A Quick Blast with a .410, some Ferrets, and a longnet.

Bleeh

I got the call saying I wasn't needed for work, so I set about going ferreting (After a good lie in).

Just with the way the day went, I didn't start till about 12'o'clock, so I thought It was best to leave the purse nets at home, and try my best to stick to just the longnet, and a .410 as backup.

I knew it was going to be an interesting day from the moment I was in the car. I don't know if this has ever happened to you, but as I was driving down a B road at a good 60mph, I felt something tickle my leg. My heart skipped a beat, it wasn't aggressive or anything, it's just the last thing you expect to feel as hurtle down the highway in a car by yourself, one of the blooming ferrets had managed to escape and was having the time of his life diving among the detritus in the back of my car.

Anyways, I set up along a bank, and it was one of the wonderful times that you are not ferreting among the the nettles and brambles, so everything was pretty easy.

The plan was quiet simple. Corner of a 50' area with the long net, and shoot anything that doesn't bolt straight into it.

1.jpg

Everything went to plan, but the first bolt of the day was by two rabbits at the same time, one went straight into the longnet, so I left him be as I tried to shoot the other, missing, I paid my attention to the one in the net - only to see the ****** escape!.

The bolts continued, and It wasn't soon till I had a good three netted, but 2 of my 4 working ferrets had laid up, so it was time to dig.

I started digging, and Jesus, this was the thing dreams are made of, the soil was easy and loose - and the warren was only about 1' bellow the ground, it collapsed straight on top on the dead rabbits ****, who was quickly followed by the ferret.

3.jpg

4.jpg

I went to dig the other, but found him wondering about, with all the fur on his feet, he'd obviously had his claws into something.

2.jpg

With all 4 up, it was getting on (about 1.30 at this point) so I thought I'd pick up the longnet, and just drop the two polecats in further along the field.

I dropped them in, and nothing, a good 30 minutes of them scrambling about (as recorded by the ferret finder) but no real laying up, and then it happened. I marked the lay-up position, and picked a no-so happy looking ferret. He had taken quiet a blow to the face (a good rabbit kick I'd guess) and was bleeding a little, so I retired him back to the box and went after the other one.

5.jpg

6.jpg

I started digging for the polecat no2, but wouldn't you know it, he left and I managed to pick him anyhow after about only 2 feet of digging, I was sure there must be a rabbit where I had started to digg earlier, so I continued to dig another 6 inches or so before I broke through. I felt about and felt some rabbit fur. I picked it with my fingers and - oh hell - it was pulling itself deeper. Either this rabbit was alive or something was tugging on the other end.

I had this rabbit right by the tips of my fingers, so I dug them in alittle further and I felt something warm, an gooey - I didn't dare image what my fingers where in so I just pulled till I got the poor so out. It was packed in so tight, the ferrets couldn't get to his head (I think he'd flipped over in the warren or something) and this is what had happend to him.

7.jpg

I'd never encountered anything like that before in all my years, but the sodding ferrets had started eating him alive (but they weren't very hungry). Anyways, glad with the decision to continue digging, which would of otherwise left this poor sod suffering, I decided to pack up and finish the day on a good solid 5. Which wasn't bad for only 2 hours.

8.jpg

You don't, but showing a picture of this unfortunate animal is only going to give antis the ammunition they need to stop you enjoying your sport at all.

A bit of discretion doesn't hurt sometimes and we can still enjoy all the other pics :rolleyes:

have you ever watched friday night TV? :)

• 3 weeks later...
And how do you stop a ferret that is to ground doing what it's bred for

for gods sake stay away from the butchers windows.you might endure some graphic images :lol::yes:

I think you might be better taking up knitting

Bug ger the antis, it can't be helped

theres some proper girls on this site.. :yes:

Let's try once more for the armchair Rambos :oops:

Nobody on here is upset, bothered, sickened, made squeamish, saddened etc etc etc by that photo.

We all know what tough boys you are and yes, we are too, so you can stop puffing your chests out and thumping them. Jesus wept :lol:

The point that is being made is that antis could and would love to get hold of propaganda like that to wave in the faces of mainstream Britain to turn opinion against field sports. Do you get it? No? Oh well :lol:

Edited by Chard

• 2 weeks later...