AAs410

Aceon

Hi

My AAS410 is only reading 10.3ft/lbs on the crono as i do alot of pest control with the rifle i need to get the full power of 12ft/lbs so i can despatch the prey quickley and humainley ,does any one know how to ajust the presure on this type of gun? if you could help it would be great!

thanks Aceon

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than tamper wit it yourself, I suggest it would be better to take it to your local gunsmith who will be able to set it to a safe limit using a chrono. If you start playing with the rifle you could find yourself on the wrong side of the 12lb mark.

Regards,

Axe.

I don't know how to do as you ask, but it is normal for a rifle to show different energy levels with different pellets. Try some others and see what effect it has.

By the way, I doubt the rabbits would know the difference between 10.4 ft pounds and 11.6, or 13, come to that, but the cops sure would if you accidentally over adjusted it and got pulled. As I understand it, if they have reason to test a rifle, they run a variety of pellets through it to see if it can be coaxed above the legal limit. I expect they'd need a good reason to want to throw the book at you for something before going to this trouble, such as inappropriate behaviour with it, but it's a situation best avoided. Leave well alone maybe...

Mind how you go.... Cheers.

Edited by Evilv

i have spoken to air arms m8 and the power adjuster screw in the side is for very very slight adjustments,ie for gun smith tuning.best not to mess with it m8 if it gets set at 12ftlb and you get nabbed and the pc plod test it they mite put a heavy pellet through it measuring over 12ftlb...not good m8.to be hones m8 what ranges are you shooting quarry at? and what quarry are you shooting?

back in the days when i was looking for every ounce of power  i could get i played with the side screws mentiond it was on  the aa300 it took it to13.?in177 my advice take it to a gunsmith  it aint worth the **** plod will bring down on you

I see your point. What is point of ONE extra lb/ft if you have to carry your soap on a rope for the next five years.

Adding this as an edit ...........

No amount of extra power is worth doing five years for!

Edited by SNAKEBITE

All new guns are having the power adjusters removed imminently anyway to appease plod and the antis. The Mk3 daystate has already lost it's "pot". Whilst unlikely to get 5 years (it says mandatory but the reality is it's not) for 13 ft/lb you would get a criminal conviction to your name and your gun crushed. Power can vary by 2 ft/lb with different pellets so try a range. Just because one make 12 ft/lb though doesn't mean it'll group well. Even 10 ft/lb is plenty at normal hunting ranges. The difference between 10 and 11.5 ft/lb is only 1/3 inch holdover at 45 yds and shooting acurately beyond that is the realm of a very few experts.

I shot last years HFT with my AAs400 doing 10.5f/lb taking 45yd targets easy. I wouldn't be shooting live quarry at that range though! Best stick to 35yd max. I used the side screw to wind the power down to 10.5 because when attending an HFT comp my gun was randomly cronod and it was just about legal. Where it had been sat in the sun when i was waiting for my round to shoot the gun was hot and it affected the pressure, so be warned. :P

well thanks for all your advice i will think twice before i get the power ajusted, i think i will weight till i have a FAC and then i will get it ajusted by the gun smith!

Got access to a chronograph? then you CAN adjust it yourself! a standard 400/410 is unregulated, therefore it has a power curve, filling to its max of approx 190 bar will produce low power shots, as the pressure drops down into the "Sweet zone" the power will rise.

Test you gun with a full charge and a good supply of pellets, your chrono' will tell you the individual "Sweet spot" of your gun, make a note of the pressure reading whilst in this zone.

Obviously if the maximum muzzle velocity falls noticably below 12ft/lb adjust in quarter turn increments, do take note that velocity will increase in hot weather.

This power curve bobbins, how "bad" is it?

If I were to pump an AA410(for example) upto the maximum reccomended pressure and go out into the field how many shots will it take to reach the "sweet spot" and how will these shots behave before the sweet spot is reached?

Should I be taking these shots at live targets?

Is the effect that noticable?

Is it better to only pump the rifle upto the pressure that the "sweet spot" starts at?

If so should you re-pump when the "sweet spot" is over?

Sorry about the questions but this is somthing that I was concerned about before going into p.c.p. territory!! (Yeah, like I REALLY need to be confused even more! :huh: )

This power curve bobbins, how "bad" is it?

