FIRST FEW SHOTS WITH CZ .223

Frank

Hi everyone. :D

Was at the range this afternoon, with my new .223, after getting the grease and oil out of it last night.

Set up at 50yds to start and bore sighted it.

Fired first shot with remington 55 grain FMJ, hit 4 inches to the right of bull, the bolt was a bit stiff on closing, but id say with use, it will get better.

The triger broke at 4 pounds.

Second shot was touching first, good start. :lol:

After a few clicks left, 2 more shots, bang on.

Got hold of Sako 55 grain, got 2 shots touching each other just above other 2, lovely. :P

Moved out to 100.

Cleaned rifle, then commenced with 55gr FMJ.

Amazing, 3 shots in 1 inch.(just)

Next, Sako again, 3 shots 1 and a half inch, could be better.

Their was a 15mph wind blowing from right to left.

Cleaned once more.

Finished

Happy with results so far.

I only had 2 types of factory ammo to test, but am going to try and get some more to see how it goes.

I was amazed how the FMJ ammo fared a little better.

I will also try and pick a dead calm day, but i was itching to try out the rifle and was very happy with what i got so far. :lol:

I will post pics as soon as i get my digital camera.

Edited by Frank

Good to see a bit of common sense has prevailed Frank, and that you have finally been able to get the rifle/calibre you have always wanted.

Run that barrel in properly though mate, and the groups will tighten up as you go along.

I find that things really do settle in after around 50 rounds have gone through the barrel. But you must make sure that you are removing the copper fouling as you shoot it in, so that you have a beautifully polished bore that won’t pick up excessive copper in the future.

Good luck Frank and congratulations on your new rifle. :P

G.M.

yeh, you should push hte trigger forward, feel a click then the trigger should go off with slightly more pressure than placeing your finger on the trigger

you either love them or you hate them, i know i love the one on my dads old brno in 22 hornet, great for competitions where you dont want any movement as you squeeze the shot off.

Their was a 15mph wind blowing from right to left.

Frank

Really pleased for you ,Happy shooting :P

Incidentley how do you measure cross ,head and tail winds so to speak .I'm experimenting with one of them ballistic programs at the moment (JBM Ballistics)and when your inputting data windage oviously comes into it . :lol::lol:

When i first had my gun and i was experimenting i tried not to get the barrel too warm with constant shooting although when it's your new toy this is very hard to achieve . :D

I focus on the very first shot (when the barrel is cold )when it comes out of the bag ............Oviously once it's zero'd in that is . :D

:)

Cheers Ive

Thanks Ive. :lol:

I measure the wind by a wind ometer. It tells me how fast the wind is. Altough some times its hard to get a proper reading :P .

I let a couple of miniutes go before i fired shots to let the barrel cool down.

Its true what you say though, the first shot counts and when i let the barrel cool down, it hit bull, everytime after a cold barrel.

as its a hunting rifle, not a target one, this is to be expected.

Thanks.

Hi Stuartp.

I have the CZ 527 lux model. Lovey bit of wood :P

Im sorry i have no pics for now, but after me getting the rifle and a ton of ammo ect, i have little change left at present to by a digital camera.

I have a phone camera, but the quality from it is **** to say the least :lol: .

I took some pics with it, but it did not turn out very well.

I should be getting a digital camera within the next 2 weeks, as my work will increase by then. :lol:

I promise then i will have a good pics, with the rifle itself, groups, foxes shot ect.

Guest pigeonbasher

i have the cz 527 in .222 & using sako 50 gr s/p its deadly acurrate, it has the

set trigger, just had my ticket drop on the mat , going to buy .223 & .22 r/f

Thanks for the link Graham, as I am not intending to do any long range stuff, it seems that 1 in 12 will be fine, just means I am better sticking to the lighter loads.

Incidently, my new FLO wants to meet me as we haven't met yet :P so he is coming round on Monday 12th, leaving it a bit tight to get my variation in time for the Midland GF on Saturday :*) we shall see.....

• 2 weeks later...

Over the first hurdle OK, FLO/FEO approved the variation OK and reckons the paperwork <should> be back with me on Friday.

Bought a secondhand Schmidt & Bender 8x56 today - so that just leaves erm umm, oh yes, the gun :*)

Should be looking at one on Friday, if that is a no go I may have to resort to the Middland, or maybe Minsterley.

I will try not be tempted by the secondhand 'bargains' at the fair which are more likey be shot out keepers part exchange guns! :(