62 goose shooting

shooter1976

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks way too small to be a Swan to me but still, i'm glad to say i'm happy to shoot the odd duck or Goose......pleased to be out there if I shoot nowt as well, which is often. That pic' doesn't sit right with me.

Would I shoot that many if I could?............absolutely not!

Used to shoot a lot on the Solway a long time ago, & loved it.....just being there at the crack of dawn, the marsh waking up, all the birds bringing it to life, an experience on it's own, something you'll never forget, the memories linger on.

I was happy to come home just with the thoughts of the trip, even if I didn't get a shot off, the sounds of the geese ringing in my ears.......bringing a Goose home was a bonus, & it was the cherry on the cake.

Goose Fever does exist.

Then when you see pictures like in this thread.......!!!!!!!!!!!

BJ.

Why the **** is it sooooo wrong to shoot many geese in one day :good:

To shoot between 100 and 200 pigeons in a day then your a hero, thats ********......

Is it just because you dont have any chance to hunt geese or why is it soooooo bad :lol:???

Is it better when 8 hunters shoot 600 phesant in one day :lol:?

Is thats hunting :lol:?

To shoot so many geese is not easy and you need to know a lot about them if you want a good bag......

But please tell me the different between geese and pigeons, when we talk about shooting in one day.

And its normal to see mostly white greylag geese and its not a swan, its much to small.....

Olsen

Im not saying i would shoot this many geese in one day as one takes me long enough to prepare!

BUT.... with the exception of the white one, which is a bit weird. They are Canada Geese not wild Graylag, Pinks or Whitefronts (entirely different populations and species). These are not a native species, they are on the vermin list for good reason, they can be a huge pest on farm land where large flocks can flatten and spoil what crops they dont eat. They also stagnate the soil with the oily droppings.

In these circumstances i can support the shooting of as many geese as possible to prevent the problem. I think many of the goose shooting views here are more with wild geese in mind and not Feral Canada Geese.

As long as these were not wasted then I can see no problem with culling this vermin species.

Why the **** is it sooooo wrong to shoot many geese in one day :good:

To shoot between 100 and 200 pigeons in a day then your a hero, thats ********.....

Is it just because you dont have any chance to hunt geese or why is it soooooo bad :lol:???

Is it better when 8 hunters shoot 600 phesant in one day :lol:?

Is thats hunting :lol:?

To shoot so many geese is not easy and you need to know a lot about them if you want a good bag......

But please tell me the different between geese and pigeons, when we talk about shooting in one day.

And its normal to see mostly white greylag geese and its not a swan, its much to small.....

Olsen

For a start you can sell pigeons so most of them end up in the food chain. It is down right ******* irrespponsible to shoot that many geese, including the white one.

8 Hunters shooting large bag pheasant days also go to the game dealer and go on to be eaten. Those geese will end up rotting and being thrown away as there is too many to get through, even handing them out to friends and neighbours.

That is ******* ******** and the poster of these pictures ought to be ashamed, complete total and utter *****.

I am afraid Olsen you haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

Wildfowlers my ****, more like slaughter because they can and they think its clever, well sonny it ain't

Out of curiosity, what non toxic shot did you use?

Just a thought. The woodpigeon will breed all year round and is an incredibly adaptable bird. I have seen varying estimates as to the numbers of the UK population, but they run into millions.

Give or take a few thousand, the canada goose population numbers around 650,000. Just because it`s quarry status has been altered so that it can be killed out of season without a lot of paperwork, it doesn`t mean you HAVE to butcher them in industrial quantities.

For me, your ignorance of sporting ethics and complete lack of self restraint is quite disturbing. Having done it once and ignorantly boasted about it, I sincerely hope that you now realise how unpopular and potentially damaging to the sport of shooting your actions were.

Many of us would be grateful if you did`nt do it again.

Im not saying i would shoot this many geese in one day as one takes me long enough to prepare!

BUT.... with the exception of the white one, which is a bit weird. They are Canada Geese not wild Graylag, Pinks or Whitefronts (entirely different populations and species). These are not a native species, they are on the vermin list for good reason, they can be a huge pest on farm land where large flocks can flatten and spoil what crops they dont eat. They also stagnate the soil with the oily droppings.

In these circumstances i can support the shooting of as many geese as possible to prevent the problem. I think many of the goose shooting views here are more with wild geese in mind and not Feral Canada Geese.

As long as these were not wasted then I can see no problem with culling this vermin species.

Canada geese are not "FERAL" as you put it, their status has been changed and they are on the general licence. In my area there is many more greylag than there is canadas.

Are the pinkfoot or whitefronts "Native"? Are they any different to the canadas? They are migratory and not native.

Wood pigeons/rabbits and game can be sold to game dealers, if you have shot more than you can eat or give away then game dealers will buy them, the money made from the sale of pigeons will go towards your cartridge bill,

The money made from the sale of "surplus" pheasants/partridge etc (once the birds have been shared out between guns and beaters) to the game dealer will go towards paying the beaters and shoot running costs.

Wild geese cannot "legaly" be sold, so what will happen to all these shot birds ?

That is the part most people have the issues with, they were shot only to be thrown away ?

