best pellets for hunting?

jimmyh1988

Field Target Trophy in .22 do it for me. I can understand why you may feel a bit p***y bout some replies but mate the advice is sound. I practice on paper in the field, 25-35 yds. Put pellet on pellet if I am on form. Many times I am not. Practice practice practice. That's my advice. ;)

Really, I do not think pellet choice is terribly imp providing you buy good quality and try a few (on paper) and find the one that suits you, your style and your gun.

I rem back in the 70s we all wanted and bought them pointed things. Damned if I can rem their name :hmm: Silver Jet yeeeessss. Posh box-absolute ar$* for all the reasons mentioned above.

Back to H@N quick as we could.

As above earlier...what rifle do you have? Some really prefer a certain type of pellet. People on here will have a solution, probably with choices, but you have to tell us a bit more. HTH.

ok once again i appologise i've been busy and took one post a lil too seriously last night so firstly i must appologise for being a a hole

second question i have a cometa calibre 4.5/ .177 mod 50 now i mean i bout this gun from scats i didn't fancy paying alot of money and i admit it was only £70 and its just the right size i'm in the process of getting a scope for it but money money money lol

so yeah i know realise although some comments come across a lil on the sarcastic side i should just take the advice and take the sarcasim on the chin or just laugh at it .

jim ;)

ah...probably not the most accurte rifle available-time for an upgrade! You obviously have the "bug" so move up. Sell it for what you paid, add another 70 ish to it and ask on here what next. We all started somewhere. It's not you it's the gun. 150 bar will get you into something that will work well. Make you smile. ;)

Edited by christy

Sincerest apologies for my sledgehammer wit in my initial post-my intention was never to be derisive or belittle your shooting ability.Simply put i was merely suggesting that if your gun has the power to kill (say 10.5 +) then you must be missing the vital part of the target-did i see in a further post that you are planning to add a scope?-if you are shooting at a small target over 20 yards away with "iron sights" this might explain a lot-it takes a very good shot to pull this off and maybe the addition of optics will solve your probs?

yeah i kinda guessed it was the gun i'm not the best but have always been medium experience with guns with family being military or ex military so guns and stuff run in the blood lol well for now i'm just gunna keep her and i'll get another at a point when i have more money thanks again for the advice ;):hmm: :look: :hmm::good: jim

bruno its ok m8 like i sai its been a hectic time for me with a college course i'm doing which is pushing me to my limit and also lack of money and other things it all adds up and i was gunna explode and it wasn't just you it was other posts and boom off my top went lol i'm not a angry guy i'm atually quite a nice chap so please dont think bad of me guys it was just a bad day for me . regards jim ;):hmm: :look:

If you shoot a crow side on through the wing you'll end up with a very noisy bird running around on the ground dragging an ijured wing.

Head or front on works for me.

Surely that depends on where the pellet goes after it hits the wing. The wing consists of a small bone and a lot of feathers, neither of which will usually stop a pellet. The upper part of the wing aligns with the chest cavity and it is very likely that the pellet would not stop at the wing, but also enter the chest cavity or damage the sternum both of which would kill or seriously disable the bird.

UKP

Running around flapping = seriously injured. Or of course a you said dead if it goes straight through wing.

No. Running round flapping is slightly injured. Laid on the floor immobile, but not dead, is seriously injured in my opinion. A wing doesn't stop a pellet any more than a pullover would stop a bullet. It's what's behind the wing that counts.

If you shoot a crow side on through the wing you'll end up with a very noisy bird running around on the ground dragging an ijured wing.

Head or front on works for me.

thats what ive always found too although occasionally they dont die straight off but ive found corbits to be really tough **** compared to say pigeon

I always go for the head shot. If you hit the head it's gonna do the job, no question. If you miss then the bird gets away without injury. Wouldn't go for a chest shot as it would bruise the meat on pigeon, and corvids are pretty tough unless a FAC air rifle is being used.

For the record, I use hollopoints in my AA S410.

no need for a new rifle. your local gun shop may tune it at my local they give a full tune/service with replaced parts for about £30. So best pellets are the ones you can group best simple as that. a head shot is obviously best but sometimes thats a bit hard if you dont know range etc. so from behind you can shootem between the wing blades and this will enter the vital organs from the side head shots from the front say 25 yrds away chest and neck. i use BSA interceptors for pigeon and RWS superfield domed pellets for long range rabbits i find interceptors need more holdover at 30yrds than my domed but im using .22. in .177 i have no experiance however in theory an interceptor would be fine for long ranges. An old farmer i i know swears by his bsa scorpion .177 using hollow points upto 60yrds however im not sure his sight and range estimation are all that great. hollow points i would say are your best bets. and a decent scope would also increase your bag! Dont forget to get and air rifle rated scope. good luck.