how difficult is it to raise pheasants?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you Gary it'll be zilch hence he won't undestand that taking the shot is the last minute of a stalk that could have taken hours and the chance is actually that the deer will spot you and clear off. Its total ignorance

:rolleyes:

I was gonna say that !

The sporting chance is the 300 yards you have sneaked,crawled etc etc to get to that hundred yard mark without a deer seeing you.

no al, i think ive hit it pretty much dead on. oh and i used to live beside a large estate (as i mentioned earlier) that released pheasants and ducks and organised shoots, so i do know what its about. oh and i wondered when tradition was going to raise its ugly head :rolleyes:

yes garyb, youre right, ive never shot a deer. but going by everyones standards of sport, the only "sporting" way of doing it would be to be snapping off shots at a running deer - how does a deer have a sporting chance if it doesnt know youre there after all, eh?

i dont distinguish between different types of animals. i treat a crow with as much respect as i treat a pheasant. every animal has the right to a quick, clean death. i never denied i dont enjoy it, but as i have said countless times i only shoot for food or for pest control. if there was nothing about that fitted either of those descriptions, id stick to clays.

you don't have to shoot though so if you're bothered why do it?

You're missing the point entirely, some of us can cope with shooting being sport I get as much satisfaction from dropping a high flying pheasant to a decent pigeon shot. So don't hide behind pest control your farmer could put out a gas gun and it would keep them off every day of the week. You've got this pre conception about game shooting in your brain having never done it or understood it before spouting more rubbish you really need to get an idea what you're talking about

you don't have to shoot though so if you're bothered why do it?

You're missing the point entirely, some of us can cope with shooting being sport I get as much satisfaction from dropping a high flying pheasant to a decent pigeon shot. So don't hide behind pest control your farmer could put out a gas gun and it would keep them off every day of the week. You've got this pre conception about game shooting in your brain having never done it or understood it before spouting more rubbish you really need to get an idea what you're talking about

no, youre missing the point. i have done game shooting, and i do understand it, and i think youre really missing my point. i get satisfaction as well from tough shots, i have already admitted that i enjoy it. but personally, enjoying it is not enough reason to kill something for me. yes, the farmer has tried a gas gun, it worked for 3 days, but then the crows were so used to it they were coming back in bigger numbers than before.

i think you need to take a look at yourself al. if you can justify killing an animal for sport or for tradition, then good on you, congratulations. i cant. so thats why i try to make sure every shot is as clean and humane as possible, which is why i would have no problem shooting a pheasant in a tree.

what you've been a gun on a driven day and still don't get anything about it? you're shooting pheasants like they're vermin which to me is very wrong as a bird that flies as well as they do and provides the sporting shots you get when game shooting deserves more than that. Why you're thinking of releasing birds to blast is beyond me the food argument doesn't stack up as its not the best way of getting a pheasant on your plate so basically it comes to having something else walking about to blast with your pump action. As Gary said earlier you would be far better off sticking to tin cans than pheasants

Nope Babby releasing gamebirds is a sport that has occurred for centuries now, food is a side issue as is your shooting. You don't have to shoot for food as I'm sure you have supermarkets near you. You shoot because you enjoy it, game shooting is a sport as it gives the birds a sporting chance its a mass participation sport in the UK and I don't know anyone who releases game birds just for food as its a pretty **** way of producing food. You may not understand it as doesn't MPT1 but you really ought to do a bit of beating and see what its about before getting all judgemental about the larger side of shooting in the UK most of the countryside in England is designed as it is for game birds. I know the vast majority of my local woods are shaped and positioned to be right for the shooting and that sure as hell isn't because the local owners were feeling hungry and thought they'd better release a few thousand pheasants.

i'm out tomorrow and will no doubt miss a load but I'll only be shooting at the birds that are flying well and high rather than the ones at 20 feet up you can slap with your eyes shut

What is it I don't understand? :rolleyes:

i dont distinguish between different types of animals. i treat a crow with as much respect as i treat a pheasant.

Which apparently is none. What you have managed in what you have said so far babbyc is to offend everyone on this sight who shoots game and deer, having been on 3 stalks i can say the deer has a real sporting chance in getting away. where as a pheasant in a tree they are very easy to get within range of. You clearly have very little respect for game and must have minimal experience of game shooting to take such a dim view.

George.

Which apparently is none. What you have managed in what you have said so far babbyc is to offend everyone on this sight who shoots game and deer, having been on 3 stalks i can say the deer has a real sporting chance in getting away. where as a pheasant in a tree they are very easy to get within range of. You clearly have very little respect for game and must have minimal experience of game shooting to take such a dim view.

George.

not really. i just dont need to kid myself with romanticised notions of "sport" to justify killing animals. as said many times in the past, i do it for pest control and for food. yes, i enjoy it, but i only shoot for those reasons. as for little respect for game... i respect it as a living, breathing animal. i do not attach any special thought to the fact if its a pheasant, a pigeon, a duck or a crow, which many people here seem to do, i view them all the same. a mark of respect in my book is doing my utmost to ensure that i take the best shot possible in the situation, with the minial amount of stress and pain to the quarry.

if that, as some people seem to think, makes me some sort of thug or unrespectful idiot, well, im glad im not thought of as a sporting shooter then. because all this talk of only killing for sport reminds me of too many other pass times... a bit of bull fighting, anyone?

hell, at least the fox hunters had the sense to say it was pest control :good:

When i go game shooting i am harvesting a. However I too shoot vermin but i take a more scientific approach i am there to do a job that is stopping the rabbits from damaging my granddad's crops so if that means head shots on rabbits from 150 yards with my hmr thats what i will do. With the pheasants i am 'harvesting' the crop put down and not on vermin control this is why i get dressed up in tweed and shoot a double barreled not a pump or semi its all part of my respect for what i feel to be a higher class of quarry as i am not doing it to get the job done.

