What tyres are getting your vehicle round your shoots ?

Salop Matt

Myself and silver pigeon are looking at getting a Suzuki Jimny as we havent won the lottery to buy and keep a defender or bigger 4x4. But I will be wanting to use it off road, by that I mean on stubble all year round wet and dry, muddy lanes round the feilds and driving in snow when it comes the once or twice a year !

I looked at BF goodrich but they are way to expensive and AT`s would not last as most of the vehicles work will be road !

I looked for some designed for both road and off road and found: 90% road 10%off, and the others were 50/50 :lol:

I cant decide if the road would eat the 50/50`s and produce alot of road noise but at the same time would the 10% off roaders be upto getting me round ?

Also what is the brand of your tyres ?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any replys ! :rolleyes:

Ok your best bet would be BFG AT/S as for use well they don't last long if 50K miles a set is not lasting well :rolleyes: That said they are relatively expensive so firstly look on that auction site and see what you can get as there are usually plenty of sets on there usually on the right wheels as well. I've a set of BFG track edge tyres on my L200 which are between AT's and MT's good on road and off but sadly not made anymore I got the set with hardly any wear on for £85 so a bargain even if I had to put them on my wheels. Road noise isn't significant but sadly they aren't made any more. in your situation if you don't want to go to the expense of BFG's have a look for some of the companies copying the AT pattern usually remoulds but if its for a shooting buss won't matter. They don't last as long as the real thing and economy drops a little but they are fine on a shooting vehicle.

Road only tyres are naff all use off road and you will regret buying them even if you don't go off road much.

Am trying desperately to find somthing that comes in at around £250 for 4 but not looking likely !

Best iv found now is : Continental ContiCrossContact AT 205/70 R15 96T with raised rim rib, BSW

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?deta...&sowigan=So

£73.80 each delivered ( a can get them fitted for free)

but still searching and hoping for a lotto win at the same time !

http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/quotation/results.php have a little look at these which are fitted prices, the problem with buying tyres off the net is the charge to fit and balance them, everyone has in theory a fitter who will do it for peanuts but certainly not round me its close to £15 a tyre to fit and balance them. Though had I read your post I'd have worked out that it didn't matter :lol:

Look at those closer as well because they're listed as summer tyres which is a bit odd for an AT tyre

Edited by al4x

I use bfg all terain for summer use and then i change to the new bfg mud terain for winter use. As for wear they just dont seem to go down i got 60 thousand out my last all terains well worth the extra.

:lol: IF any body wants a set of part worn 235 75 16 i have a set i think they have about 6-8 mm on them if my memory serves me right just want a drink for them

TYRES NOW GONE

Edited by crouch valley

If you are looking for something cheap, depending what you want I'd recomend the insa turbos, probably the AT or the track edge style. I put 4 greenway MT tyres on my Range rover in 215 / 85 R16 , the tyres were 200 pounds and i paid 28 to have them fitted and balanced I think. They are quite noisy on the road, but certainly not too bad. I drove one or two 400 mile trips in it and had no problems with excessive noise.

As has been said, anything with too much of a road bias will be severely limiting on muddy / slick ground.

i have had a set of colway A/T on my sportrak for 3 years and there worn down to around 8mm they have taken us from crawley west sussex to cornwall (two week break) they have been through mud water snow ice and have never let me down...if i remember a set fitted cost me £215.....these here are the same A/T tread true there remoulds but pund for pound i will guy them again

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or if you want some thing a bit more GNARLEY

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT