AHHHH Just drowned my discovery !!

agusta

mate was driving his wifes citreon last year and hit a puddle? 12 inches deep.engine ingested water,bent 2 con rods,as well as your engine you,ve got the magic box under your seat that does not like water one bit.mate had one in his garage with all kinds of electric and running problems.he,d had it valeted and they had used a power washer on the doors and had soaked the box under the seat,seems you can,t get them repaired.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I symathise with you for ruining your truck, however I really cannot stand the whining, and babying people seem to expect. I had to deal with someone with a similar attitude the other day at the lake. The highest water anyone had ever seen, unprecidented rainfall, the lake over the road around 4 feet deep. and this guy tried to drive straight through "because there wasn't a sign to say it was closed". When there is a tremendous amount of water about, you cannot expect there to be enough people or signs to go around covering every little bit of water over the road incase someone doesn't engage their brain. People seem completely unable to assess wether or not something is safe to do without a huge number of signs around.

Try reading an off roading book, the first thing about water will probably say, walk, or have someone walk infront to judge the depth if you don't know.

Oh, and as nearly everyone has already said. Turning the engine over was a big mistake, it could possibly have caused some serious engine damage. I hope you can get your truck fixed ok, and you'll now know better next time.

I symathise with you for ruining your truck, however I really cannot stand the whining, and babying people seem to expect. I had to deal with someone with a similar attitude the other day at the lake. The highest water anyone had ever seen, unprecidented rainfall, the lake over the road around 4 feet deep. and this guy tried to drive straight through "because there wasn't a sign to say it was closed". When there is a tremendous amount of water about, you cannot expect there to be enough people or signs to go around covering every little bit of water over the road incase someone doesn't engage their brain. People seem completely unable to assess wether or not something is safe to do without a huge number of signs around.

Try reading an off roading book, the first thing about water will probably say, walk, or have someone walk infront to judge the depth if you don't know.

Oh, and as nearly everyone has already said. Turning the engine over was a big mistake, it could possibly have caused some serious engine damage. I hope you can get your truck fixed ok, and you'll now know better next time.

Its not as though I drove it into Lake Windermere to see if the ******* thing floats!!!

Its a road I dont know, so I didn't have a clue there was such a large dip under the bridge. The water was the same level as the road, there was no dip (that I could see) so the "puddle" only looked a few inches deep if that. I'm not going to get out and inspect every puddle to see if its safe as you suggested, if I was was off-roading....of course!

As I said before the only way out was to turn the engine over, the doors lock automatically as well, if I did manage to open the door or smash a window I would have flooded the interior (bigger insurance job - write off).

So it was either write it off or cause more damage to the engine, I went for more damage :good:

hate to say but you probably have written it off anyway, usually a bent or snapped rod writes off the bottom end of the engine and if you're really unlucky the head as well, Landrover aren't famous for having cheap engines if they're replaced by a dealer

Sorry but not having much symathy for you driving into a swimming pool but see where you are coming from.

Just an additional word about turning over flooded engines: Not only can you get hydrostatic lock, but if you are lucky enough to get away with it, you may want to consider that you may have an amoount of water in the cranck case (i.e. where you should have only oil). You should be thinking of draining the engine and replacing all the fluids. Further thought suggests differentials etc.

And last and most important: if you do manage to get through the puddle, test/dry out your brakes by using the brake peddle.

Grandad mode off.

If it was only a few inches deep, surely you could see the tarmac and markings on the road if they are there.

Saying that, this picture, is a road, but also happens to be Ullswater. I had to head through in an attempt to get to a property.

dsc0029vj.th.jpg

I am currently still drying the vehicle out, and waiting for a better day to change all the oils, I only drove it out of necessity and would not normally do so without a snorkel / raised breathers / proper consideration.

If you were able to use the electrics to turn the engine over, could you not have opened a window or sunroof ? Even smashing a window, is a hell of a lot cheaper than risking destroying an engine.

Max wading depth is 1/2 meter for the standard d2 which is not alot so drive we care get a nice bow wave .

Best to keep going rather than stop as it that happens is the water comes back and water ingress happens.

Also I always wind the window down prior to entry so if it gets hairy bail ot is possable.

