62 goose shooting

shooter1976

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont even think any wildfowler or even the person who shot these would regard the Canada goose as a wildfowling species thereby putting it in the same class as truly wild geese which take skill and dedication to shoot even one or two. Anyone that considers these as true wildfowl cannot call themselves a wildfolwer. I am supprised people keep likening this too wildfowling, it is most likely pest control of a vermin species.

On a side note, i wonder how many people eat large bags of crows or jackdaws shot as pests? Which hedge do they end up in, again this is pest contol and therefore no different just because they are geese.

And it is not as easy as shooting a few and pushing them on to other land, i know a farmer who constantly shoots at large flocks which bother his fields, only to have them fly 20 yards before landing again.

It has to be accepted that Canada geese can be a great pest in some circumstances and it is only by large culls that the damage they cause is reduced. Canadas are a growing population in the uk, and have very few natural preditors.

Henry perhaps you do not regard canadas as true wildfowl , But i can tell you there are very many southern fowlers who do. Though nationaly canadas are still increasing the Norfolk flocks are declining at an alarming rate. 30 years ago we had 3,000 plus , today our county numbers barely top the thousand mark. They have disapeared from many of my local lakes. Pinks and greylags are very common around me but I am lucky if i shoot one canada every 3-4 years and i do a lot of wildfowling.

As for being a pest I have lived on the Norfolk marshes for over 50 years and apart from mid summer when flocks are flightless and they walk off the water to ajacent corn crops I have seen little dammage caused by canadas. In my area they mainly feed on grass , stubbles and harvested root crop remains. The main problem seems to be the **** they leave scattered over the grass in public parks. It was a sad day when canadas were put on the pest list. A another major factor in them gaining pest status is Natural Englands efforts to remove non native species from the UK countryside.

Edited by anser2

"On a side note, i wonder how many people eat large bags of crows or jackdaws shot as pests? Which hedge do they end up in, again this is pest contol and therefore no different just because they are geese."

Now some are showing their true understanding of shooting and countryside matters, :good:

Would you realy eat crows ?

As for the white swan \ goose. It has a red bill and unless the colour filter is wrong on your camera that points to a swan. Domestic greylag have orange bills. What shells were used , if it was non toxic you had a very expensive day.

One important fact the UK population of Canadas is between 65 and 70 thousand geese , not 650,000 as has been quoted.

According the the RSPB the estimated numbers in the UK are 82,550 adults, so your FACT could be wrong too.

And I dont think anyone's eyes are good enough to distinguish the exact colour of the white goose / swan's beak :good:

Edited by chrispti

Henry perhaps you do not regard canadas as true wildfowl , But i can tell you there are very many southern fowlers who do. Though nationaly canadas are still increasing the Norfolk flocks are declining at an alarming rate. 30 years ago we had 3,000 plus , today our county numbers barely top the thousand mark. They have disapeared from many of my local lakes. Pinks and greylags are very common around me but I am lucky if i shoot one canada every 3-4 years and i do a lot of wildfowling.

As for being a pest I have lived on the Norfolk marshes for over 50 years and apart from mid summer when flocks are flightless and they walk off the water to ajacent corn crops I have seen little dammage caused by canadas. In my area they mainly feed on grass , stubbles and harvested root crop remains. The main problem seems to be the **** they leave scattered over the grass in public parks. It was a sad day when canadas were put on the pest list. A another major factor in them gaining pest status is Natural Englands efforts to remove non native species from the UK countryside.

I did say in certain circumstances they need to be culled in these quantities. And i am glad to hear they are declining in some areas, they shouldnt be here in the first place. Would you be worrying if Grey squirrels started declining?

"On a side note, i wonder how many people eat large bags of crows or jackdaws shot as pests? Which hedge do they end up in, again this is pest contol and therefore no different just because they are geese."

Now some are showing their true understanding of shooting and countryside matters, :good:

Would you realy eat crows ?

Well if the are being shot as a pest and so are these geese, its no different is it. However i personally do eat everything i shoot, with the exception of corvids. I was making the point that if the person who shot these said 'no im throwing them in a ditch', its not really all that different than shooting 60 crows and doing the same. Both are vermin and shot to prevent damage as a primarly objective. You are not allowed to shoot vermin with the sole purpose of eating it under the general licence. It is shot to prevent damage.

all you men slaggin this guy off..get a grip..u praise guys who put up pics of folk who shoot several foxes in one night..but i have never heard of any of you braggin how good foxes taste..its just another form of pest controll..and a pretty effective one at that!!!!

henry c you are a fool just because they are classed as a pest does this mean with permission you would go down your local park/ river where ever and shoot canadas in the middle of summer while they are feeding goslings its this attitude that give shooters a bad name as said in previous post one of the main reasons they were put on the general license was due to problems caused in public parks also if you have no valid reason to shoot any quarry on the general license ie to prevent crop damage then you are still breaking the law

Edited by bjlfishing

"Well if the are being shot as a pest and so are these geese, its no different is it"

erm yes it is, geese can be eaten, corvids, well if was at the point of starvation then yes,

under normal circumstances no,

Also i dont think canada geese are classed as "vermin" they are still geese, which come under the general licence.

henry c you are a fool just because they are classed as a pest does this mean with permission you would go down your local park/ river where ever and shoot canadas in the middle of summer while they are feeding goslings its this attitude that give shooters a bad name as said in previous post one of the main reasons they were put on the general license was due to problems caused in public parks also if you have no valid reason to shoot any quarry on the general license ie to prevent crop damage then you are still breaking the law

forgive me iv i am wrong..but are we not in the middle of a very harsh winter??? so i shudnt think therel be many goslings about!!! :good:

How am i a fool? i never said anything about killing goslings or specified a time of year, youve just added this for a cheap stab. This is vermin control in the middle of winter, the birds are all fully grown at this time of year. However I know most pigeon shooters do not give up the shooting through summer, leaving starving birds in the nest. Many would consider this a good time to shoot them as with crows, magpies and all other vermin. I also wonder how many keepers would care if a mother fox was shot while she had young in her den?

