Rabbit Problem.

rushy lad

Hi, I Have a slight dilemma, I have permission on a large amatuer football ground, and because of its rural setting it is teeming with rabbits!

The problem is though they are just so hard to get at!! They are lamp-shy due to people trying to nail them in the past(without success) There are no warrens to ferret only really dense cover. I can,t use my terriers because the land backs on to the railway and the dogs would be on the line in no time. Can,t use a lurcher or gun on the lamp because they are off in seconds and the pitches are surrounded by metal fencing which a lurcher would neck itself on.

Anyone any ideas? :lol:

Whats this obsession everybody has with lamping? Get up early in the morning and wait with a (silenced) rifle in the first hour or two after dawn. There will be plenty of them about and like foxes they just do not expect anybody to be out first thing in the morning.

WARNING: If its near a railway line, like Rushy Lad has said, then becarefull :lol: .

Unless the land is passed for firearms, or even air rifles, you could have the armed response unit on top of you in a very short time :lol: :*) .

Long netting, sounds the best bet to me, on a good windy dark night :lol: .

With all that is going on with security the past month, the police are on high alert :lol: .

Edited by Frank

Thanks for all the responses, I forgot to say it is also 40 yards away(yes 40 yards!) from the local police station and it is one way in, one way out of the grounds so my guess longnetting would be quite difficult. As I have never used one could anyone give me any idea of books,dvd,s etc to get on longnetting?

I do a lot of ferreting with purse nets and a lot of ground work and ratting with my Dogs but I have never used a long net. :lol:

All i have to add is if it is a means of control then in this situation i would snare and longnet making sure you can check your snares at least twice a day but longnetting on a good cloudy,windy night should help you out with the rabbit problem in no time. enjoy the challenge!!!! i would

shore_shot

• 2 weeks later...