Seroma

Cranfield

We have an English Setter and she is a non working bitch.

Two weeks ago an orange sized lump appeared on her front right elbow.

A same day visit to the Vet had it drained and he said it was due to her laying on hard floors.

She spends most of her time laying on soft carpet, blanket or quilt.

We do have a quarry tiled kitchen and rear lobby and she does lay there when its hot.

Two days later and she is back at the Vets, its returned and is about the same size.

The Vet suggests an operation to remove "the cyst" and she is booked in for two days later.

After the operation, all appears well for about 5 days, then it starts to swell again.

On the 10th day she goes to have the stiches removed and they only remove half and drain the wound, antibiotics are prescribed.

The rest of the stiches are removed 4 days later and the wound drained again.

Yesterday (2 days later), she is back at the Vets as it has reappeared, still the size of an orange, its drained and stronger antibiotics are prescribed.

I spoke to the Practice Manager today, as I am unhappy about the treatment she has received and the lack of any resolution to the problem.

It was arranged that my Wife would take her in today, to see the "Senior" Vet.

His opinion is that its a "Seroma" caused by laying on hard surfaces.

The two options are;

Another operation, which will be more "agressive" and require extensive after care, as the wound will have drains into the bandages, which will need to be changed a few times a day, for some long time.

The other option is to leave it and just moniotor it, to ensure that no secondary infections occur by the bag getting scratched, punctured etc.(It will be difficult stopping her licking it and this has caused it to leak slightly in the past).

Has anyone else had any experience of this condition and can suggest an alternative solution ?

I'm not happy to leave the lump there, but I also have to consider a 12 year old bitch having another operation and the aftercare committment, with no guaranteed results.

I should also mention that out Vets is a large practise and throughout this saga, I doubt we have seen the same Vet twice.

My old lab had a seroma many years ago, after he ruptured himself (hernia) when he got hung up jumping a fallen tree, this big lump appeared in his groin so I took him to the vet and he diagnosed a hernia and the lump was in fact a seroma formed as a result of the rupture, he had to have an operation to repair the rupture and the seroma went away.

More info on seroma's here

http://www.datasci.com/references/technote...2-0027-002.html