Diesel vs Petrol

smiiithy

And the driver side wing mirror has a crack in it which he says he doesn't have time to get repaired but could sell a replacement for £30

All sounds abit Arthur Daily to me. If he hasn't the time to repair a faulty wing mirror in order to make the sale to you, he obviously couldn't care less. I personally, would walk away.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's possibly down to the fact I was asking for a weekend viewing which they do by appointment

All sounds abit Arthur Daily to me. If he hasn't the time to repair a faulty wing mirror in order to make the sale to you, he obviously couldn't care less. I personally, would walk away.

it hasn't had an oil change for 30,000 miles :(

I can guarantee you since that last recorded oil change, given 30k miles have passed, it will have been topped up on a regualr basis, or its now bone dry. They do naturally consume quite a bit of oil which is normal.

Ive had the Golf GT TDI 150, and its a very good car, chalk and cheese to what you got at the moment. It pulls like mad, it will go like **** off a shovel compared to the Clio you have. I ordered mine de-badged, boy racers everywhere like to have a go at anything off the lights, nice to **** on their parade. Typically they are the clio and corsa brigade, all show and no go, complete with toy town lighting, loud sterio and even louder exhaust.............class A *********

Incidentally, It was also the best unit I have ever had for towing a caravan

I think your right. It's I’ve just spoken to them again and they’ve said they don’t have main dealer history after the cambelt but it been home serviced.

I can guarantee you since that last recorded oil change, given 30k miles have passed, it will have been topped up on a regualr basis, or its now bone dry. They do naturally consume quite a bit of oil which is normal.

Ive had the Golf GT TDI 150, and its a very good car, chalk and cheese to what you got at the moment. It pulls like mad, it will go like **** off a shovel compared to the Clio you have. I ordered mine de-badged, boy racers everywhere like to have a go at anything off the lights, nice to **** on their parade. Typically they are the clio and corsa brigade, all show and no go, complete with toy town lighting, loud sterio and even louder exhaust.............class A *********

Incidentally, It was also the best unit I have ever had for towing a caravan

The only difference between the 115, 130 and 150s is the map; all the physical parts are the same. At 151k I think a robust diesel engine should have plenty left in it. If I do go for it I’ll be ensuring the injectors are cleaned and glow plugs have been changed before long.

Smithy you need to know what cambelt kit is fitted to the VW as there are two different tensioning systems. One costs £201.13 and the other is £300.68 to supply and fit. Intervals are at 60K.

LB

I think your right. It's I’ve just spoken to them again and they’ve said they don’t have main dealer history after the cambelt but it been home serviced.

run away, that means you have no idea on maintenance, most home "mechanics" change the oil and filters and thats about it

Just to add, the 130 and 150`s are definately different to the 115. They did have a bigger turbo and a few other bits If i remember correctly, the 150 also had a front mounted intercooler, rather than the one under the drivers front wing like the other models.

Not being serviced for 30k miles... depends on the previous owner. Id see if you can speak to them and find out exactly what they serviced & replaced. Some owners are enthusiasts like myself and always replace everything, regardless of whether it needs it.

Also, VW`s had the option of "long life servicing" didnt they? Where the car tells you if it needs a service or not. Ive never looked into how this really works, but its my understanding that if the car was driven like a grannie drives, then the car wont need a service for years. However, if driven hard the car flags up that it needs a service quicker....

I can't see many people buying a GT TDi 150 to drive it like a granny but I'll see what info I can get and the car itself should be a reasonable indication of how it's been taken care of. My mate will be checking it out rather thoroughly too. I might have to put off going until Sunday so hopefully it hasn't sold.

Smiiithy

I had a 130 a few years back. As you (and others) say, they go like stink! Particularly at motorway speeds. However, they also understeer like crazy and that drove me mad! I tried a 150 and to be honest there's really little difference on the road in terms of actual performance.

On the chipping front - Don't bother with the plug in units. They simply don't work, all mine did was set off the ECU light all the time! If you really must get the engine re-mapped, go to APS in Brackley. Top blokes, really know their stuff. Be sure to remember to tell your insurers though, yes?

Like others have said - don't ignore the Skodas, they are superb.

Smiiithy

I had a 130 a few years back. As you (and others) say, they go like stink! Particularly at motorway speeds. However, they also understeer like crazy and that drove me mad! I tried a 150 and to be honest there's really little difference on the road in terms of actual performance.

On the chipping front - Don't bother with the plug in units. They simply don't work, all mine did was set off the ECU light all the time! If you really must get the engine re-mapped, go to APS in Brackley. Top blokes, really know their stuff. Be sure to remember to tell your insurers though, yes?

Like others have said - don't ignore the Skodas, they are superb.

Already got named driver which is bringing it down by a canny margin ;)

Going to calculate my average milage since my last MOT when I get the chance but with it at 14K it's now coming out at £590.30 and I can have my girlfriend as a provisional driver for £796.10

Edited by smiiithy

Just found that Golf on Google Maps Street View at the dealers address :rolleyes:

It looks like dodgey dealings in a rough area to me :good:

Whats the chances of typing in the dealers address for directions and finding the same make and model of car in the same colour and with the same wheels parked further down the street

You will need to factor in serving costs as Diesel is more expensive to service and on older cars, require more frequent servicing. I have always considered that Diesel makes more sense the larger the car size you choose and or high mileage.

How do you reach that conclusion when most diesel services are just oil, filter fuel and air filter changes? Plus a diesel exhaust lasts longer, because a diesel engine doesn't create water when it runs

I think you should all go for petrol, ???

I think everyone in the country should go for petrol cars :yes: , then maybe the government would drop the price of deisel, then i would be better off :good::good:

???

That's typical of you Dougy.............................. :lol:

But you do have a fair point i guess, what with you drivin that panzer tank ! :D