What chokes for sporting and skeet?

tomba26

Until recently I have shot with 1/4 and 1/2 chokes and not really put much thought into it. What do the more eperienced clay shooters suggest using for mainly sporting clays? Also I do shoot skeet a bit now and then, again what are the reccomendations here for chokes?

Many thanks.

Your 1/4 and 1/2 will be absolutely fine for sporting :blush: I tend to use 1/4 and 3/8 most of the time or 3/8 and 1/2 if there is quite a bit of rangey stuff. (I don't hit much though... :) )

If you are shooting enough skeet to warrant it, I would buy yourself a pair of dedicated skeet chokes. If not 1/4 and cyl will do fine.

In my opinion......... :P

In sporting, there's no logical reason for the tighter choke to be in the top barrel, that's a DTL or trap thing, where you can second barrel the clay when it's more distant if you miss with the first barrel. In sporting there's nothing to say that the second barrel is going to be a longer range shot. So for a start, this means (to me) that you shoot same choke in both barrels. Up until recently, I used to shoot 1/2 and 1/2 but now shoot 1/4 and 1/4 at most targets following advice from blokes who know what they're on about, who suggested to me that I was penalising myself unnecessarily by using tight chokes on close targets. I do fiddle with chokes occasionally though. If faced with a long range shot, I still bung a 1/2 choke in that barrel and if faced with a ridiculously close range bird, I bung a skeet choke in that barrel.

If you get to be a top shot, you'll probably want to shoot full or 3/4 choke, because it can make it clearer if you're slightly high or low or behind or whatever, but I'm a long way off that :blush: . I tend to agree with the advice that I was given by Cat (and Magman :P ) that there's little point in making things any harder than they need to be. At Shugborough today, we were quite surprised at how well 1/4 chokes can break some very rangey clays :lol:

Of course, the down side of shooting same size choke in both barrels is that you need to buy extra ones :)

Edited by Chard

In my opinion......... :)

In sporting, there's no logical reason for the tighter choke to be in the top barrel, that's a DTL or trap thing, where you can second barrel the clay when it's more distant if you miss with the first barrel. In sporting there's nothing to say that the second barrel is going to be a longer range shot. So for a start, this means (to me) that you shoot same choke in both barrels. Up until recently, I used to shoot 1/2 and 1/2 but now shoot 1/4 and 1/4 at most targets following advice from blokes who know what they're on about, who suggested to me that I was penalising myself unnecessarily by using tight chokes on close targets. I do fiddle with chokes occasionally though. If faced with a long range shot, I still bung a 1/2 choke in that barrel and if faced with a ridiculously close range bird, I bung a skeet choke in that barrel.

If you get to be a top shot, you'll probably want to shoot full or 3/4 choke, because it can make it clearer if you're slightly high or low or behind or whatever, but I'm a long way off that :blush: . I tend to agree with the advice that I was given by Cat (and Magman :P ) that there's little point in making things any harder than they need to be. At Shugborough today, we were quite surprised at how well 1/4 chokes can break some very rangey clays :lol:

Of course, the down side of shooting same size choke in both barrels is that you need to buy extra ones :)

Sorry, that did it for me :P :P :P

:yes::hmm: B)

LOL,

For skeet i shoot SKT\SKT with a 28g 9, Sporting generally 1\4 and 1\2 with a 28g 7.5.

I found messing with chokes and cartridges didn't help much, if you are new to it stick to what works, as has been said find what works for you.

I hit far more now i can't be ***** changing chokes, i may change the load to something bigger shot wise with the exception of one ground where i shoot 1\4 and 1\2.

They won't make any difference apart from providing an excuse\distraction\confusion.

I was once told by a good mate, and GB team member, to (and I quote):-

"Stop ******* around with chokes and shoot 1/4 1/4 for everything. If you really NEED to change A choke

put 1/2 in for rangey edge on birds"

I took his advice, stopped worrying about chokes, and started enjoying my shooting more.

Thanks for the replies folks, I'm going to order anoither 1/4 choke for sporting and try shooting 1/4 and 1/4 as Chard and Browning suggested. Would it be worth getting a couple of skeet chokes or just take one of the 1/4 chokes out and bung a cyl choke in the days I am shooting skeet (which are not nearly as often as sporting to be honest)?

It's probably also worth tryying some no 9 or even 8 cartridges for skeet as up until now I have just shot 7.5 for everyting (recently with Eley Blues).

Cheers.

I` shoot 1/4 + 1/4 for everything but 60yd edge-on clays and then I stick in a 3/4 choke to make sure.

I also only use 21g or 24g cartridges.

1/4 + 1/4 will take out most English Sporting targets and annihilate skeet.

1/4 + 1/4 and forget them.

If your on them, you`ll break them. :good:

Edited by COACH

Obviously everyone has there own ideas but I always use Skeet choke in my bottom barrel and Cylider in my top. I usually use 28 gram 8 shot cartridges of whatever brand is to hand.

In my oppinion you may as well make your pattern as wide as possible when your not shooting live game - it only takes 1 pellet to break a clay.

Occasionally if i get to a stand with a really long range target i will slip in a Half choke, but I think its easy to worry too much about chokes and end up playing 'Golf' and changing choke on each stand!

• 10 years later...