Barrel Wear .22LR

Axe

Rimfire Maintenance

Cleaning and looking after your rifle barrel

From the Lilja website. Manufacturer of some of the finest rifle barrels every made both rimfire and centerfire

Theses barrels don't need thousands of rounds down them to run them in :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::P:P:P:P:P:P:P

< Clipperty clop>

Jonno

Edited by jonno 357

So assuming there is no barrel wear and rimfires NEVER wear out as the gun as been USED in the correct manner.What about mis-use ,where barrel temperatures are so great that further use RESULTS in the irreversal damage to the rifle flutes.

YES OR NO?:P?:P

Ivan

The High velocity ammo i mentioned earlier is CCI MINIMAG and they are copper plated.

My groups are based on 10 shots not 2 leon :P .If there is no wind my FAC airgun will shoot tighter groups ,Rimmys still good for head shots at 6o yds though and if i'm feeling lazy further .

Jonno , good info there ..............The advice i got was clean the rimmy when accuracy starts to suffer and seeing as i'm a near enough man where rimmy ammo is concerned(you could go round the bend trying to find serious accuracy) i've cleaned it only .......................Once :*) :*) :*) :lol::lol::lol: Don't buy a second hand gun from me :lol::lol::lol:

However i'm alot wiser NOW! even though my honest and speaking fom personal experience replies leave me wide open for critisism :P

Ivan

nice post jonno :lol: ,i wondered when someone would post this.

the one thing not mentioned as yet was the lapping in of the barrel,the one thing that the majority of serious shooters do here .

a quote from your post

In a match-grade stainless steel hand-lapped barrel, leading is an almost nonexistent problem. Powder fouling is minimal too. It is possible however to have an accumulation of fouling in the leade area in front of the chamber. A build up here is detrimental to top accuracy.

very interesting thread to read ,with differing veiws ,ive enjoyed it ,keep going guys :lol::lol:

Martin

the one thing not mentioned as yet was the lapping in of the barrel,the one thing that the majority of serious shooters do here .

I have to ask, what exactly does this mean? Excuse my ignorance.

Regards,

Axe.

Only high quality barrel will be hand lapped

Shilen

Lilja

Krieger, etc

A hand lapped barrel has had the reamer button cutting marks removed for a superior finish

lapping a barrel

Firing abrasive bullets down the barrel

This is what a hand lapped barrel can do

Jonno

Edited by jonno 357

The reason for this is relatively simple: centrefires shoot copper jacketed bullets, copper HARD. LR rimfires shoot lead-only bullets, lead VERY SOFT.

Posting this question now as i'm nipping out

Once again can the serious mis-use Of rapid and continual firing of CCI MINI-MAGS which are copper plated together with POOR maintenance cause irreversal damage to rimfire rifling flutes.

YES or NO?:lol:?:lol:?:lol: :lol:

Poppythedog

At what point do you think that gun you mentioned was shooting 2" groups at 50yds and not 12" :P:P:P:P

How slim is this chance as we are advising someone stepping up from a 12ft lb air gun?:lol:?:lol:?:P??? :<

Ivan

Right lads, I’ve read through this stuff and I think it’s time to put my two penn’orth in.

I shoot a lot of smallbore match rifle and before the developers moved in and closed the range, I used to shoot for both the City of Birmingham and Kynoch rifle clubs on their Witton ranges. This was the original development range for testing Kynoch, and later Eley ammunition and was set up in 1936 for this purpose.

As a member I had access to some of the best target ammo’ available – Eley Tenex Ultimate EPS. This stuff is phenomenal, and is the stuff that takes 90% of the medals at world and Olympic games.

Now I have one of these superior German barrels on my Anschutz and although it is a fine barrel, it did take @ 500 rounds before it started to shoot to its best, and indeed Bert Brookes, the tester at the Eley testing range, advised shooters to put at least this amount through their rifles before batch testing for ammunition.

I put @ 4000 rds a year through my rifle and have had it since 1988. That equates to @ 80,000 rounds, and it is shooting as good now as at any time in that period of time.

Eley used to use 4 rifles on their ammo testing tunnel at Witton and would change them after 1,000,000 rds (yes 1 million) had gone through them.

The MD at the time was Keith Irvine, who related a story to us about the time that their records got muxed ip and the wrong rifle was changed. The old rifle was left in place and it wasn’t until it came around to the time to change it again that the mistake was discovered….at which time it had had 2,000,000 rds (yes 2 million) through it. And it was still shooting good groups!

You won’t shoot a .22 barrel out, and the main thing to look for is whether the barrel has been abused in other ways, either by being neglected or over-zealously cleaned with a bad technique i.e. cleaning from the muzzle and damaging the crown, or not using a guide and causing damage to the breech face/lead.

Check that the breech face is in good order and that the crown is OK (it’s easy to get any rifle re-crowned) and don’t worry about the bore, it will be OK as long as it hasn’t had rust in it. :lol:

G.M.

Ive, Mini Mags are copper washed not jacketed, they may pose a minimal additional 'risk' to a .22 barrel, but still negligible.

Gemini clearly knows wht he's on about. And coincidentally echoes my thoughts entirely! :lol::lol:

It has to be said that there is no shortage of secondhand rimfires in decent condition. My advice would be to look out for one coming up for sale here, or indeed over on airgunbbs, where the rifles history is 'known.' Infact there was a Sako Finnfire for sale over there for £320 pretty recently. That is a lovely rifle and a fair price. Certainly up there with Anschutz in terms of quality. You will also benefit from the fact that the owner will be able to tell you right off the bat which ammunition the rifle prefers, and save you a few quid's experimentation in the process.

Edited by Ishapoor

Ive, there is a real possibility that my own Sako will be up for sale in the next few weeks, dependant on whether I prefer using my new .17hmr. :lol:

It has a Simmons 3-9X50 scope on it and has a 16inch barrel that has been re-cut for the moderator. Can’t actually sell the moderator as it isn’t proofed, but the rifle is in brilliant nick with an oil finish and a nice rubber butt-pad, and will be @ £325-£350

Sako_1.jpg

G.M.

DOh :lol::lol::lol: Sorry

I've just looked at my last post and realised how i've worded it.I was in a rush you see ................I was speaking up for AXE! :lol:

Ishapoor .....Knowing what i know now( 4years rimfire knowledge) i would have saved a few more pounds and gone for the Sako Finnfire as opposed to the Ruger 10/22, which for the money is still a good gun and does'nt deserve to be knocked.

CCi use the term copper plated though :P which to myself indicates copper abrasion against the rimfire rifling flutes and the last time i observed the inner barrel of my gun what twist were left looked smoothed out :lol:

Gemini

Trust you to put the cat amongst the pigeons and may i say rightly so :lol: .It's good to have your experience on this forum just to keep us youngun's in check :P and i for one am certainly glad of it,and value your advice.

BUT!!!

Superior German Barrel on a Anschutz against a Ruger std 10/22

Surely even a man with your vast experience must admit that this is like comparing a ROLLS ROYCE :P:P:P to a mini metro

Cheers Ive :P

This is what a hand lapped barrel can do

Truly inpressive shots, 2 virually in the centre and the other three to hole punch the card :lol: ......... :lol:

I think it will be a very long time before I could hope to acheive anything like this sort of grouping, even with the rifle clamped. :*) :lol:

I would like to thank everyone that has posted in this topic. It has been a real eye opener for someone about to start out in a new genre. Once again the forum has provided my with a wealth of knowledge, something that I have come to expect here.

Thanks again.

Axe.

Edited by Axe