You seem to think I just want to kill loads of geese, when all ive said is that in certain circumstances where they are causeing a problem, large numbers do need to be shot. I have not said i would go and shoot 60 geese for a laugh. But if in this case they were battering crops, then i can sympathise with the person who shot them. you do not know if the shooter had a valid reason or not.

If they are not causing a problem a more sensible bag limit should be set as with all shooting. You have to realise this is an artificial population of a non- native species which can be a very bad pest.

Henry, you seem to be selective in your choice of undesirable species that need eradicating. Canada geese and squirrels yes, no mention of pheasants or partridges though? Just as alien, more desirable?

I am not saying they should all be eradicated, just that if they were to dissapear tomorrow it would not be a loss to the eco-system of the uk. Pheasants and partridges are a different matter. They are not a pest, in terms of damage, in the way that geese or indeed grey squirrels are. I do however frown upon shooting a large ammount of gamebirds in a day only to take home a brace, regardless of what happens to the rest of the birds. However that is somthing which very few will agree on im sure.

Edited by henry c

I think the bloke shot a load of geese on the continent somewhere where they might be the equivelent pest to our pigeons...?

I went to Friesland in Holland recently to buy cattle, we set off from a hotel in Rotterdam at 430 am and saw the dawn as we were driving up north, there were so many skeins of geese flying around i took several photos to show my shooting buddy, as we had spent the whole previous weekend shooting geese, ending up with one each and being very proud!!

Where we were in Holland there wasnt a field without geese on it and you couldnt see a chunk of sky that didnt have one or several big v's!

SP

I am not saying they should all be eradicated, just that if they were to dissapear tomorrow it would not be a loss to the eco-system of the uk. Pheasants and partridges are a different matter. They are not a pest, in terms of damage, in the way that geese or indeed grey squirrels are. I do however frown upon shooting a large ammount of gamebirds in a day only to take home a brace, regardless of what happens to the rest of the birds. However that is somthing which very few will agree on im sure.

the main reason grey squirrels are considered a pest is due to the fact that they carry squirrel pox which will wipe out or native population of reds if greys are not killed. Pheasant and partridges are non native and anyone who says introducing large numbers of game birds does not have a effect on the enviroment know nothing about the countryside only through land managers / keepers are these artifically manufactured enviroments able to work without having a detrimental affect on our country side, game birds are commercially farmed for our sport but its buisness and big buisness at that the cost of commercial game shooting is frightening, regardless of your oppinions all shot game goes into the food chain as it can be sold legally game is a quarry species and not on the general licence like canada geese ,there is absolutly no need to shoot obscene numbers of geese with the guise of crop protection if they are causing problems then two or three goes shooting them on a certain field will be enough to move them on .You say that you have no desire to see the canada goose erradicated but if the figure for goose numbers ids around 82 thousand and everyone who shoots live quarry is out shooting 60 plus geese a day it wont be long before they are gone. Also im a ex keeper on a commercial pheasant shoot and i find shooting large numbers of pheasants wrong and liken it to shooting feathered clays for me if youy carnt remember every bird you shot then its just target practice but each to there own

Edited by bjlfishing

This is boring now, and to be honest its going off the point, if a small ammount of shooting would of cleared them off then the person wouldnt of been able to kill so many would he? They wouldnt of kept coming back to the field, if this ammount of geese were coming to a field then there was clearly something on it worth eating, be it crops or even just grazing. And if this person shot 60 then there must of been hundreds, therefore if i fail to see how anyone that knows anything about geese can say that hundreds of geese in a field cannot cause damage to it.

The only point i was trying to make was that in certain circumstances there is justification for large ammounts of Canada geese to be shot, where they are causing great damage to farmland. I have repeated this countless times, and you still dont seem to have grasped it. I am merely putting my oppinion on a forum. And speaking from expreience re. the damage Canada geese can cause.

This turned into accusations that i want to go around killing goslings and reccomending everyone shoots 60 a day. If they are causeing a serious problem i would reccomend as many are shot as to remove the problem as with all vermin, be it pigeons, crows or magpies etc. However where they are not a problem, taking one or two for the table will not hurt.

As for pheasant shooting, I feel this is off topic or the thread, and therefore if you wish to discuss this further, feel free to PM me, and i will be happy to discuss it with you.

For a start you can sell pigeons so most of them end up in the food chain. It is down right ******* irrespponsible to shoot that many geese, including the white one.

8 Hunters shooting large bag pheasant days also go to the game dealer and go on to be eaten. Those geese will end up rotting and being thrown away as there is too many to get through, even handing them out to friends and neighbours.

That is ******* ******** and the poster of these pictures ought to be ashamed, complete total and utter *****.

I am afraid Olsen you haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

Wildfowlers my ****, more like slaughter because they can and they think its clever, well sonny it ain't

Im not argueing with you MC just wondering something. You say its ok to shoot that many pigeon or pheasant because they go to a game dealer ( I agree this is good ) But why couldn't you take these geese to a game dealer ? Surely he would buy them ? Espec with Xmas so close ? :good: