The balance between a clay gun and a field gun

Big Dog

I have a similar request as that of Browning GTS.

I use a Beretta 682 which is a clay gun. It is a great gun but is heavy, too heavy to carry to the decoying site. I want a lighter gun for the field. I am thinking about a Fabarm L/h semi or something like that, but have not decided yet. A S/S would even be cosidered as I have had great success with them years ago. What I want is something that will work well from a hide, lighter than the 682, low recoil, easy to adjust to and well balanced. I don't think I need to stick to and o/u as nothing will be anything like the 682 as the weight is the issue. So I thought a semi would be good. I have used then in the past; a Remi (hated it) Brownning OK. As the jury is out on the decision has time improved modern semis??

So what is the advice out there?? giev it to me straight :blink:

Also those of you who shoot clays do you have the same 'pitch' on you clay guns as your field, I see quite a bit of rib. (sorry I'm not sure of the proper terminology here) At the breach I could set on a £ coin and I would see the view nail on top. This is new for me as I have always been a point at and shoot type of guy; quite flat. straight along the rib to the view nail.

Today I was coying and I lowered the cheek piece of the 682, there was still a bit of rib showing but I was hitting well. Should you balance the amount of rib showing the same on a clay and field gun or could you have them different without puting you off completely?:lol:?:lol:?

What is the advice out there?? :unsure:

Ps please feel free to put me staight on the teminology :lol:

Hi Big Dog,

I have a Beretta A304 12g Semi-auto and find it very reliable, cycles all cart iv put through it.(EXCEPT 3 INCH MAGNUMS, its only a 2&3/4.)

Most of the Beretta semis are very reliable.

The 391 Urika and Extreamer in Beretta are hard to beet, if i had the dosh, i would be getting one or both in the morning :blink: .

So as semi-autos go, Beretta are the best in my books :unsure: .

How are you getting on with getting your .222?

Have you put in for it yet?

I can say the same for the beretta 304,only have mine a week but have already fired 400+ cartridges at clays at home(getting ready for the ducks this thursday),and not one stoppage.

As for the rib sorry i cant help,ive always been one who watches the target and fires,ive always felt looking down the rib holds me back.As for the £ coin trick setting it at the breech u should see the sighting pip above it as if its floating on it.

Good to hear from you Frank.

I have been expanding wy shooting lands so when I go for the .222 I should have no problems. To be honest I have been really blessed recently with good land. There is a large area close to me which I though would be great to get it to improve my chances of getting the .222 on. I put a little strategy together to target that area. To say it has all falling into place is an understatement. One farmer talked to another, one farmer stop my wife who was showing her parents a nice thacthed roof house. Somehow shooting came up, my wife did her bit, he realise it was me and as I did some shooting for his son he ask her to get me to call. Another farmer saw me with a gun and stopped on the road. Another one saw me setting up decoys and drove into the field I was in to chat and told me to call with him too.

I guess Frank to answer your question in brief "very good" :blink: :lol:

All now I need is the ££££££££££££££££. The new licences system up here is still 5 mth back logged. I have to go for reapplication in Dec so I will wait until them and will then apply for the .222 and a new 12g.

Hope you shooting is going to plan. I had a good day to day decoying crows. Look up Taik from the field "Blackhawk down" Just one story. I also shot 2 other birds that I dont think I am aloud to say on the forum as they have been takening out of my post. Fine. These birds have gone wild and live in a grain store and the health people told the farmer this week he needed to do something about it urgently or else. So I shot 2 as they came out to see what was going on.

Take care M8 :unsure:

What about the 204, did you keep it or sell it?:lol:?:lol:?:lol:?:lol:

Wow, you are a lucky man, with all that permission, great stuff and fair play to ya, looks like that .222 has your name on it :blink: .

I still have my .204, but am trying to convince my local Supt, to give me a .223, hopefully :unsure: .

They are getting licenced down here more and more, so i am trying to get this info threw to my supt, fingers cross. :lol: .

If i do get a .223, then the .204 will have to go, but i dont mind so much, as i went for the .223 in the first place.

