Non Toxic Shot

ChrisNicholls

I need some advice on cartridges with non toxic shot.

The shoot I have just joined releases a few ducks which usually fly very well, there is also three flight ponds used for evening flighting. I will have to use non toxic shot for these. I have had no experience of these as I usually only shoot gamebirds and pigeons, can anybody recommend a cartridge suitable for inland duck shooting?

I have heard from the other guns that tungsten matrix are good but very expensive.

Should add that I use an AYA sidelock with 2 3/4" chambers.

Edited by ChrisNicholls

All non toxic shot is quite expensive these days. Looking at £1 per shot. Express hevi shot is good and comes in a variety of shot sizes. Just bought 400 tin Hull game flight magnum for £12.50. Not normally that cheap but does the job on the donalds.

Hope this helps

Jon

Before you use steel make sure your barrels are proofed for it, if not try Eley Forest Bismouth they're more expensive than steel (about £20 for 25) but very effective. One thing to remember always go at least one shot size bigger than you normally would.

Good Shooting

TIN IS ******** don`t use it.I was using it before the ban in England and Wales and I can tell you that if I had hit them with lead 5`s they would have been dead,I hit several duck with 34gm magnum 3`s and the one that sticks in my mind is a teal at 25yds that had a broken skull two broken legs and a broken wing it was still very much alive! When I got it home and plucked it it was badly bruised but I couldn`t find any shot in the body. IMO it is not suitable for duck,unless you think that a wounded duck is worth the price of a slightly cheaper cartridge.

use bismuth or ITM they retail,by the box of 25,about £17 not £1 a pop and hit hard and will not scratch the barrels.

I was give a box of Hull 3" magnum tin 1's last year. They were so **** I ended up using them on brancher Rook and even then they struggled to kill some at 30 yards!

Mark.

PS,

I'm on a few wildfowling forums and whenever a poll for prefered non-tox alternatives comes up Tin always comes last.

Edited by M ROBSON