Young wood pigeons

sean johnston

Went out yesterday and shot 35 pigeons over barley stubble that had been covered in s##t.What suprised me most was that a good percentage of the birds were juveniles which didn't have the white flashes on the wings.Is anyone else shooting/noticing young birds?

Regards sean.

Sean i think at this time of year they are unlikely to be juveniles, as it would have made them born around xmas. if i am not mistaken even juvenile woodys have wing bars but no neck coller,it could be that they were stockdoves. Whitch by the way are protected. I mat be wrong but i dont think so but i am willing to stand corrected.

Been out today for a while, shot 14.  One of the birds was an immature bird with no white flashes on the neck.  Probably born nov/dec.  Never shot any young birds without the white wing flashes.  I have shot one at the end of febuary that had yellow down still attached to its feathers, poor little chap must have just flown the nest.

i have noticed sean a few young birds about the birds here are a odd colour sort of browny on wings rather than bluey grey and the head is young looking no markings on neck or green an white colar i kept racing pigeons for many years an for almost a year they would not show adult plumage until first malt which they only throw first flight feather within 8 to 10 months depending on time of birth,birds can be aged the same as racers by flight feathers on tips of wing working inwards dager shaped feather to round edge feather count back jan feb mar till round edge will give month of birth it was a way when buying racers to age birds and not normally far out the birds here are about sept to oct hatched

Yes you have all been having young birds, but with the exeption of supergame, no one has posted whether the young birds had wing bars or not i have never seen a young woodie with out them, but am willing to be proved wrong. So what are seans birds that have no wingbars?

The main reason that the woodpigeon is so durable, is it's ability to convert most available food into 'milk' for it's young.

In Britain, woodpigeons have been known to breed in every month of the year and with the mild winters we have had recently........