Regards

Edited by Over the hill

mmmm

climb out and get soddin wet maybe need some new clothes

or

turn it over and totally wreck the engine?

i would have done in the sun roof and climbed out

few quid in next or tescos clothes ailse damn site cheaper than a new disco engine

hope it isnt totally ******** and you get yer insurance to help foot any bills

all the best

sauer

I can't understand people not having sympathy, if it is a road you don't expect 5ft of water. I know of a bridge simmilar to what you are talking about near some of my family in Millhill area of London. We very nearly did a simmilar thing when i was a nipper in the old Agro. however the car infront alerted is to the problem. We would never have known we were all driving at about 15mph as the rain was so heavy and this poor fella just dissapeared infront of us, the gradient on the dip was pretty steep and even at 15mph he was caught off gaurd and sunk his BMW.

Off road then tough lucksky, on road i'd have a chat with the council. take the american approach and sue for mental anguish and the fact you are now scared to drive when it is raining :rolleyes:

Best thing you could do with a disco...drown it! :rolleyes:

Puddles have a habit of catching unwary motorists out. I’ve seen a car tried to cross a pudle that turned out to be a bridge that had collapsed and a vehicle that looked like it had ht a brick wall on the M6 near Shap Fell when it ploughed into a ‘puddle’ that turned out to be an overflowing river across the carriageway! Beware!

Looks like the engine is fine!!

It starts up but cuts out after a few hundred yards, they plugged it into the computer and found 45 faults all electrical, things like the immobiliser, horn etc need replacing. Its still going to cost a fortune as only the main dealer can look at and diagnose the faults, insurance will cover it, got a nice little courtesy car to boot!

Also insurance company say if the car has been involved in a flood incident they automatically replace the carpets, how stupid is that, the interior is completely dry, what a waste of time and money.

mmmm

climb out and get soddin wet maybe need some new clothes

or

turn it over and totally wreck the engine?

i would have done in the sun roof and climbed out

few quid in next or tescos clothes ailse damn site cheaper than a new disco engine

hope it isnt totally ******** and you get yer insurance to help foot any bills

all the best

sauer

Climb out flood the interior and write off the car, good idea :ninja:

Its all electrical by the way, so you would need to smash the windows (somehow).

Edited by agusta

you didn't drown it properly in that case, bloody landrovers are useless these days if you stopped it by flooding the electrics thats pretty pathetic on a diesel engined 4x4, however in your case a lot cheaper than a new engine just a shame to have a claim on your record and pay extra insurance next year

you didn't drown it properly in that case, bloody landrovers are useless these days if you stopped it by flooding the electrics thats pretty pathetic on a diesel engined 4x4, however in your case a lot cheaper than a new engine just a shame to have a claim on your record and pay extra insurance next year

He may have protected no claims :good:

shaun

Looks like the engine is fine!!

It starts up but cuts out after a few hundred yards, they plugged it into the computer and found 45 faults all electrical, things like the immobiliser, horn etc need replacing. Its still going to cost a fortune as only the main dealer can look at and diagnose the faults, insurance will cover it, got a nice little courtesy car to boot!

Also insurance company say if the car has been involved in a flood incident they automatically replace the carpets, how stupid is that, the interior is completely dry, what a waste of time and money.

I'm glad its all worked out for you, just don't go and flood the courtesy car. :good:

Got it back today, needed a new engine ECU and a complete oil, fluid and filter change. Also carpets are slightly damp and starting to smell so looks like it will need carpets after all.

I also have a problem with condensation at the moment, its mainly on the sunroofs and drips onto the seats (leather seats so isn't too bad), wasn't like this before so it must be damp inside. Just wondering if its worth getting a dehumidifier ??

Frosty nights aren't helping, everything inside is frozen in the mornings :)

Something like this maybe:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/dehumidifier-damp-mo...=item33583750c8

For a dehumidifier to work it needs to be humid not wet, good on a hot day but not very good in this weather. A fan heater and a dehumidifier at the same time would work wonders. With the windows open about 1". Be careful where you site the fan heater, you need at least 1m between the blown air and any seats/dash. Driver footwell with the seat pushed back, boot with the seats down are all good. Once you've got it pretty dried out some large bags of silica gel placed around the car should sort the rest. If you've got air con then leave it on all of the time your in the car with the windows closed.

This one might be a bit of an old wife's tale but you can try leaving quantities of rice in bowls around the car over night.