AHHHH Just drowned my discovery !!

agusta

Went under a railway bridge, before I knew what was happening the water was up to the windscreen and the thing died! The only way out was either smashing the sunroof or sticking it into first and turning it over, anyway managed to get it out.

30 mins later it fired up, ran it down the road and it conked again.

When the recovery truck turned up the guy said "Your not the only one", apparently a Ford went under the other day, ended up being completely submerged.

Bit of a pain, only had the disco a few months :rolleyes: why they haven't closed the road or put any signs up I dont know. Insurance job by the looks of things.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a mistake you only make once. If the water got into the engine the damage is done, its called compression or hydraulic lock I believe and con rods hate it as Al4x mentions. Good luck with the insurance, i'm not sure they'll cover it. :rolleyes:

Having done a similar thing, you have my sympathies.

Chances are that's going to be expensive! I hate to say it but in weather like we've been having lately you really can't assume that all puddles are going to be a few inches deep! If you don't know the road well then you just can't tell how deep these things are so take it steady (I guess you know that now!). I had a bridge just like you're talking about by my old house. In the end the highways put a depth marker post in the deepest bit and still you'd get a couple of people standing on their roofs looking sheepish every time it rained hard! My advice, replace the Disco with a Hagglund!

It's very hard not to get caught out sometimes, as the old saying goes. "Can't understand it - the water only came halfway up my ducks ":rolleyes:

True one, in a pit under a large rolling mill, the floor looked a bit wet but my mate spotted a plank to stand on to get across, to save getting his boots wet - one problem, the plank was floating :good:

Theres a good one on You-Tube of a van full of police 'up north' driving into a flood, and having to get out and push - the 'floating squad' :lol:

Edited by pigeon popper

why oh why did you turn it over to get it out, thats probably written off engine, had it not bent a rod beforehand. Its bad luck just a good idea to enter big puddles slowly

I had to get out somehow and I wasn't prepared to be standing up to my neck in water!

Anyway does anyone know what this means, it was lit up but the manual doesn't say what it is?

http://img148.imageshack.us/i/scannn.gif

Not the best quality, will try and get better scan.

The image has not uploaded for us to view

But whatever you do turn her over till you got the injectors out and then turn it over and your get a nice shower.

Wait till all the water is out of the bores before replacing the injectors.

The d2 is not keen on water as so many gizmos like power seats etc.

Where are you in the country .

As I maybe able to help out.

Regards over the hill

The disco is now at the local land rover dealer awaiting insurance inspectors, but thanks for the offer Over the hill

could even try the council for comp as they should have shut the road in that time

Thats what I'm thinking, get them to cover the insurance excess and business compensation, small claims court even. You would have thought they would do something especially as someone else did the same thing!

The word for it is hydrostatic lock, as far as the engine goes as long as you remove the injectors and turn it over the water will come out and no damage should have been done.The Upholstery and other leccy bits on it however a different matter.Even if the insurance do pay out expect trouble in one form or anathor untill the car is properly dry, plugs and sockets hold water for ages............roll on next summer!!

The disco is now at the local land rover dealer awaiting insurance inspectors, but thanks for the offer Over the hill

Thats what I'm thinking, get them to cover the insurance excess and business compensation, small claims court even. You would have thought they would do something especially as someone else did the same thing!

You have my sympathy but trying to get compo from the council .!!! Thats why this country is is going down the pan, nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions and always want to blame everybody else. you drove it in there, its YOUR FAULT why should the rest of us have to pay for your errors. Nobody forced you to drive in there you did it all on your own.

rant over but I believe if we all took responsibility for our own mistakes the world would be a better place

:yes::yes::good::yes::hmm:

doc

You have my sympathy but trying to get compo from the council .!!! Thats why this country is is going down the pan, nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions and always want to blame everybody else. you drove it in there, its YOUR FAULT why should the rest of us have to pay for your errors. Nobody forced you to drive in there you did it all on your own.

rant over but I believe if we all took responsibility for our own mistakes the world would be a better place

:yes::yes::good::yes::hmm:

doc

How the hell was I supposed to know it was that deep, its a road, you drive on it, you don't expect 5ft+ of standing water!!!

Not only that I later found out its a hot spot for drowning vehicles, surely the council should do something about it. If that was an old biddy driving along in her car and drove into that........it would be a disaster.