best pellets for hunting?

jimmyh1988

i bought my gun a few monthes ago and haven't been out that much with it but i'm just wonmdering cos i tried popping off some pigeons in the garden but my dome shaped pellets dont seem to be killing them i'm guessing i need pointed pellets for hunting any advice would be much appreciated

no way mate domed pellets should do the job fine. i found pointed pellets less accurate. if your hitting the birds in the chest or head they should be dropping. if your hitting them in the back then expect them to possibly fly off. the best pellet will be different to each gun the best thing to do is to try different types as often as you get a chance until you find the one that seems to be the most accurate :unsure: i always hunt with domed pellets cheers tom

If you use pointed pellets or those that are advertised as having a greater penetration you will merely wound the bird unless it is a head shot. If you can't manage a head shot then go for the area under the wing - the 'armpit' for want of a better word. Don't shoot them in the front of the chest if you can help it.

Use domed pellets like AA Fields or JSB Exacts providing they are accurate in your gun.

ok ty for the advice some appreciated the 2nd post isn't helpful sorry . ok so i'm guessing these domed pellets which are david nickerson would do the job for rabbits also. and m8 i dunno about an air rifle unless its a gas air rifle ever going half a mile especially a .177 lol with 12ft lb of pressure lol cheers lads much appreciated :unsure:

ok ty for the advice some appreciated the 2nd post isn't helpful sorry . ok so i'm guessing these domed pellets which are david nickerson would do the job for rabbits also. and m8 i dunno about an air rifle unless its a gas air rifle ever going half a mile especially a .177 lol with 12ft lb of pressure lol cheers lads much appreciated :unsure:

You'll find that the 2nd reply is actually very sound advice. If you can't shoot a gnat's nuts at 25 yards, stick to paper targets until you can. I used to practice shooting the 'bucket 'o soldiers' shooting the heads off them at 40 yards.

Pointed pellets are the absolute no-no of shooting live animals. They will go in and out and transfer very little of their energy on impact.

You want pellets that look like these:

10_23_07_lamprey.jpgbisley%20pest%20control%20pellets.jpg

Practice target shooting until you can shoot pellet on top of pellet and then practice some more. As for using pointed pellets, they are utter rubbish. My favourites were webley interceptors (hollow points) for rats and pigeons and AirArms or Accupells (domed) for rabbits. Head shots will kill pigeons, rats, rabbits and crows, magpies etc inside 30-40 yards anymore than that and you will struggle chest shooting a pigeon and killing it stone dead. HTH :unsure:

i bought my gun a few monthes ago and haven't been out that much with it but i'm just wonmdering cos i tried popping off some pigeons in the garden but my dome shaped pellets dont seem to be killing them i'm guessing i need pointed pellets for hunting any advice would be much appreciated

Would suggest listening to all the post re practice and aim they are very valid and helpfull, I think untill you can take these post in this way you should maybe stick to targets

Re the pellet choice 177 AA fields for me

ummm i have taken all advice on board thanks very much sorry dont mean to get ##### but all i asked for was advice on pellets not to have people who dont know me comment on my shooting skills yes i do practice with my rifle regulary and i rarely at the moment go out to shoot anything anyway but please dont try and make out that someone is rubbish at shooting when you know nothing about them and its completely off topic i dont post alot i tend to like just browing around the site but i thought i'd ask something and get more involved and now am wishing i didn't all i asked was whats the best pellet sorry for the rant but i am taking stuff on board and dont apreciate people insinuating i am not

jim :unsure:

ummm i have taken all advice on board thanks very much sorry dont mean to get arsey but all i asked for was advice on pellets not to have people who dont know me comment on my shooting skills yes i do practice with my rifle regulary and i rarely at the moment go out to shoot anything anyway but please dont try and make out that someone is rubbish at shooting when you know nothing about them and its completely off topic i dont post alot i tend to like just browing around the site but i thought i'd ask something and get more involved and now am wishing i didn't all i asked was whats the best pellet sorry for the rant but i am taking stuff on board and dont apreciate people insinuating i am not

jim :lol:

No-one said your rubbish at shooting, just giving advice. If you dont want it, don't take it, thats up to you. But imho if you ask for advice on a subject like this you are going to get these answers. Take it in your stride and take on board what you are told. After "a few months and not using your gun much" no-one is going to be an expert and getting clean kills comes with practice.

Tin hat ready mate because some people might not like your last post :unsure:

o i gathered that already m8 and i wasn't aiming that at you but unfotunately the way people word syuff can affend which it did with me i unfortunately have relatively short temper especially when i think people are getting at me i mean no offence to anyone but if i feel like i said before i'm being backed into a corner as i said i will comeout fighting the only advice i wanted was on pellets pharps i should have worded my own post better also :unsure: o well

jim

jim

I'll only stick up for someone if I feel that their opinion has been dismissed as rubbish when it's actually sound advice. I wasn't going to say anything but the "2nd post isn't helpful sorry" actually made me want to set you straight and make you less ignorant.

You'll get plenty of sound advice on here, but if you're not thick skinned, you'll last just few minutes on here... You need to take things in your stride and don't get so easily offended by peoples' opinions. If someone's genuinely rude to you, then tell them where to shove it. However I've not seen any evidence of this in this thread.

hi mate, ive always used Lazadomes which are the same i think to Air Arms Field, put a drop of wd40 or napier pellet lube in if the gun is below 12ft/lb to get it up a bit, i think its cruel to try and kill anything with a gun thats >11ft/lb. Also ive used RWS hollow point, they are great for rats but seem to be less accurate for me after about 20 yards. I have had a rimfire for a while now, and it blows the air rifle out of the water completley with effectivness and humane killing imho, so maybe consider a FAC if possible?

SP

I'd suggest using whatever is accurate in your gun. Usually pointed pellets aren't that accurate, so a good make domed pellet is what you want.

I hate to say it but you're going to have to accept the accuracy comments. You need to hit the head really, if you can't do that then you're going to need a bigger gun. Air rifles just don't have the power to make up for a lack of accuracy. They rely on the shooter placing their pellet exactly where it needs to be, and then they're deadly. It really is an art. I shoot bigger rifles now and you really need to do it to appreciate their power. Instead of needing to place the shot on a delicate point you just have to aim to hit the thickest part of the body mass on small animals. If it's facing away then just send one up its backside, it will come out of the front anyway! Even with power like that available I find that a good clean kill with the air rilfe is the best feeling I can get. I know that I've had to play a big part in getting the job done.

Don't take the accuracy suggestions as a dig at you. People are just trying to say that if you don't hit the right place then no pellet will work for you. You're flogging a dead horse trying to make the gun do something it's not capable of :(

i seem to be learning something here ive always thought if your facing the bird and nail it either in the head or below it's a kill. they always die with me anyway but a lot of people are saying dont hit it in front? is this because of the plumage? i use .177 aa's or accupels and never fail to kill if i hit them in the front only the occasional crow that are hard as nails get away. i think ill try a change of tactics and start going for the armpit now. should this be through the wing or just under it? cheers :(

but a lot of people are saying dont hit it in front? is this because of the plumage?

should this be through the wing or just under it? cheers :(

Not so much the plumage on the chest, more the breast bone or even a full crop can cause a pellet to just injure and not kill.

Talk of hitting in the armpit really refers to slipping a pellet up below the wingfold, but to be honest I don't reckon that is often that easy unless you are below the bird, such as roost shooting or shooting in buildings.