Lanber Sporting Gold deluxe 30"

Thunderbird

I had a Lanber from new for 10 years and it was very good, and never let me down. It only cost me £595 but that was in 1996.

However, for £800 or so, you could get an equally reliable used Beretta or Browning which will depreciate hardly at all if you look after it well, so I would go for that in your shoes. Try before you buy if possible and look at gun fit most critically.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting point about the depreciation (or lack of), I will factor that in. It would certainly be very well looked after.

The Lanber comes with a 5-year warranty but I suppose Berettas or Brownings are pretty cheap for routine maintenance, as they are so mainstream (are they?).

I do quite like the idea of a new gun though, and could probably absorb £300 or so depreciation over 3-4 years for the piece of mind. Mind you £800 was £300 over the top of my initial stated budget, so delicate negotiation with the Powers That Be might have to ensue!!

PS Just noticed you are in Bristol, as am I. Do you ever shoot at Cleeve or Wick St Lawrence?

Edited by Thunderbird

How old was it when you got it for £300?

About 9 or 10 yrs I think, but in good condition from someone who looks after his kit. If I didn't have a thing for fully moderated 20bores it would be the only gun I really need :rolleyes:

I bet it cost about £450 new back then so hasn't depreciated that much and will always be easy to move on :)

I started on a Lanber 20 years ago at the time I loved it. The only problem is as the post above states; most shooters will end up wanting to swap it in for a Beretta, Bowning or Mirok at some point.

It's hard to describe why a quality gun is better, often they just 'feel' better, you will end up having a go with something else then before long the thought of a new gun one will creep in. I have wasted plenty of cash over the years, if you can, go for the entry level quality gun every time.

I am sorry to say a few years ago we have a new Lanber as a club gun it broke down so often we took it back, but it did get hammered. Needless to say the Beretta 686's just keep going?

Good luck.

Big G

I've got a Lanber that's about 20 years old - Bought it 3 years ago for 300, but have spent a fortune repairing both ejectors (both went at different times), safety catch and also had trouble with a double discharge. Bought a Browning Ultra for 800 and the difference is amazing - Build, comfort, ease of use - Actually, everything!!

I still use the Lanber for rough shooting (when it's not in the garage!!), but you can get better bang for your buck

Never under estimate the lanber Golds. The gold deluxe is a superb piece of kit for the money. :rolleyes:

The Lanbers were originally designed for the english shooter with a large input from one of our best ever shots Barry Simpson, who shoots Berettas.

He was not aloud to copy his beloved 68 series, so he got as close as he could for the budget.

I have had one of these and won several high grade shoots with it including a DTL shoot.

Now imported by GMK the Beretta people who won`t have anything to do with rubbish.

I love Beretta's myself but the fact is they are over priced because you pay for the name, new or second hand.

It`s a bit like a Ferrari.

The Browning / Miroku is priced a little better and are just as good.

The Lanber Sporting Gold Deluxe is worth every penny and more compared to some of the more expensive guns out there. :good:

I recommend them to all my pupils with a budget that want a new gun and have never had a complaint yet.

Thanks Coach, I have been advised that if I got a used Beretta (e.g. the 686) for £7-800 it is likely, if looked after properly (which it would be) to lose little if any value, and be a piece of cake to sell. I have also been told that in two or three years I would likely lose £300 or so on the Lanber and that dealers may be reluctant to take it in PX.

On the other hand, I did mount a Lanber in the shop and it felt so much better than a friend's Miroku 38 I shot with the other day. I don't dispute that it's a good gun but there's something not quite right about it for me.

Decisions, decisions...

Gun Fit will do a lot more for your shooting than any name will, whether it be a Lanber, Berreta, Browning, Miroku,what ever.

Also if you intend to keep the gun then it will not matter who made it, as long as your happy and can shoot it well enough.

I used to have a grade 5 Miroku and now also own a Lanber sporting delux - which one do you think i shoot better with???

Edited by monkeymagic1969

• 1 month later...

As already stated gun fit is the far more important point. There's no point in having a beretta that impresses everybody more - but doesn't fit you. You need to try different guns.

I have a Lanber Sporter that I bought new last March for £750. The other factor to remember is that it comes with a 5 year warranty!

Good luck

Steve