Roost shooting

Malc

Well, I'm back from roost shooting and I can report that it was as good as ever. As usual most people got around a dozen, well earned, birds. The unusual thing was the lack of large flocks. Usually we get numerous flocks of several hundred birds throughout the afternoon. Not today, just a few dozen birds maximum, per flock.

Still, it didn't detract from the sport had by all. I was very pleased with some really cracking shots I had. I also managed to pick up all my pigeons except 3 which fell in the river and were swept away.

just got back 93 pigeons 12 crow 4 squirrels and 1 fox between 12 of us kill to shot ratio was rubbish overall due mostly to lack of wind there were 367 shots fired all together. we started at 3:45 finished about 6:00 i had 11 pigeons and a crow for 29 shots. every wood on the estate was covered.  ;)  :)  :(

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I forgot to post last Friday. Still, I've been today and it was better and worse. More pigeons but less guns.

I just cannot understand why people who have an ideal opportunity for some excellent sport, handed to them on a plate, at no cost, will not turn out. I'm sure there are people out there that would bust a gut to get permission to roost shoot on a sporting estate of the quality I'm talking about.

Well, it takes all sorts. Out of approx 50 club members......2 turned out today. it's a good job there was 1 or 2 farm yakkers about to keep the birds moving.

Nevertheless, a good day.

we started at 3:45 finished about 6:00 i had 11 pigeons and a crow for 29 shots. every wood on the estate was covered.

Nice to see you didn't start too early. I get fed up going on roost shoots where they want to start just after dinner (lunch if you're posh). The birds get driven right out of the area and find somewhere quiet before they want to roost. You don't see them again. 4.00 pm is about right for the first shot on the first Saturday in Feb and about 15 mins later each week if you can get everybody to agree.

Then there are those organizers who think they are being clever by waiting a week or two to let everybody else scare to pigeons to their area. Everybody out every Saturday in Feb and stick to it. It's total bag, not individual bags that count!!