George

P.S. i am not trying to offend anyone who uses a semi or a pump there is a time and a place for everything.

Edited by groach1234

babby cant you change the bleeding record! if you read back on all of your previous posts you have said that tripe over and over again! nobody is buying it! now away out with the lamp there and get the pump gun ready for the dozing pheasants.

Benelli you have been lucky that baby made those outlandish comments about deer stalking and shooting roosting birds after all you have had some quite opinionated views on game shooting for someone who never has nor intends to go game shooting :good:

George

everyone is entitled to there opinion groach, you gona persecute me now because i dont like pheasant shooting? my opinion on mass produced pheasant shooting is that it aint for me, thats all. i mean it aint real wild sport, which is what i go after

No not at all not to persecute at all as you say each to there own. I'm just saying you came out lucky you aren't the one being slated by people because as was hinted earlier on that you could have been a 'troll' they tend to be the focal point of venting of frustration.

George

ollie, as i said already, this has all been blown out of proportion by benelli montetwatro. i have no intention of putting all that time, effort and money into raising pheasants just so i can go around blasting them out of trees and shooting them on the ground, as i said we are intending on building up the pheasant population in the area so that therell be the odd one floating about when were out after pigeons and rabbits. shooting every pheasant we saw, be it running along the ground or sitting in a tree, would be counter productive. and yes, i have let many shots go in the past, such as the time a hare hopped right up behind me, or when a fox walked out of a hedge 20 feet away and sat down looking at me. i didnt see the point in taking it.

now as for disrespectful, personally i see using the term "sport" for killing birds far more disrespectful than anything else. you know, i dont see too many people complaining that sniping a fox at 100 yards with a .223 isnt sporting, as the fox doesnt have a sporting chance, unless you miss. again, i dont see many people having a go at someone shooting roosting pigeons in a barn with an air rifle - what chance have they? and as for sniping rabbits at 50 yards with a 10/22? how many us has have peered through a scope, watching a rabbit sitting there washing its face, unawares that its about to be dinner? yeah, thats all very sporting isnt it :good:

a pheasant, to me, is no different than a rabbit or a pigeon - its destined for the pot. the greatest respect anyone can show to an animal is making sure its death is as clean and as pain free as possible. which is why, if i DID see a pheasant sitting in a tree, i would have no qualms about taking the shot, assuming the shot will not damage the meat and it will not be counter productive to our plan of introducing a local population again.

ok, ive had a few pm's and i know some people agree with me, some dont, but really it doesnt matter. this row has come about because a person who, with a total of 8 posts in a week, has tried to engineer his second row on this forum in a week. dont play into his hands :good:

First of all I don't own a rifle so these comments about sniping a fox or rabbit at 100 yards or whatever is totally unfounded. I shoot foxes that are hunted out of cover by dogs and if they come out and sit 20 feet away from me I will shoot it because at the end of the day they are vermin, the same goes for crows and magpies. As for pigeons and rabbits (and not everyone will agree with me) I usually give them a sporting chance because I see them as food as well as vermin. At the end of the day if you rare the pheasants you can do what you want with them within the law but it doesn't mean that anyone on this site will agree.

I also have never shot a deer but I see it as a very sporting quarry as it is a totally wild quarry and they are very smart animals. Also as far as I know most deer stalkers have a cull to meet so this justifys shooting them standing.

just stick to shooting these Babby

Heinz_Baked_Bean_In_Tomato_Sauce_415g.jpg

obviously we can't convince you that certain sporting birds are released and shot as such, and you obviously wouldn't see good shooting as something to admire on the game field so its pointless arguing. It is so far different to pest control which is why there are seasons where you can shoot the birds probably not worth worrying about in your case but the rest of us shoot them in season. This lets the populations breed and supply more sport the following year which with pests isn't an issue as the fewer the better. Basically you're making yourself look bloody silly and loosing all credibility here so probably best to drop it :good:

Edited by al4x

When I saw your initial post the other day on how to rear pheasants? I was gonna give you an in depth summary of how I went about catching up, incubating, rearing the birds from day one, all the way up to the time of release in to the pens, then the feeding & watering routine, not to mention the on going vermin control.

I'm glad I didn't bother,cos you've just shown your true colours :good:

Personally if I am clearing pests I don't care if it's dead, fatally wounded or crippled, either way it ceases to be a pest. If most people were honest they would say the same.

Come on what do you really think?

What do i really think?

Well i think that statement says a lot about the type of 'hunter' you are. You show no respect for your quarry and openly boast on a public forum of wounding or crippling what you shoot. Thankfully you only have an air rifle, God only knows the carnage you'd reap given access to a shotgun. There have been some very disturbing posts in this thread, but at least it's starting to show the true colours of some of the members on here. In my opinion EVERY bird/animal we shoot, whether for sport/pest or pot should be killed as quickly and humanely as possible and NEVER be left wounded or 'crippled'. If you can't show that respect to your quarry then you shouldn't be allowed to shoot.