my springerdor

teal27

That's as may be, but why jump on someone's case because they call their Springer x Labrador a Springador? And then go spouting off that everyone would know what it is if you just called it a crossbreed?

Because if you saw the dog you'd have a good idea what it was made from, you wouldn't need telling. Look at a lurcher and you formulate its parentage. Same with the 'causy-edge' terriers.

Question for you: What doyou call a Springerdor crossed with another Springerdor?

No? I've no idea either. According to Wiki the name applies only to first crosses from the pedigree parents. And the springerdor is a male springer crossed with a female labrador in the UK. Whereas a labradinger is a femal springer crossed with a male labrador in the UK, or any first cross between a springer and a larador in the States. Weird or what? :good:

Pretentious nonsense!

Why is it only owners of these crosses get hot under the collar when their lack of breed history, health testing and naming of a "breed" is brought into question? And why is it they are, more often than not in my personal experience, inexperienced dog handlers and breeders?

mmmm.... that should light the touch paper :good:

That is assuming that I don't know the parental lines of my dog and he hasnt been scored. As for naming a breed, I think you need to look closer to home for the person with the problem over this, I don't have one.

Sorry Teal, never said what a good looking dog he was, kinda hope this came across in my comments on the type. Good to hear that the training is going well. Sounds like he will make a great companion for days out on the marshes. Has he taken well to water?

Dan

Question for you: What doyou call a Springerdor crossed with another Springerdor?

I had such a dog about 20 years ago and I called it Henry :angry:

As for the breeding of poor old Henry, you could call it whatever you liked. It is of no consiquence.

Technically it would be a mongrel I suppose as the parents were crossbreeds and not pedigree. You could show people a picture and let them decide for themselves as per your suggestion, although they may wrongly assume it to be a Springer x Labrador? Who cares, Henry was a cracking dog and this one looks like he is made from the same batch. Brilliant dog :)

I had such a dog about 20 years ago and I called it Henry :)

:angry: 10/10 Merry Christmas and best wishes to you all regardless of your, or my, dog's breeding. We're alll entitled to our opinion but we all have dogs for the same reason, something I don't readily forget.

• 2 months later...
Because if you saw the dog you'd have a good idea what it was made from, you wouldn't need telling. Look at a lurcher and you formulate its parentage. Same with the 'causy-edge' terriers.

No? I've no idea either. According to Wiki the name applies only to first crosses from the pedigree parents. And the springerdor is a male springer crossed with a female labrador in the UK. Whereas a labradinger is a femal springer crossed with a male labrador in the UK, or any first cross between a springer and a larador in the States. Weird or what? :lol:

Pretentious nonsense!

What do you call a labrador mated with another labrador?

Thats right a labrador.

So a springerdor mated with another springerdor surely would be a springerdor

What do you call a labrador mated with another labrador?

Thats right a labrador.

So a springerdor mated with another springerdor surely would be a springerdor

Not according to my information. Only the first crosses carry the name. When you think about it, the successive generations are more likely to throw all sorts of oddballs and throwbacks to the two original breeds.

Not according to my information. Only the first crosses carry the name. When you think about it, the successive generations are more likely to throw all sorts of oddballs and throwbacks to the two original breeds.

All dogs are cross breeds of one sort or another anyway so what does it matter?

All dogs are cross breeds of one sort or another anyway so what does it matter?

Because the recognised breeds tend to throw pups of some consistency. Crossing two breeds and then breeding from the offspring is likely to throw pups of varying shapes, sizes and temperaments.

at the end of the day it's down to personal preference,if someone would like a pure breed then so be it.if someone think's they are going to get the best of both breeds by crossing them fair enough.can anyone say 100% that they won't?.

my only gripe is that they are crosses and most people breeding these dog's are asking for the same if not more money than the KC breeds

my only gripe is that they are crosses and most people breeding these dog's are asking for the same if not more money than the KC breeds

Because they've cornered the market. Not many owners of pedigree labs and springers will allow cross breeding from their dogs, and as we've already discussed, they don't count second crosses as springadors, so they've jut about got the supply to themselves.

The "springer/lab, springerdor, labradinger!!! Star is doing real good shes had a bit of a break from recals and retrieving just concentrating on the heel work and control so shes going to be ready for september and as shes also a family dog she is superb follows the kids everywhere and loves cuddles from them, i woke up the other morning with her laying on my bed with her head on my pillow, she jumped the stair gate ang sneakly crept upstairs but ive no complaints about her, i couldnt of asked for a better dog, and she will just get better, will post some more pics soon

thanks teal

The "springer/lab, springerdor, labradinger!!! Star is doing real good shes had a bit of a break from recals and retrieving just concentrating on the heel work and control so shes going to be ready for september and as shes also a family dog she is superb follows the kids everywhere and loves cuddles from them, i woke up the other morning with her laying on my bed with her head on my pillow, she jumped the stair gate ang sneakly crept upstairs but ive no complaints about her, i couldnt of asked for a better dog, and she will just get better, will post some more pics soon

thanks teal

Frightenning mate -my wife did exactly the same trick -try finding that on your pillow 1st thing in the morning!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thing i dont understand is someone comments, why call it a springador, just call it a lab x springer so we know what is it. Does this not suggest that he know exactly what it is and is just being pretentious about it.

My cousins Springer bitch just had 9 springador pups 1 bitch, 8 dogs and they look like great little dogs. Id have had the bitch but its the wrong time for me because im at uni, all the best with yours tho.

post-24219-1283545022.jpg

post-24219-1283545290.jpg

post-24219-1283545448.jpg

Edited by hutley1212

• 5 years later...

Actually there's not such a thing as a pure breed dog if you go back far enough all canines that walk the earth today are believed to originate from the first fall wolves, when it is believed the gene pole split into 2 one lead to all dogs including still wild ones and the other lead to the modern grey wolf which is a much smaller wolf than its predisessor,canines are carnivores and all shear the same gene pole think about it how long has a labrador been called a labrador not long as it's a made up name by humans, where did the first labrador come from obviously not a labrador if it's the first one looking at it that way maybe one day springadors will be pure breeds if you put a springador dog over a springador bitch who really knows,I train gundogs and have had labs,springers,and am now training a springador and she's one of the best I've ever had ..