any mechanic's

bignoel

right i have a daihatsu fourtrak 2.8tdl it started a few months ago i could be driveing around and then stop then go to start again but it then sounds like the battery is dead so a bump and off we go no problem then for months it did it a few times so changed battery drove for a day just started it volts is reading good turned it off and tried to start it again same thing sounds like the battery is drained any ideas guys .

Firstly even though you have changed the battery make sure none of the lead plates inside are damaged if all looks well try the following:-

1. make sure all the connections are clean and well greased dirt and corrosion can stop a charge being returned to the battery :) .

2. if you can get the charging rate checked by your local garage do it this will rule out the alternator :oops: .

3. if the above are ok and all fine you will have to look at a series of things including tracing the wires to make sure there is no rubbing cables that may be shorting out also make sure all the interior and boot lights go off when you lock the car, simple to say i know but one of my mates freelanders was doing a similar thing that was traced to a boot light not going off when parked up and a dodgy battery :good: .

4 If this is happening within an hour and car wont start then i would say you have a dud battery (assuming it was new when fitted) if it was new take it back all Uk batteries carry a 12 month warrenty :oops: .

5. I know it may sound daft but is the car turning over at all or is it just turning over once or twice then no more power :yay::santa:??

6. Finally if the car is not loosing charge within an hour or so look at the starter motor connections you may find that there is mud or dirt built up around the terminals this like the battery can cause the starter to fail if not enough charge is getting through to it to turn it over.

Hope one of the above helps you out if not then the only suggestion i can make is take it to a garage but check these first it may take a little time but it would be alot cheaper to find a simple problem yourself than give it to a garage and have a whopping bill just before xmas.

Good luck 12 guag :hmm: e

check the earth straps are tightened, also might be some crud in the alternator, so if you can check the brushes, can you strip and clean this? does the solenoid dis-engage fully when started? also check leads from the starter motor, has it had some heavy off road use? intermittent electrical faults can be nigh on impossible to find but check and clean everything you can reach.

bit of a slava but if you have a decent set of jump leads with you next time it does it put a lead from the neg terminal on the battrey and clip the other end onto a suitable metal part of the engine making sure of good contacts if that sorts it you have an earthing fault .

remove both ends from original earth leads and give a good clean with sand paper and the surfaces where they bolt to

Edited by hodge911

might just be down to the time of year, cold weather, heater on, lights on, etc. this can exagerate the problem, have your alternator checked as it also sounds like there's not enough charge going back to the battery. A good battery will recoup most of its latent charge over a short period of time, hence it starts after about an hour. It sounds to me that your alternator isn't producing enough charge to run the engine and charge the battery at the same time. :good:

right i have had a look and the earth lead is far from the best the conection onto the battery is full of corrosive greeny dust and wire darkend weak the conection to the engine is corroded to and coverd in s#### could i reconect to another part of engine with a new lead as i can not get to it . i think hope this is it . cheers guys a lot of ideas and appreciated so to speak gives me a lead or to :good:

alright mate

when the vehicle doesnt start check the feeds to the starter motor as it sounds like a poor connection which is a very common problem, clean up the connections to rectify

if the feeds are all ok then it sounds like the starter motor is sticking which means it will need stripping/cleaning to rectify alternatively get reconditioned

right i have had a look and the earth lead is far from the best the conection onto the battery is full of corrosive greeny dust and wire darkend weak the conection to the engine is corroded to and coverd in s#### could i reconect to another part of engine with a new lead as i can not get to it . i think hope this is it . cheers guys a lot of ideas and appreciated so to speak gives me a lead or to :good:

Kettle of boiling water to clean the terminals :oops::good: Yes you can bolt it elsewhere on the engine, make sure it's clean & tight B) free from paint & not insulated :no:

well leads cleaned and battery on it fired up tried it severial times seems ok but will try again tomorrow as it tends to be alright then boom no go so not sure yet but hopeing its ok now .thanks to everyone who surgested all the idea's so if it fails i got a few more leads to try .got a great bargain today at euro parts .diesel filter.air filter.oil filter .cambelt . 2 leads 2 window scrapers all for a grand £65. bargain :D

if the leads get hot where they are attached,there is a resistance there meaning they are not clean or the wires inside the terminal are corroded,and need replacing

If you still have problems then my money would be on the above, either new terminals for the leads or boil out any green ****, dry completely and solder :yes: