how difficult is it to raise pheasants?

just wondering really, me and mate have been talking (well, he's been talking, ive been listening) about building a small pheasant pen at his house. theres about 100 acres of land, set in a bit of a valley, with a river running down one side, steep hill on the other. about half of the land is a water meadow, very boggy.

were not talking about much, maybe releasing 20 to 30 pheasants a year for, only for 3 of us (me, him and his dad). not too worried about foxes, his dad's out most nights with the .223, and there 3 chicken farms within 3 miles of the house, so foxes are kept well in check, but firstly, how difficult is it to rear pheasants? and secondly, how easy is it to keep them in the one area? and any idea of the rough cost? just looking an idea

failing that were going to dig out the river and make a duck pond :hmm:

Edited by babbyc1000

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eh, we werent digging out the river, we were merely digging a drainage ditch in the field near to the river, and it, eh, filled up :hmm:

so i take it pheasants are not that easy then? :hmm:

sorry for asking daft questions, the only real contact ive had with them is when they used to escape from an estate near where i lived and would wander round our fields :lol:

If it is marsh/bog land,just dig a hole anywhere and it will fill up with water.As for the birds just pen them for a while then release them and see what happens ! It isnt going to break the bank if you are only talking 30 birds.Stick some feeders out and they already have water to hand and you may get lucky and some will hang around.

We get the poults at about 6-8 weeks old and put them in a pen with a net roof to hold them initially. When they are released we have plenty of feeders stocked with wheat and this should hold them. Have you much natural cover on the land? There is only 3 in our syndicate and we release 70ish birds a year, but even this involves a lot of time. They need fed every day, snares need checked and odd jobs need done. Why don't you do both and dig a pond aswell (maybe release some duck aswell). Good luck.

You don't need to be a brain surgeon but it takes time (loads of it), even if its 50 - 50,000!!!

1. Buy poults. Around £3 - 4, around 7 weeks.

2. Buy grower pellets (approx 1 tonne per 300 birds)

3. Clean water (lots of)

4. Grit, I find poultry grit to be good

5. Get them used to 1 type of feeder, I find springs the best.

6. Provide shelter in and around the outside of the pen (old tin roofing, low at an angle to allow the rain to run off)

7. Roll a couple of bales of straw around the pen and in the pen (although some people dont agree with inside for disease)

8. Worm when you first get them and if needed just before they start to escape, if wing clipped approx 3 weeks, if not as soon as you put them in the pen. Either in food (expensive) or water (cheaper - PM if you want to know what to use)

9. Watch for disease on a daily basis, any probs get an ill one to a vet quick if you cant id what is wrong

10. Loads of feeders around the pens to keep them hanging around (wheat, good stuff without stones and straw and get them used to it early)

12. When you want them to spead about feed away from pen

13. Prepare for death, lots of it cos it will happen, that is the only thing you can be g'teed, disease, cars, dogs, birds, you, each other, foxes, badgers, stotes, rats, mink, cats, fences - you name it, it kills em!!!!!

Oh and if you can afford it, electric fence units as they will help prevent some of the above

eh, we werent digging out the river, we were merely digging a drainage ditch in the field near to the river, and it, eh, filled up :rolleyes:

so i take it pheasants are not that easy then? :good:

sorry for asking daft questions, the only real contact ive had with them is when they used to escape from an estate near where i lived and would wander round our fields :lol:

Yours will do exactly the same, but in your neibours fields

why the hell even bother with the hassle! they offer no sport them things! give me a pigeon anyday. them things half time want to run along the ground for flipsake! but then again i guess its seen as fashionable isnt it! oh i was out ther and got a few pheasants, wat a load of ****. how could guys who know the sport that pigeons provide resort to shooting them things! i have never shot one in my life and never will

why the hell even bother with the hassle! they offer no sport them things! give me a pigeon anyday. them things half time want to run along the ground for flipsake! but then again i guess its seen as fashionable isnt it! oh i was out ther and got a few pheasants, wat a load of ****. how could guys who know the sport that pigeons provide resort to shooting them things! i have never shot one in my life and never will

ok im going to say three things to you, and thats the end of it :good:

1 - youre a troll, so **** off

2 - im not doing it for sport, im doing it for food, if i want sport ill go out after crows

3 - as i wear camo and use mossberg pump actions (since i got rid of my **** montefeltro) i can in no way be considered fashionable

oh and one final point, rabbits run along the ground too you muppit, does that mean we cant shoot them cos its not sporting?? :rolleyes:

Edited by babbyc1000

ive got just one reply for you babby, you are without doubt a moron who should not be permitted to hold a firearms licence, stick to them crows mate, oh and i love my montefeltro! your the type of guy who would blow a pheasant out of a tree with your pump gun arent you? oh yeah, now thats sport!!

actually i would, what has sport got to do with food?!

you seem quite transfixed with this notion of sport, well i dont shoot for sport. i shoot for the pot and for pest control purposes. yeah, i enjoy it, but personally i see "sport" as a very lame excuse for killing an animal...

anyway

dont-feed-troll.jpg

:rolleyes::good::lol:

babby i would just say you have alienated a hell of alot of people by admitting you would blow a pheasant out of a tree. yes i accept that it offers you your best chance cos your a **** shot, but cumon, thats not what pot hunting is all about!! your a thug, thats best way i could describe you! oh and have you heard of tescos?? or are you on the rook stew tonite you moron

babby i would just say you have alienated a hell of alot of people by admitting you would blow a pheasant out of a tree. yes i accept that it offers you your best chance cos your a **** shot, but cumon, thats not what pot hunting is all about!! your a thug, thats best way i could describe you! oh and have you heard of tescos?? or are you on the rook stew tonite you moron

nope, i dont eat crows, theyre pest control.

as for being a **** shot, well, maybe i am, maybe im not, but the way i see it i owe my quarry the cleanest kill possible - if that means making the choice between a 100% chance kill of a bird sitting in a tree, compared to a 90% chance on one thats moving then ill go for the 100% one, seems quite simple to me :good:

or are you one of these people who only take "sporting" shots, ie, more difficult shots that test your skill, and therefore increases the chances of only wounding the quarry, thus showing it very little respect?? maybe you should take a look at yourself mate... :rolleyes:

oh and if again, in future, you come totally unarmed to a battle of wits, resorting to petty insults is not the way to win.... :lol: :lol:

Edited by babbyc1000

Benelli montefeltro, are you doing this on purpose?

this is the second time i've come across you bad mouthing other members in less than a week.

have a word with yourself and calm down please.

some people are genuinely interested in this, if you are so anti then may i suggest you don't read anymore threads, at least that way you won't get so wound up. :rolleyes:

nope, i dont eat crows, theyre pest control.

as for being a **** shot, well, maybe i am, maybe im not, but the way i see it i owe my quarry the cleanest kill possible - if that means making the choice between a 100% chance kill of a bird sitting in a tree, compared to a 90% chance on one thats moving then ill go for the 100% one, seems quite simple to me :good:

or are you one of these people who only take "sporting" shots, ie, more difficult shots that test your skill, and therefore increases the chances of only wounding the quarry, thus showing it very little respect?? maybe you should take a look at yourself mate... :rolleyes:

oh and if again, in future, you come totally unarmed to a battle of wits, resorting to petty insults is not the way to win.... :lol: :lol:

Responding to a troll or not, you can't shoot pheasants roosting, its just not cricket.

babby you shoot sitting birds with a shotgun..... enough said realy. there is hundreds of shooters who wouldnt dream of shooting something sitting with a shotgun, when your decoying do you let the flock of pigeons land? what satisfaction is there out of that, maybe its for small minds

no, i let them get close enough so ive got as sure a shot as i can get, however any that have landed in the past have been shot on the ground.

Benelli montefeltro, are you doing this on purpose?

this is the second time i've come across you bad mouthing other members in less than a week.

have a word with yourself and calm down please.

some people are genuinely interested in this, if you are so anti then may i suggest you don't read anymore threads, at least that way you won't get so wound up. :good:

he's a troll, ignore him

Responding to a troll or not, you can't shoot pheasants roosting, its just not cricket.

whats cricket got to do with getting dinner?! perhaps we shouldnt keep cows in fields and send them to abbatoirs, its hardly giving them a sporting chance now is it? :rolleyes:

hey maybe lots of people disagree, i dont care, but the most important thing to me, either for pest control shooting or shooting for food, is ensuring that i get as clean a kill as possible. i DO NOT like injuring and causing suffering to animals/birds, so if that means shooting something in a tree... :lol: