then the spring has come out of its slot. you have to take the stock off then its up to you to do it yourself or take to a gun smith.

most guns are very easy to strip down to individual parts if your compitent enough but make notes as you go as their are some very tiny springs in there. berettas are the easiest. :good:

...make notes as you go as their are some very tiny springs in there. berettas are the easiest. :lol:

I find take a few photos very useful in situations like this :good:

gameshooter09: If you take some can you post them as its always interesting for others what you find.

More worrying would be transporting a loaded gun not something you

would want to do. I would expect the reason the second barrel would

not fire would be because the snap cap will not provide recoil to trip

the block should be easily remedied with a selective trigger just select

the other barrel or provide the inertia by giving the butt pad a smart

smack with the heel of your hand do it right and you may hear a faint click

as the block moves across if you want to see what the internals look

like in typical Beretta Beretta PDF

if the top lever is loose to the point it swings under its own weight virtually, then the spring has come out of its slot. you have to take the stock off then its up to you to do it yourself or take to a gun smith.

most guns are very easy to strip down to individual parts if your compitent enough but make notes as you go as their are some very tiny springs in there. berettas are the easiest. :good:

Game shooter butt pad off , butt off and tighten up the round shaped nut holding the top lever on to the top of your action , or like Beretta says spring out of slot , or if your not confident it's a trip to the gun smith :lol:

and when its sorted out, do us a favour and put the snaps away.

They do absolutely nothing to preserve your springs, and can cause damage and wear by discharging onto them when you don't need to.

They have a purpose for dry fire testing after stripping and cleaning / repairing the action, and they have uses in dry fire when coaching, but a modern gun's springs are made of the same steel as the valve springs in your car, and I don't suppose you unscrew the head in that every time you park up to relieve the spring pressures off the cam?

Their use for spring preservation comes from the days when springs were hammered leaf springs, that did loose tension over time. So snaps to a man with an 1880 Purdy have some relevance, but the springs in your Beretta will be good for 100 yrs even stored under tension.

Edited by clayman

My Silver Pigeon did that to me once with a round up the tube. I completely freaked because I had only just got my SGC and the gun. The best I could come up with was to beat the **** out of the butt of the gun to try to slip the second sear. Luckily it worked (and then the gun opened, typical!) so I could go home safely.

When I took it to the gunsmith it just had some swarf in the action from manufacture and that was all they could suggest it could have been.

Think yourself lucky it's a snap cap! I'd take it in for a pro to look at. Better safe than sorry and you don't want it to happen again when it may have a live round in it. Trust me, it's not a nice feeling!

Hello,

Thanks for all your help.

I managed to fire the second barrel (manualy), but the top lever is 100% loose (sways freely), so I cannot open the barrels. I'm guessing that the spring has gone.

I think I will have further look into this tomorrow, by taking the butt plate and stock off.

Many thanks

Edited by gameshooter09

If the spring was gone it should still open and shut I think sounds more like it has come lose and or slipped. Like you say whip of the stock and should fix it in a jiff. Cole guns have a PDF of the exploded action handy for tinkering dowload it from the parts page. Good luck! Will