NISSAN NAVARA 2.5 TD

DomM

i have one on a 54 plate d22 which i have had since new goes where i want to been places a l200 could not granted have been stuck a couple of times but thats part of the fun what i would say if you buy one is put a good set of tyres on. nice and comfy inside as well which is good if you are using it day to day as well from what i can gather the newer ones are just as good just more power and have more comfort so cant really go wrong mate i say go for it. Any bits needed milner off road are the guys and no what they are talking about.

Honest John's car reviews:-

Reports of catastrophic engine damage, each vehicle requiring a new engine at a

cost of £7,000 each. The damage has occurred between 82,000 and 120,000 miles. All vehicles have been serviced by (various) Nissan dealers to the Nissan service schedule. One large Nissan dealer said "we get two a month". Much more on this at www.knackerednavara.co.uk Fatigue of the upper big end halves in the back two cylinders occurs first. Continued operation would appear to initiate a crack on the big end housing of the connecting rod – again, always in the same place: across the oil hole in the housing. When it lets go it smashes a hole in the side of the block.

Finally 'exposed' on BBC Watchdog 20-10-2008 and mention made of "secret" extended warranty to 5 years and 93k miles. Only affects D22s built before August 2006.

It now seems that Nissan has extended the warranty on pre-06 Navaras and will pay for everything if you persevere. The warranty only works if you have serviced at a Nissan dealer and the mileage is under 90,000. For anyone who has had this problem get onto Nissan Customer Services. They may not roll over straight away, so perseverence may be needed. They have paid for at least one reader's recovery and other costs as well as replacing the engine with a brand new one.

just having a look on insurance on one and it would be within my price range and just wonderd what they are like in general realy e.g repairs, reliability and the rest. alo what are they like offroad?? cheers Dom

A D22 or D40 ?

D22's like a good supply of fresh oil, D40's are far more reliable and extremely well equipped.

:)

Dave B

I have the new shape (D40) navara 07 plate and can say that the D22 was a total dog. :)

So don't touch a D22 (old shape) with a very long barage pole.

The D40 I have seems fine. Being a farmer it is put to the test and beyond.

During the summer I tow a 30ft cut combine bed + trailer unbraked with it. Not sure the total weight, but must be in the order of 3ton or more.

Do loads of offroading and rarely cleaned (oops).

Also towed my boat passengers and loads of luggage to Annecy in france non stop (1000 miles each way). Stopped only for fuel.

Has been a good workhorse so far.

Standard tyres that it comes on are next to useless offroad, so changed then to BF goodrich all terrain.

Nissan dealers in my area are also next to useless and not cheap. So have binned them along with the tyres.

My Navara has one of these hard spray in liners on the load tray and that is one of the best things ever.

You can just lob, chuck drag etc anything around in the load space and you can't tell you've ever been there. Even spilt chemicals, diesel, battery acid and anything nasty like that can just be washed off.

I just wish I had got them to do it on the rear wheel arches when it was new.

I know some of the early D40s had a few issues, but I think the later ones like mine are OK.

Chris

I would agree the d22 is awful both inside & looks.

I have a d40 that i have had from new:

good points:

cumfy roomy cab

Nice seating position

drives well on road

good standard equipment

spray hard bed liner well worth the money

powerful engine, will sit at 80mph all day long.

I have pulled over 3 1/2 tonnes with ease

easy electrical switch between 2 & 4 wheeled drive

look great escpecially in black

Bad points:

ave mpg 27

noisey engine when under load

4x4 sensors need replacing before 3 year old

a bit low to the ground & long for serious offroading

auto wipers have a mind of their own

Nissan dealers are awful to deal as they will not accept any warrenty (in my experiance)

Some have had problems with clutch release bearings

Really bad safety report that the front wheels could be pushed into the drivers foot well even in the slowest of crashes.

Still think i would buy another one though..

