Rav4

firdom

Hi,

Ive used a rav 4 for the past 4 years now, an can honestly say its been a cracking offroad bus. I do all my keepering in it-and have never once been stuck -its been through some sodden ground too where my friends hilux got stuck!!

Just my experience & opinion-hope this helps!

out of interest, what has factory fitted diff locks?

Sorry, I meant to say limited slip diff, not diff locks. To be honest I don't even know what a diff lock is, however I do know that a limited slip diff will give better traction.

I guess plenty of vehicles have LSD's, including my shooting hack Maverick.

it won't, LSD's are fine but come the really muddy stuff when you have no traction on one wheel it won't stop you loosing most of the traction to that wheel. Locking diffs are then required that stop the wheel spinning and make it spin at the same speed as the one the other side.

I know my L200 has a locking rear diff never tried it though as never got it that close to getting stuck (yet)

it won't, LSD's are fine but come the really muddy stuff when you have no traction on one wheel it won't stop you loosing most of the traction to that wheel. Locking diffs are then required that stop the wheel spinning and make it spin at the same speed as the one the other side.

I know my L200 has a locking rear diff never tried it though as never got it that close to getting stuck (yet)

A limited slip diff will give better traction than a standard, non limited slip diff.

Sorry, I meant to say limited slip diff, not diff locks. To be honest I don't even know what a diff lock is, however I do know that a limited slip diff will give better traction.

I guess plenty of vehicles have LSD's, including my shooting hack Maverick.

yeah that's more like it. Heaps have LSDs, nothing has had factory diff locks I'm aware of. Diff locks essentially turn it into a rigid axle. Tractors have them. So if you forget to turn them off and turn a tight corner on tarmac you may snap something. But serious off road traction!

UK spec shoguns have a locking rear diff, switch on the dashboard, import pajero's have lsd'd, uk spec landcruiser vx's and amazons have both front and rear locking diffs, as do Mercedes g waggons, but pretty much anything can have locking diffs fitted, companies like arb and Detroit make locking diffs for all sorts :good:

There is nothing intrinsically (extra points for getting that word in ) wrong with the RAV4

after all ---there is plenty of room to fit in the scissors, blow drier and curling tongs :good: :good:

I keep saying unless you are doing something really extreme or pretending to be Ray Mears

so called soft roaders are adequate shoot transport and just require a sensible approach 98%

of the offroad useage is going to be on rough slippery farm tracks provided you have enough clearance

to navigate over the track ridges and move through deep puddles you should be OK.

That said the early model RAV is fugly has insufficient space for dog transport unless the seats

are folded forward the new model at least looks better though I would not like to try squeezing in

my two with the seats up.( may not apply to LWB version).

Feel free to ignore this is if - you are part time keepering and have to carry large bags of barley across

fields frequented by cattle you need a diff lock decent tyres and plenty of ground clearance get

a landy L200 Hilux or similar.

nothing has had factory diff locks I'm aware of. Diff locks essentially turn it into a rigid axle. Tractors have them. So if you forget to turn them off and turn a tight corner on tarmac you may snap something. But serious off road traction!

As already the said the L200 defo has rear diff lock, i can only engage it when in 4x4 with the centre diff locked as well. I believe the new Navara only has LSD. Landies have diff locks.

standard 4x4 = all four wheels driving but if one slips then most of the drive will be lost through that wheel = one wheel slipping could cause bogging

4x4 centre Diff locked = 50% of drive to front diff, 50% of drive to rear diff = you'd have to have one front wheel and one rear slipping to be bogged

4X4 centre diff locked, rear diff locked = 50% front diff 25% rear left 25% rear right = three wheels slipping to be bogged. (both rear and one front) or all four wheels.

Obvously that is slightly simplified but that is the general gist of it.

Tyres make a massive difference too. A decent set of off road tyres can negate quite a lot of a cars mechanical deficencies.

Edited by danccooke

• 3 weeks later...

i run a 2.0 95 swb import rav and have had no probs thus far. i get guns,gear & a big fool pointer in with the seats up. if i was taking a partner on a regular basis then i may stick a top box on but so far its not been needed. iv had in the past all manner of 4traks,sportraks,vitars,sjs,discos ect n the rav is by far the smoothest being comfy,warm n really good on the long hauls.it copes with the rough and handles like a car on the road with bags of go when you stamp that hoof down. im trying to think of what id change on it now n im drawing a blank.... errrrr...... id say ground clearance but its not been a prob yet besides i use it for shooting not the paris dakkar .if i had to cross the polar caps or take a wardrobe across Mongolia i would say it may not be the best choice but for a day to day working/living/shooting/dog waggon its more than capable .... its worth a mention that it has hauled more than 1 rangerover out of trouble that had got its fatself bellied in the kack