If I were to pump an AA410(for example) upto the maximum reccomended pressure and go out into the field how many shots will it take to reach the "sweet spot" and how will these shots behave before the sweet spot is reached?

Should I be taking these shots at live targets?

Is the effect that noticable?

Is it better to only pump the rifle upto the pressure that the "sweet spot" starts at?

If so should you re-pump when the "sweet spot" is over?

Sorry about the questions but this is somthing that I was concerned about before going into p.c.p. territory!! (Yeah, like I REALLY need to be confused even more! :huh: )

The one thing to avoid is filling to 190 bar, it depends on the individual gun but the "Sweetspot" might begin as high as 170-180 and stay fairly consistant down to about 90-100, so in other words find your "Sweet spot" and dont waste your time filling above that. :lol:

When i first got my AA400 i would fill it to max pressure and the initial shots would produce approx 10.8 ft/lb.

Before a hunting trip i will check that my gun is in the 160-170 region, i know that my "Sweetspot" is actually a little higher than that, but for shot to shot consistancy thats the area i keep it in.

, therefore it has a power curve, filling to its max of approx 190 bar will produce low power shots, as the pressure drops down into the "Sweet zone" the power will rise.

Here are the results of the FAC version of this model .

The Data has been supplied by Air Arms themselves Using their software and Chrono and returned to me with the gun after they had serviced it.

Shotstore for windows Version 1.1.0,copyright ©2001 Target Tronics

Shot Velocity (ft/s) Weight (grns) Energy(ft.lb)

1 915 16.40 30.50

2 917 " 30.63

3 915 " 30.50

4 916 " 30.56

5 917 " 30.63

6 923 " 31.03

7 931 " 31.57

8 928 " 31.37

9 933 " 31.71

10 938 " 32.05

11 955 " 33.22

12 963 " 33.78

13 963 " 33.78

14 966 " 33.99

15 968 " 34.13

16 971 " 34.34

17 971 " 34.34

18 966 " 33.99

19 966 " 33.99

20 966 " 33.99

21 963 " 33.78

22 966 " 33.99

23 966 " 33.99

24 957 " 33.36

25 952 " 33.01

26 955 " 33.22

27 946 " 32.60

28 946 " 32.60

29 941 " 32.25

30 938 " 32.05

31 933 " 31.71

32 928 " 31.37

33 925 " 31.17

34 926 " 31.23

35 922 " 30.96

Ave Vel 944.34 ft/s Velocity spread 56 .00 ft/s

Ave Eng 32.50 ft lb Energy spread 3.85 ft/b

Power curve showing sweet zone as OJ as pointed out

Right i'm off to show the Wife a good Husband

Cheers Ive :huh:

That SEEMS to be quite a difference in power output!

What does this relate to in REAL LIFE TERMS?

Will the spread be as wide (Percentage wise, not as in a 5lb difference!) on a legal limit rifle?

Thanks for the info anyway!

Target Zero 50m

Gun zero'd in at shots 11 to 25 (sweet zone)

Shot 1 drops 1" low

Still powerful enough to kill a rabbit shooting it through the head as the velocity is there ...............But 12 ft lb.........Well :huh:

Cheers Ive

Target Zero 50m

Shot 1 drops 1" low

Still powerful enough to kill a rabbit shooting it through the head as the velocity is there ...............But 12 ft lb.........Well :huh:

Cheers Ive

I should say so - at 50 yards, shot number one would still have 17 ft pounds of energy.

I've noticed the same kind of capers with my new Webley Axsor. The first ten or so shots hit an inch lower at a forty yard target than subsequent ones. Mine seems to come to its best power at about 160 bar. I haven't run the pressure down below 125 bar yet, but its still at its optimum then.

Target Zero 50m

Shot 1 drops 1" low

Still powerful enough to kill a rabbit shooting it through the head as the velocity is there ...............But 12 ft lb.........Well  :lol:

Cheers Ive

I should say so - at 50 yards, shot number one would still have 17 ft pounds of energy.

I've noticed the same kind of capers with my new Webley Axsor. The first ten or so shots hit an inch lower at a forty yard target than subsequent ones. Mine seems to come to its best power at about 160 bar. I haven't run the pressure down below 125 bar yet, but its still at its optimum then.

Evilv

Unless you know something i don 't shot 1 as 30.50 ft lb s of energy :huh:

Cheers Ive