Their seems to be so much more ammo avilable for the .223 compared to the .204 and its so much cheaper too, 10 Euro for a box of 20 FMJs, which would be great for the range. :lol: .

looks like im getting a 223 as well not a 222, the rifle which i will most likely get, only comes in 223 and above, stupid if you ask me, but thats life.

at the end of the day theres only 100fps in it and slightly different bullet weight handelling characteristics

you going to hang onto the 204 frank?

once you get rid of something your normally just regret it, and it sounds like a fine round.

edit..... didnt read franks post very well.....seems a shame to get rid fo the 204, i shouldnt think resale value would make it worth getting rid of? or wont plod let you have two centerfires for similar jobs?

Edited by dunganick

Unfortunatly no Nick, my local plod wont let me have two centerfire rifles for the same job :lol: .

It is a bit regretable, as the .204 is deadly out to 400yds, so far :blink: , but i find the Hornady v.max ammo for the .204 quiet explosive at times on shoulder shot foxes. :unsure: and more expensive.

It needs more ammo, like the .223, then it would be ok id say.

Prehaps its the fact that it is a smaller caliber than the .223 with smaller bullets, that makes the difference.

if your looking for something that is not explossive you wont find it in a 222 or 223, they knock the 7 bells out of what ever they touch, but being slightly heavier they tend to expand a bit deeper than the light weight bullets do.

could try and have the 204 put on your ticket as a terget gun just so you can keep it there, then maybe say that you need to do some long range rabbit shooting and the 223 dosent have a flat enough trojectory.

not sure if anything like that would work, sounds like your plod is considerably more mean than ours. :unsure:

looking at a howa varmint, its meant to be very good for the money, which at hte moment is low at they are quite a recent company to this country. its about £590 for their top of the line thumb hole stock laminate H/barrel gun so the gun im looking at is about £450.

the action is a copy of many different action, the reviews say its got bits of winchester mod 70 and and sako and remmy 700. and the groups ive seen them shoot on various web pages leads me to think they are fine rifles. just gota get my hands on one. shame they are like the preverbrial hens teeth round here

good guns, nice barrels, certainly seem to do the buisness, not a fan of the single set trigger but im not sure if there is an option not to have it fitted. i know a man with one who shoots over 150 foxes a year, this is one of his guns of choice and sits next to a sako 75, so it must be pretty good in the field as well.

the only thing i would say is that the price for the model i looked at (the varmint- heavy barrel) was a bit silly, it was well over tikka t3 money.

Also those of you who shoot clays do you have the same 'pitch' on you clay guns as your field, I see quite a bit of rib. (sorry I'm not sure of the proper terminology here) At the breach I could set on a £ coin and I would see the view nail on top. This is new for me as I have always been a point at and shoot type of guy; quite flat. straight along the rib to the view nail.

Today I was coying and I lowered the cheek piece of the 682, there was still a bit of rib showing but I was hitting well. Should you balance the amount of rib showing the same on a clay and field gun or could you have them different without puting you off completely?:blink:?:lol:?

What is the advice out there?? :unsure:

Ps please feel free to put me staight on the teminology :lol:

Looks like the post has gone awry a little , but in answer to your question Big Dog, if i may be so bold , all the shooters ( bar 2 ) i know who shoot field and clay run 2 differing guns ,the differance ,Weight and barrel length , why , exersion, fatigue , ease of use in bush, hides, trees or like terrain.

Going back to clays ,unless your shooting one discipline,like skeet or trap ,

"YOUR" gun would be best set up for an all round use ,where you are able to switch from an incoming flat target , to a hard rocket quatering away bird, or an overhead dropping stone in the pinch of an eye,thats the ability to shoot sporting clays well and with confidence .

All the talk of how much rib or where are the beads supposed to be is an argument that will out last all shooters , each person will set up differant , eyesight and build being to key factors. as an example , if you shoot all rising targets a high rib will work, if the same gun is used on incoming dropping birds you now have a fence post in your hands "it wont work" .

Having a gun fitted will reduce many problems with mount and visual aqusition of target ,but dont forget if you dont point in the right direction you wont hit anything anyway .

