AAs410

Aceon

:< Mr. farmers kidz came trundling out as the magpies gathered to peck out the eyes of one I knocked from a tree - so that put an end to that days shooting. :D

I went to another farm the next morning and had better luck with bunnies (2)

:/ I'd like to think it was better fieldcraft, but in reality I had'nt worked that field of fluffy virgins before :(

Thanks for your input - And I dont blame you for not wanting to screw your adjusters in and out to count the turns/parts of turns then put them back just to let me know approximately the right place to keep it legal

ttfn Dave-G

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dave that adjuster is for rough fine tuning the rifle, no two rifles are ever the same when they come off the production line, so what would be 12F/lbs for one rifle could be well over the limit for another.

and a word to the wise if someone reports a guy with a sniper rifle in the fields where you shoot, the police will have no option but to come out in their boiler suits and have a look. I some how doubt if they would allow you "give me two secs to turn it down to legal limit before you take it for testing"

KEEP IT SAFE, KEEP IT LEGAL!

ROB :D

:D Yes - You are quite right roblade - and I want to be reasonably confident it is legal until I can get it chrono'd again - this time for keeps. :D

:D I just cant help feeling that if the powers that be saw how much the quarry suffer they would raise the legal poundage when used for authorised pest control on private property in the countryside on a of "horses for courses basis" :D

I'm sure there is justification for the 12lb limit in a town or city where there is no permission to shoot in fields.

:< Easier to blanket ban innit mate :P

:/ I feel inclined to restrict the use of my 12 pounder to rats and squirrels now - and pies that I hate with a passion :(

Edited by Dave-G

:/ I just cant help feeling that if the powers that be saw how much the quarry suffer they would raise the legal poundage when used for authorised pest control on private property in the countryside on a of "horses for courses basis" :D

Dave

One of the reasons i'm FAC ..........my rifle is 31-35 ft lbs more humane and more effective. :D:D

The irony is that the 12 ftlber is the first intro to shooting AND THE HARDEST TO MASTER where out in the field hunting is concerned . :P:D

Nice to see an Honest and straight speaking member on this Forum :/

Ive :(

My TX200 kills rabbits very effectively and without the suffering described above by Dave, as long as I keep within the range i know I can hit their brains at, and as long as I don't use it in windy weather when I can't judge the windage precisely enough.

My newly accquired Axsor is even better since as a pcp it's light and easier to shoot (no jump from big springs and pistons). Last Monday I fired at ten rabbits between thirty and forty yards away. There were nine instant kills and one that twitched for about ten seconds. It is a tool of almost surgical precision. In one case i was stalking a warren I know, approaching standing and up wind. I saw two sets of ears poking above the grass and aimed at the root of one pair as I pulled the trigger. It was an offhand shot that later transpired to be thirty six yards. The rabbit was dead on the spot and at the same instant it was hit half an inch below its ear. The pellet went in one side and exited the eye on the other.

If I went for a FAC air rifle, I'd gain maybe another ten yards and increase the chance that minor deviations of fractions of a minute of arc would cause me to miss the old brain box due to the extra distances I'd be tempted to shoot at.

Edited by Evilv

If I went for a FAC air rifle, I'd gain maybe another ten yards and increase the chance that minor deviations of fractions of a minute of arc would cause me to miss the old brain box due to the extra distances I'd be tempted to shoot at.

Evilv

At what foot poundage are you talking just to gain an extra 10 yds .I speak for myself when i say that knowing the characteristics of the gun like i do ,with no wind i can kill rabbits cleanly at 75yds although i mainy operate around 60 yds and would no doubt yourself would be just as capable .

I've said this before ,,,,,,,,,,There is no substitution for age ,experience and patiance where the 12 ft lber is concerned as the operator is nearly always using the gun to it's MAXIMUM potential where the margin for error is miniscule. :D

Cheers Ive :/

Now chrono'd to 11.7 ftlbs!

I dropped a bit lucky yesterday - My grandson and I were building a tree/bracken hide when I heard a bit of commotion near the gate of the field which is alongside the next farmers fields

B) He was letting cattle in - upshot is that I can now shoot his two nearest fields as well - and It's a good two hour stroll around them !!!:thumbs:

They must have been virgins too cos we got 2 the first day - and 7 that night! (white lamp)

I dont really know why I thought of it - but I started pulling grass up, similar to the way a grazing animal tears it, and occasionally "knocked" the ground too like a hoof clump? I even got so close once that I had to hold under

I dont really know why I thought of it - but I started pulling grass up, similar to the way a grazing animal tears it, and occasionally "knocked" the ground too like a hoof clump? I even got so close once that I had to hold under

I supose if the rabbits are in a field with cows then they get used to "cow noises".

If you make a noise that they associate with cows then they are less likely to be spooked.

Seema a reasnable explanation but I dunno I am not a rabbit psychologist :thumbs:

I was sitting in the wood yesterday, waiting for some bunnys. I'd been sitting still about ten minutes, back to a wall, not camo'd up or anything, just a green mucky old anorak thing on with the hood up, and two rabbits ran up from out of sight over a hummock and surprised me by stopping and scampering about together ten feet from me. Couldn't believe it - I just sat and watched them nibbling grass (I'd already shot seven which I had strewn all around me ready for gutting. Anyway, they only ran away when I scratched at an annoying fly on my face, and when they did, three others ran up the hill towards me and then ran back. One, sad for her, ran twenty five yards from me and stopped in full view (unlike the others who were out of sight). At that point, sentimentality and interest in observing the behaviour of the genus 'Lepus' drained away and an accupell was sent right through her head.

I've taken 136 rabbits off that one place since the beginning of July. They're less tame now though, and I'm having to stop after about ten per three hour session. Earlier in the saeason, I was getting twice that. The bag was really limited by what I was prepared to gut and carry away. I've been shooting since 1975, and I've never seen anything like the rabbits there. The place is about ten acres and is (was) infested.

Evilv

At what foot poundage are you talking just to gain an extra 10 yds .I speak for myself when i say that knowing the characteristics of the gun like i do ,with no wind i can kill rabbits cleanly at 75yds although i mainy operate around 60 yds and would no doubt yourself would be just as capable .

I've said this before ,,,,,,,,,,There is no substitution for age ,experience and patiance where the 12 ft lber is concerned as the operator is nearly always using the gun to it's MAXIMUM potential where the margin for error is miniscule. :thumbs:

Cheers Ive B)

Well - let's say 25 ft pounds. Setting up chairgun with that power the optimum zero is 38 yards. It shoots flat (i/2 inch up and down for 45 yards, and by 60 yards, we're already into 3 inches of hold over. By 70 yards it's 7 inches. At 35 foot pounds the seven inch drop comes in at 82 yards. Of course you'll get more chances at longer ranges, but only at the cots of a LOT more wind drift and likely error.

I'm not knocking it - just an observation that by sticking to a max of forty yards, I can kill them outright 97% of the time and I have no hassle with special firearms regs.

I used to have .22lr and .22wmr, and I'm familiar with the control issues that come in with that legal definition of 'firearm'. Also, the heavier bullets used in rimfire don't drift nearly as much in wind. My shooting is high up in the Pennines and there's always at least a breeze. Different people have different needs though. My comments are just a reflection of my own feelings and every other guy will have his own view.

Cheers...

Edited by Evilv