ORF

jen shooter

Hi Chaps

my 11 month old lab has a sore just above his lip. this is the second time this has appeard i train him in a fild that has sheep in it in the day time .

hes been to the vet and she has given him a coarse of antiobotics . question can a dog contract orf a sheep virus common in sheep and goats it can be transmitted to humans cheers jen shooter

Hi Chaps

my 11 month old lab has a sore just above his lip. this is the second time this has appeard i train him in a fild that has sheep in it in the day time .

hes been to the vet and she has given him a coarse of antiobotics . question can a dog contract orf a sheep virus common in sheep and goats it can be transmitted to humans cheers jen shooter

Hi I'm in a good position to give this advice.

Dogs can indeed contract orf, and so can you from your dog, the vet has made his/her diagnoses and is treating your pooch for a secondary infection, or suspects an infection may occur which is common with orf, as a virus, anitbiotics don't have any effect on.

Generally it will just clear up on its own accord, avoid the spots of infection on your dog and wash your hands after handling him around the muzzle or ears. KEEP YOUR KIDS AWAY (IF YOU HAVE ANY) OR MAKE THEM WASH!!

Bless him, its quite painful for humans from personal experience.

Do you raw feed your dog by any chance?

Kyska

Edited by kyska

Ah the dreaded orf, I have had that on my finger once. It is surprisingly sore, you can see the scab will be a little bit blue. There isn't really an effective treatment I am afraid. I am surprised the vet has given a course of antibiotics as they will have little effect on the orf VIRUS.

However the way I treat it in my sheep is by picking the scab off and spraying with an antibiotic spray ( teramycin), don't think it really does a lot either. I only worry about it in young lambs and on the ewes udder. After a few weeks the scab should drop off, the scab is infectious so if you have kids keep them away from the dog until it has healed up.

The biggest danger is if the scabs start appearing in the dogs mouth and down the throat as it will make it very difficult to eat so keep an eye on that.

Hope that is of help.

Just realised I didn't answer your question, make a good politician I would. Answer is I don't know if dogs can get it but suspect they could.

Kyska got there first.

Edited by badshot

Ah the dreaded orf, I have had that on my finger once. It is surprisingly sore, you can see the scab will be a little bit blue. There isn't really an effective treatment I am afraid. I am surprised the vet has given a course of antibiotics as they will have little effect on the orf VIRUS.

However the way I treat it in my sheep is by picking the scab off and spraying with an antibiotic spray ( teramycin), don't think it really does a lot either. I only worry about it in young lambs and on the ewes udder. After a few weeks the scab should drop off, the scab is infectious so if you have kids keep them away from the dog until it has healed up.

The biggest danger is if the scabs start appearing in the dogs mouth and down the throat as it will make it very difficult to eat so keep an eye on that.

Hope that is of help.

Just realised I didn't answer your question, make a good politician I would. Answer is I don't know if dogs can get it but suspect they could.

Kyska got there first.

Good advice mate, two posts giving the same information!

Orf hurts doesn't it!

Edited by kyska

Thancks for the replys chaps feed him working crunch and some cooked fish twice a week,could there be somthing in raw meat.

i looked on the net and butchers and other people in the sheep trade catch it wil see how it goes over the next week.

my vet charged me £24 FOR THE tablets and her time quite fair i thought cheers jen shooter

Any mammal can catch orf, but the skin needs to be broken to get it. The antibiotics (tablets or spray) are there to prevent secondary bacterial infections, which are very common as the orf damages the top layer and the skin loses it's protection. It's the bacteria on your own skin that cause the infection.