A good shooter will have the ability to see a target ,assess speed direction and angle in a confident way that will allow him/her to "move mount and shoot " within the boundries of their capability, experience comes with time and training and practice will improove anyone's bag .

hope its not been to boring and maybe helps a little .

Martin

the last engineer Thanks for that Martin. One small question still remains, or I didn't pick it up right if you have answered it.

If I have 2 guns, clay and field (I'm not sure if I can explain this right) would you recommend the same style of set for both. I have just started shooting my clay gun in a way that in a crossing bird the bird is say 8" above the barrel. I used to shoot in the field with the same bird just covered with the barrel. Because these are 2 extremes I don't want to screw my shooting up on both. I am willing to adjust to anything but want to know what other do.

If I can get a field gun with an adjustable stock then I will play with it until happy but my fear is that i get a gun that can't be adjusted, then I am committed or take a loss.

Big Dog ,I think i know where your coming from :lol: , let me run this by you,and sorry if it bores the snot out of you , remember this "you asked " :P

I shoot a number of differant guns , the majority of my shooting is clay target,of which i shoot 1,000's in competition and 1,000's more for fun every year(a lot more than Nick ) , the field shooting is seasonal at best and can be quite boring for me at times (this will now bring on the cries of "dont do it then" ) I do have the pleasure of shooting over dogs for trainers and a number of good pheasant shoots, the goose and ducks are always there for the picking, i only shoot what i want or need ,not for the hell of it .

the majority of targets shot are smaller than the game birds we seek to down , so without a shadow of a dought, target shooting improoves wing shooting dramaticaly , what we strive to acheive is the ability to repeat the sucssess and lessons learned on the range and take them to the field to improove our bags right , you will find wing shooting is more accomodating in errors of shot placement than targets, and im not be-littleing game shooters in anyway .

as to the gun ,i said b4 there are a number (most that i know ) of shooters that run 2 guns for target and field , the fact is the the target wether feather or clay is shot the same way, you see, you analise, you aproach, and you shoot , what we try to do is to create a memory program that incoperates all we have learned in the efficent "move, mount and shoot " method ,each of us being built and seeing differant will have a variation of the aforesaid but the bare bones are the same all over, what you need to do is the same as everyone else shooting 2 guns ,practice the hell out of it ,simple right ,,,,,, wrong unless both guns are identical your in trouble to start, you need to take both to the range and shoot, take gun "A" your target gun and shoot say 25 birds, small angle, trap style, making a consious effort to record the sight picture when the bird disolves, move to gun "B" try the same obviously there will be a differance as to how the gun comes up and swings ,how you react to the recoil, what you saw and see , this will give you a map of the 2 guns ,now you have to decide which you shoot better and which you shoot the most ,the other gun will need to be tuned in as close as possible , by you or a smith , its not to hard ,it just takes time and patience ,do it in small measures and you will see the gun track in , example a lot of semis now use shims to affect cast off/on drop at heel and so on ,your trying to do the same , do not make the mistake of allowing your subconcious to make the adjustments for you,this will screw you up royaly when you go back to the other gun ,you'l try the same and blow it , get it as close as you can t othe other gun then you can make the small consious checks to clarify the mount, swing or picture your looking for .

I know it sounds long winded ,but trust me it works , of my 2 ultras the gun action and barrels are set and the stocks are now within a whisker of each other ,the 2 guns are one, and shoot the same (used for 90% of shooting ) ,the 425 is close but a little lighter( closer shots quicker swing ) ,the 525 longer heavier (used for longer distance targets ) the semis are a fun gun but i wont marry into them they have there use's .

I hope this made sence ,it did to me anyway :lol: ,good luck with your fitting .

Martin

Big Dog,

I shoot a 682 for clays, and agree it's too damn heavy to lug round the fields all day. So last year a bought a Beretta Ultralite game gun, 28" multichoke barrels.

Both guns set up exactly the same on dry mount (i.e. give me the same site picture). The only problem I had was getting used to the difference in weight in terms of swing speed. Having said that, I was shooting the 682 at clays, and only shooting the Ultralite at game.

After a few visits to the clay club with the Ultralite I eventually got the hang of it, and I now get on with it well.

At 6 1/2 lbs it's great for carrying around the fields.