Hope this helps? :)

I would agree with Osgoodbyshooter

I drive my hard always (as a diesel should be) (chipped mine to 200hp)

24mpg for me, can get 30mpg or a bit more if I drive like granny (but find this painful for me)

auto wipers are **** and wish they did an option of not having them

Had a crash with the postman's transit a few weeks back and though it might have written the transit off, only £1000 of damage to the navara (includes the labour and parts)

Could hardly tell the damage (except split bumper).

Good flip up seats in back (double cab), have mine up most of the time.

Steering lock good (for a truck of this length)

6 speed gearbox a must.

Probably the quickest pickup truck on the road.

Hiluxes maybe longer lived though (have an excellect reputation for being nearly indestructable), but navara better to live with in every other way. (I reckon)

Would probably buy again. (given what else is available at the moment)

Don't mess about with a nearly new one save your money and buy a late 80's early 90's D21,

Just change the filters and oil and it will last you another 20 or 30 years, The money you will save on not buying a newish one, spend on shooting or a descent holiday, Not on depreciation and the tax man!

The main problem you are going to have is it's hard to find one, they are all being snapped up and shipped off to Africa.

When your half starved, totally skint, and live in a tin shack, you make sure what money you have buys the best, and a D21 for the money doesn't come any better.

They are not buying them to pose or ponce about in, with flashy colored lights and tinted windows.

They are buying them for what they were built for, A strong, solid, value for money, work horse, that will last for ever.

Keep your money or don't borrow it, and get a D21, it will do all the things a new one will, and more. :good:

To carry out the reset carry out the following

Turn ingnition on so all dash lights come on.

Wait 3 seconds

PUMP accelerator pedel 5 times within 5 seconds....

with foot now OFF accelerator wait 7 seconds...

After 7 seconds press and hold down accelerator pedel for 10 seconds...

Atfer 10 seconds the Engine Managment Light will start to flash, at this point remove foot from accelerator.

The Nav is now in diag mode, so let the EML flash for a bit. the press and hold the acclerator pedel down for more than 10 seconds..this will then reset ECU and fuel pump etc......and put them into learning mode.

NOTE: When the EML light is flashing, this is listing possible fault codes... so if you know how to read the fault codes or know the sequences then you can figure out any possible faults with your Nav with out getting the dealer to do it!!

Dave B

To carry out the reset carry out the following

Turn ingnition on so all dash lights come on.

Wait 3 seconds

PUMP accelerator pedel 5 times within 5 seconds....

with foot now OFF accelerator wait 7 seconds...

After 7 seconds press and hold down accelerator pedel for 10 seconds...

Atfer 10 seconds the Engine Managment Light will start to flash, at this point remove foot from accelerator.

The Nav is now in diag mode, so let the EML flash for a bit. the press and hold the acclerator pedel down for more than 10 seconds..this will then reset ECU and fuel pump etc......and put them into learning mode.

NOTE: When the EML light is flashing, this is listing possible fault codes... so if you know how to read the fault codes or know the sequences then you can figure out any possible faults with your Nav with out getting the dealer to do it!!

Dave B

Has anyone had a go with this :D? ;):good:

I have, cured the knocking on accelaration and got 5 mpg more on same daily commute.

It would appear that the 'learning system' should be reset at every service 18,000 miles on a Navara ?

Most dealers are unaware, so the system does not adjust to run in/worn systems.

Dave B

• 2 weeks later...

I work for a garage that look after both d22's and d40's that belong to farm's and get hammered. D22 do have a prob with early 1s as mentioned higher up the post, the oil way is to small and if not well serviced they block up then stick a rod out of the block, other than that its been propshaft uj's which arn't to bad.

D40's are now showing a problem with the clutch's. The clutch is to small and the duel massfly wheels are not strong enough. Nissan have reconised this as a prob and have super seeded these to a normal type flywheel :good: and a bigger clutch kit at the cost of a grand just for the bits :lol::good: (from nissan a bit cheap non oe) but they wont pay for it you have to ! other silly priced thing we have done is a front wheel bearing (which is like a normal volvo type which are priced at £70ish) these's are dealer part only and are £380 plus vat plus fitting :lol::good:

This is on a 08 plate with 50 tho on it.

I do like the d40's tho.

Hope this helps.