I hope this helps you to understand why most people find this un-acceptable.

Blaser your thoughts sicken me. Yes i my self have shot 200 pigeon but they have all legally gone into the food chain via the game dealer. And yes i keeper a shoot where i rear birds o be shot but they all get tacken by the guns and beaters for consumption any left over go to the game dealer yet again legally. Where are you going to find homes for 60 wild geese as other people have pointed out it is ilegal to sell them and game dealers carnt take them from you so if you can justify that you are no sportsman and people like your self are going to kill our sport.

Canada geese are not "FERAL" as you put it, their status has been changed and they are on the general licence. In my area there is many more greylag than there is canadas.

Are the pinkfoot or whitefronts "Native"? Are they any different to the canadas? They are migratory and not native.

They are not a native species and therefore are technically feral, as are Feral Graylag

Pinkfeet, Whitefronts and true migratory Graylags are very different to Canadas. Canadas are here all year round and therefore the damage they cause is amplified, the population is rapidly expanding and there are few natural preditors in the UK. Therefore I for one see them in a very different light to true wild migratory geese and i would be far more resistant to slaugher of these in such numbers, however these too can be a great agricultural pest.

I did however say in my post that i would not shoot more than i could eat, and for all everyone knows this chap could have tables for the birds.

not saying its right or wrong put yourself in this situation the farmer whos land you shoot on says get rid of those bleeding geese you advise him that shooting that larger number is frowned upon his reply is if you dont do it then ****** off and i'll get someone else to do it!

what would you do?

this maybe your only permission

maybe have fac approved to use on there

so you tell him fine get someone else in then you have no permission do reason for fac

just a thought

Here we can sell all the geese we want so no problem......

I can get them done and sell them or sell them as they are.....

So you just shoot your pigeons and I shoot my geese, and I shoot all I can......

Sorry that you dont like it, thats your problem......

The story about thay all end in a hole in the ground is the worst I have heard :good:

Olsen

not saying its right or wrong put yourself in this situation the farmer whos land you shoot on says get rid of those bleeding geese you advise him that shooting that larger number is frowned upon his reply is if you dont do it then ****** off and i'll get someone else to do it!

what would you do?

this maybe your only permission

maybe have fac approved to use on there

so you tell him fine get someone else in then you have no permission do reason for fac

just a thought

But would you then take pics and put them on a forum :good:

"The story about thay all end in a hole in the ground is the worst I have heard :good: "

So what will happen to these birds since they canot be sold ?

I tried to give you a polite explanation as to why it is not acceptable to kill this many in one go,,

it appears to have been a waste of time trying to educate you.

To start with Blaser you are breaking the law if you are selling wild geese ( and that includes feral canadas ). The law is there to remove the excuse of excessive bags. Looking at your other post i see Blaser you are not shooting in the UK so i stand corrected its in the UK where its against the law to sell wild geese.

Secondly any true wildfowler will tell you the ethics of shooting geese are very different from pest control pigeons and even then I would not shoot any pigeons that I could not eat or sell. canadas were mainly put on the pest list to allow control in situations where shotguns cannot be used such as public parks where they can be rounded up when they are flightless in the summer. yes they do cause some dammage to crops , but can usualy be moved on after a couple of modest bags have been taken. A guy local to me shot 34 and 17 canadas off a regulary used farm in 2 shoots 10 years ago and the geese have never returned. Though in the original post there is no mention of the birds doing any crop dammage.

64 geese of any sort is going a bit over the top on a single flight.

Edited by anser2

Here we can sell all the geese we want so no problem......

I can get them done and sell them or sell them as they are.....

So you just shoot your pigeons and I shoot my geese, and I shoot all I can......

Sorry that you dont like it, thats your problem......

The story about thay all end in a hole in the ground is the worst I have heard :good:

Olsen

im afraid olsen geese being left to rot in the uk is a fairly comon occurance as they carnt be sold legally ,as said in previous posts you shoot large numbers of whitefronts and greylags but if you times the total number of geese you shoot then times it by the total number of shooters and they shoot the same amount of geese as you then how long do you think the wild population of geese will last not long .Eight guns shooting 600 pheasants is not anywhere near the same as shooting wild birds pheasants on large estates are commercially farmed to be shot and will always go into the food chain the uk population of canada geese is around 650000 compared to the numbers of woodpigeon it is estimated that upto 2.5 million are shot each year in the uk (anyone correct me if im wrong )and the population is still increasing and these birds also go into the food chain but beside this in the uk it is not the done thing to shoot large numbers of geese even if they are doing crop damage shooting two on a field will cause the geese to move on to new ground without slaughtering them

Gents,

I think a few people have jumped to conclusions, this person may be able to get rid of these fairly easily....especially at this time of year when people are looking for something "unusual" to put on the table.

To slate him on a forum is just wrong before he has a chance to explain the situation.

As for the white swan \ goose. It has a red bill and unless the colour filter is wrong on your camera that points to a swan. Domestic greylag have orange bills. What shells were used , if it was non toxic you had a very expensive day.

One important fact the UK population of Canadas is between 65 and 70 thousand geese , not 650,000 as has been quoted.

Edited by anser2