how difficult is it to raise pheasants?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats cricket got to do with getting dinner?! perhaps we shouldnt keep cows in fields and send them to abbatoirs, its hardly giving them a sporting chance now is it? :rolleyes:

hey maybe lots of people disagree, i dont care, but the most important thing to me, either for pest control shooting or shooting for food, is ensuring that i get as clean a kill as possible. i DO NOT like injuring and causing suffering to animals/birds, so if that means shooting something in a tree... :lol:

I am in no way taking the side of the numpty benwally munttefectro, but we will agree to disagree :good:

gram i had 22 pigeons today so far from an being an anti, babby il just say this, i think what you do is very wrong and unsporting, you do not, so there it is, adios. im going to the woodcock tomoro, now even you couldnt spot them sitting babby surely, lol

im sure i probably could if i tried, take out the ruger 10/22 with the high power scope :lol:

well we'll just have to agree to disagree then, you believe in taking only "sporting" shots, increasing the risk of suffering; i believe in taking as sure a shot as i can get, minimising the suffering to the quarry as much as possible... oh well... :rolleyes:

let us know how you get on with those 70 yard one handed sporting shots tomorrow :good::lol:

Actually, i was thinking about starting up a shoot. on my main permission there's about 80 acres of water meadow, 40 acres of hay meadow, surrounded on the east side by at least 30 acres of woodland, the owner is getting on a bit now and it takes too much effort to sort everything out. He mentioned in passing about his shoot last time we spoke but by then it was too late due to foxes and crows. Most of the gear is there, how much can one expect to earn from a good shoot, and how many birds makes a good shoot?

Shooting roosting pheasants?

Another Catapult deer stalker perhaps....?

Dear god please take me now!!!

cant be aimed at me, as a catapult wouldnt be powerful enough to kill a deer humanely, which, if he'd read any of my previous posts, he'd see is the complete opposite of how i think :rolleyes:

now a deer with a barret light .50 is a different matter.... :good:

And how do you expect to eat a Pheasant shot at roosting range?

With a straw perhaps?

Don't play the humane card when it's better to leave a bird, as "un sporting" rather than blow it to bits in the name of being "humane"

who said anything about roosting range?! the original question was only about a pheasant sitting in a tree, which i assumed was 20m plus, thered be no point blasting something at close range if i was planning to eat it, now would there? :huh:

so...

Dont play the sporting card when you havnt got all the facts :rolleyes:

a mate of mine made a cannon years ago, they let it off on the range and the bang rattled the windows of every house within a 3 mile radius! had a 2" bore but they weren't sure how much powder to use, the police came round awhile later but they managed to blame it on the RAF as a sonic boom..

imagine hitting a deer with that puppy.

sip it with a straw? nah, i'll get my spoon..

a mate of mine made a cannon years ago, they let it off on the range and the bang rattled the windows of every house within a 3 mile radius! had a 2" bore but they weren't sure how much powder to use, the police came round awhile later but they managed to blame it on the RAF as a sonic boom..

imagine hitting a deer with that puppy.

sip it with a straw? nah, i'll get my spoon..

why gralloch the deer, when its already been minced?

:huh::drool: :drool:

(and yes, im taking the p b4 any1 starts :rolleyes:)

While benelli montwhatever made some rediculous points and has clearly never experienced pheasant shooting, I have to say it seems a bit counterintuitive that you want to go to the bother of buying/feeding/releasing/feeding some more a group of pheasants only to shoot them roosting 'for the pot' :rolleyes: - why not just get chickens and keep them in a coop, it'd be a whole lot cheaper and certainly a lot less time consuming!! :huh:

na mate its all been blown out of proportion.

theres 3 of us who have been talking about this, me, my mate and his dad. they have the land and will be looking after the pheasants, ill be the one financing it (if it goes ahead). the general conversation has been that it would be nice if there was a few pheasants about, on top of everything else, so we had been thinking if we released a few every year we could maybe get a bit of a local population built up again, as well as having the odd one for the pot. we wouldnt be going out after the pheasants on purpose for a while, because it would scupper our chances of building up a popluation. we had been thinking more of the case that if one pops up while were out shooting pigeons, rabbits, etc, then its something else to go in the bag, if that makes sense? :rolleyes:

Edited by babbyc1000

no, i let them get close enough so ive got as sure a shot as i can get, however any that have landed in the past have been shot on the ground.

he's a troll, ignore him

whats cricket got to do with getting dinner?! perhaps we shouldnt keep cows in fields and send them to abbatoirs, its hardly giving them a sporting chance now is it? :rolleyes:

hey maybe lots of people disagree, i dont care, but the most important thing to me, either for pest control shooting or shooting for food, is ensuring that i get as clean a kill as possible. i DO NOT like injuring and causing suffering to animals/birds, so if that means shooting something in a tree... :huh:

While I don't agree with Benelli montefeltro, I have to say shooting a pheasant standing in a tree or running is horrible. Every day I am out shooting no matter what I am after (excluding foxes, magpies and crows) if the shot isn't sporting I will let the animal go. If I shoot 1 bird in a day that is really sporting I'd be happy enough to let the rest go and just remember that amazing shot while I'm eating it. Fair enough you have these views Babby but I just don't see the point in putting all the time and effort into raising the birds to shoot them on the ground. I actually think it is more disrespectful to the quarry to not give it a sporting chance.

I agree with what you say about building up the local population. We have built up the local population round our area as there are birds which survive every year.

While I don't agree with Benelli montefeltro, I have to say shooting a pheasant standing in a tree or running is horrible. Every day I am out shooting no matter what I am after (excluding foxes, magpies and crows) if the shot isn't sporting I will let the animal go. If I shoot 1 bird in a day that is really sporting I'd be happy enough to let the rest go and just remember that amazing shot while I'm eating it. Fair enough you have these views Babby but I just don't see the point in putting all the time and effort into raising the birds to shoot them on the ground. I actually think it is more disrespectful to the quarry to not give it a sporting chance.

I agree with what you say about building up the local population. We have built up the local population round our area as there are birds which survive every year.

ollie, as i said already, this has all been blown out of proportion by benelli montetwatro. i have no intention of putting all that time, effort and money into raising pheasants just so i can go around blasting them out of trees and shooting them on the ground, as i said we are intending on building up the pheasant population in the area so that therell be the odd one floating about when were out after pigeons and rabbits. shooting every pheasant we saw, be it running along the ground or sitting in a tree, would be counter productive. and yes, i have let many shots go in the past, such as the time a hare hopped right up behind me, or when a fox walked out of a hedge 20 feet away and sat down looking at me. i didnt see the point in taking it.

now as for disrespectful, personally i see using the term "sport" for killing birds far more disrespectful than anything else. you know, i dont see too many people complaining that sniping a fox at 100 yards with a .223 isnt sporting, as the fox doesnt have a sporting chance, unless you miss. again, i dont see many people having a go at someone shooting roosting pigeons in a barn with an air rifle - what chance have they? and as for sniping rabbits at 50 yards with a 10/22? how many us has have peered through a scope, watching a rabbit sitting there washing its face, unawares that its about to be dinner? yeah, thats all very sporting isnt it :rolleyes:

a pheasant, to me, is no different than a rabbit or a pigeon - its destined for the pot. the greatest respect anyone can show to an animal is making sure its death is as clean and as pain free as possible. which is why, if i DID see a pheasant sitting in a tree, i would have no qualms about taking the shot, assuming the shot will not damage the meat and it will not be counter productive to our plan of introducing a local population again.

ok, ive had a few pm's and i know some people agree with me, some dont, but really it doesnt matter. this row has come about because a person who, with a total of 8 posts in a week, has tried to engineer his second row on this forum in a week. dont play into his hands :huh:

Unfortunately Babby you're showing you haven't got a clue about pheasants and the whole sport of game shooting in general. Sporting shots are exactly that the higher a pheasant is flying the more challenging it is and the more chance it has of getting away. On driven shoots that aim for sporting birds there will usually be a dedicated team of picker uppers who pick wounded birds and despatch asap. Your food argument is a load of bull poop if you wanted to breed pheasants for food then you would never release them and loose 50% or so to predators and natural causes. Look on the BASC site and do a bit of research on game shooting and the whole point is sport and giving the bird a sporting chance of getting away rather than blasting while wearing cammo with a bloody pump action.

really you need to experience the occasion and what goes on on a driven day to have half a clue as this thread despite the troll has had me banging my head on my desk at the ignorance you're showing towards game shooting. You'll spout some **** back but you're wasting a good sporting bird they won't just fly past you with pigeons while you're sat in a hide as thats not what pheasants do they fly to go to roost or to avoid predators or beaters / dogs. Do a bit more research before you go off half cocked with this idea.

You're managing to slate a lot of people who shoot for sport on here I for one will be on a pheasant shoot this weekend and I'm certainly not alone on here in doing so.

Edited by al4x

If you are wanting to build up a wild population of pheasants you will have loads of work to do !

Vermin traps everywhere that need checking every day and hammering the fox population.Everything will have to be "just right"for the birds to stay.

Apart from that..i think you are muddling things up and dont seem to grasp the concept of sporting shooting and are mixing game shooting with pest control :rolleyes: If a fox pops out 20 feet away,you shoot it !There is no thought of giving it a sporting chance because you are carrying out pest control.Same with pigeons and rabbits,shooting them when they are just sitting there is acceptable because they are pests,but you dont do that with game birds as it is just wrong.Your argument about food is pants,your not in the middle of Alaska and depending on that bird to eat today so why not give the bird a sporting chance to get away ?Game shooting "is" a sport and not a cull.

Hi,

I only do airgun shooting but how each aspect of it is described is the same as shotgun, rifle, bow or catapult.

All this box about sportingly killing something is rubbish.

Sport is target, clays etc

Killing whether for the pot or for pest control is hunting.

Giving a sitting rabbit, pheasant, crow or pigeon a chance means giving it a chance to be missed entirely or wounded.

Personally if I am clearing pests I don't care if it's dead, fatally wounded or crippled, either way it ceases to be a pest. If most people were honest they would say the same.

High horses springs to mind.

Come on what do you really think?

its sad im being labelled a troll when there are guys on here that agree with some of my opinions! and babby you said sumthin bout resorting to insults, but your the one calling me benelli montetwato. how childish is that! im afraid you have shown yourself up for what you are! you have no concept of the countryside and harvesting the occasional thing in it, no you just wana blow the thing out of a tree when its eyes are closed! jeez, sadly there are so many more like you, unsporting individuals

ok then, what about deer stalking? how is that sporting? dont think the deer has much of a "sporting" chance when its being sniped from 100 yards off now does it....?

anyway, as ive said before on this forum, i split animals into 3 categories, food, pests and everything else. everything else gets left alone, food and pests get killed as cleanly and humanely as possible. i am not one of these people who wakes up in the morning thinking "i know, im going to go out and pit myself against a wild animal and test my skill". i wake up thinking "need to stock up the freezer" or "the farmers complaining about rabbits/crows, id better go out and get them". doesnt mean i dont enjoy it, but thats just me. some people need to jusitfy killing quarry by saying its sporting or its tradition, etc. i dont. so what? the only concern on everyones mind should be that i AM doing it cleanly and humanely, and not what their own opinion is of "sport".

as for living in alaska... its pretty cold here at the moment, but no, im not relying on the food. but how many of the people on the forum who shoot game are? i would much rather say i shot a pheasant sitting in a tree, took it home and ate it, than say i went out and shot 50 pheasants whilst standing at a peg, just for a bit of sport....

You have absolutely no idea on "sporting Shooting" in the UK... and your last post shows it.

Tell me.. Just how many Deer have you shot, to decide that stalking is un-sporting?

Another keyboard shooter

Stick to plinking coke cans please.

EDIT

Remind me... arn't you the chap that went hunting in the Easten Block with a semi/full auto rifle.....

Please tell me how that can be defined as either a - sporting or b - not the sign of cammo clad, pump owning nutjob

Edited by garyb

Nope Babby releasing gamebirds is a sport that has occurred for centuries now, food is a side issue as is your shooting. You don't have to shoot for food as I'm sure you have supermarkets near you. You shoot because you enjoy it, game shooting is a sport as it gives the birds a sporting chance its a mass participation sport in the UK and I don't know anyone who releases game birds just for food as its a pretty **** way of producing food. You may not understand it as doesn't MPT1 but you really ought to do a bit of beating and see what its about before getting all judgemental about the larger side of shooting in the UK most of the countryside in England is designed as it is for game birds. I know the vast majority of my local woods are shaped and positioned to be right for the shooting and that sure as hell isn't because the local owners were feeling hungry and thought they'd better release a few thousand pheasants.

i'm out tomorrow and will no doubt miss a load but I'll only be shooting at the birds that are flying well and high rather than the ones at 20 feet up you can slap with your eyes shut

Edited by al4x