Laws on setting up a personal clay shoot

joeainscow

Hi,

I've searched the forum for any similar posts but couldn't find any. My apologies if i'm repeating one. I go out every now and then with my brother when i'm back from Uni with my clay trap. I must admit i've never much thought about the laws of doing this. I just make sure there's no public footpath in front of me and that there's a clear line of sight all around so that if any walkers where to come by we'd be able to see them before they got into any danger. Are there any specific requirements for setting up a clay trap in a field? This new years day i'm organizing a mini clay pigeon competition for my family and close friends. Due to there being quite a few people there it may attract some attention so i want to make sure everything is above board. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

You need to look into whether they all have certificates....dunno how plod would look at it if they were called and a load of people without certs were shooting,

then again these country fairs have a come and try stand :look:

the CPSA insurance states you need 300 meters/yards fall out for shot

if its not easily accessable for the public then i would say just be careful safety wise (dunno if they have all shot before) and go for it.....a safety brief before you start wouldnt hurt anyway....

you never said if its your land or just a permission.....if its just a permission then a word with the farmer should be on top of your list....

Good luck

shaun

Just a point that as the organiser, you would be responsible for everyones Health and Safety, regardless of if it's shooting or not any one who organises functions etc are held responsible and should know the laws and undertake a health and safety assesment prior to the function ect.

Edited by ChrisAsh

Its my grandads land. The problem is there isn't actually a spot where a single track lane or public footpath are within a 300 meter distance of a potential site. Is it 300m in any direction or just the direction your shooting. Could i set up the trap with a public footpath say 100m to the back of us? If i broke any of the distance rules could i potentially get into a lot of trouble? Sorry for all the questions.

At a young farmers social i went to, so long as one person has a license and is in direct supervision of the person shooting then it's ok. Is this true?

Joe

The CPSA's recommended Exclusion Zone is 275m in the direction of fire, for shot sizes 6+, but for 8+ it is 250m, ( not 300m as suggested by others, it is 300yds = 275m for registered competition and CPSA affiliated clubs unless there is an approved 8+ only shot size rule at the ground). This is based on the Cranfield University report on shot distance fallout.

A shoot can be as close as it likes to a footpath etc behind it, although th e Highways act does not allow a fire-arm to be discharged in a way as to alarm within 50ft of a public highway.

Noise guidelines are set by CIEH at 65db A weighted fast at the nearest noise sensitive point, that may be housing, or public thoroughfares. Noise complaints are responsible for closing more shoots than any other reason. Always make sure every-one in the neighbourhood is informed you are going to shoot, where and when. Prior knowledge defuses many potential complainants - if people know in advance of the activity they are likely to be much more tolerant.

All shooters must be SGC holders UNLESS you have a Section 11(6) exception from the police OR, section 11(5) of the fire-arms act applies.

You need to consider insurance, are all shooters insured? Who is liable if there is an accident?

If there are novices, are the supervisors competent or qualified? Note, personal shooting insurance does not cover a person coaching, or the pupil - professional indemnity insurance is needed.

The CPSA has several guideline booklets in .pdf format you can download and get further detail on these points

www.cpsa.co.uk

Edited by clayman

Cheers everyone for the advice especially "clayman". Ive found an ideal spot and put in an application for the 11 (6) its free btw and lasts for 3 years. The problem is it takes up to 3 weeks to com through. I've decided tht the best way to run it legally is to just take two people up at a time on the quad have them shoot under my direct supervision then have my brother run them back and bring up two more. I am right in thinking people can shoot who don't hold a license under my direct supervision?

Joe

I am right in thinking people can shoot who don't hold a license under my direct supervision?

Will your Grandad be present? I have a feeling, but will be gladly corrected if wrong, that the wording of the law states that it's ok as long as the land owner is present. I'm not entirely sure how this dispensation is delegated to you if he's not present.

And, as has been said, you need to be very, very careful of the numbers of unlicensed shooters. This is the main reason I gave up doing this sort of thing. An invitation to a few select friends and family was interpreted as an open invitation to all their friends/family/kids/dogs too.

It's only those people with licenses that can lose them.

Cheers everyone for the advice especially "clayman". Ive found an ideal spot and put in an application for the 11 (6) its free btw and lasts for 3 years. The problem is it takes up to 3 weeks to com through. I've decided tht the best way to run it legally is to just take two people up at a time on the quad have them shoot under my direct supervision then have my brother run them back and bring up two more. I am right in thinking people can shoot who don't hold a license under my direct supervision?

Joe

The idea that an accompanied person can use a Shotgun when with a SGC holder is commonly held, but most do not realise it is restricted to the terms of Section 11(5), and unless those terms are applied then the non-holder is in illegal possession of the gun.

11(5) states that the owner of land may lend a shotgun to another to use in their presence.

So, for you to take a couple of people up on the quad and lend them a gun you must:

Be in possession of the land - written consent is the usual minimum unless you are the owner / leaseholder / agricultural tenant etc. This consent needs to be for the EXCLUSIVE use of the land, if the farmer has also given consent to pony riders you may not be able to legally deny them the right to be in your exclusion zone.

Be supervising - and this would mean with them, not watching them from a house or car.

Use your own gun.

The 11(5) exemption is really designed for a farmer to take guests rough shooting on his land, so it starts to run into grey areas open to interpretation when a permission person takes others clayshooting, more than one person is supervising, and other guns become involved.

11(6) is the best for the purpose, although what you currently propose appears to be comfortably within the 11(5) requirements.

Edited by clayman

Me and my brother are the only people who are allowed to shoot on any of the land. None of it is rented out apart from a couple ponds and river banks we let family friends use for fishing. My grandad doesn't really want anyone else shooting on it. He got it fully cleared though for rim fire and center fire rifles :-) I was out 2 days ago with the trap when two walkers wandered up the centre of the field directly towards the way we where shooting, and then straight past me without a word.

Obviously we stopped shooting when we saw them (about 500m away) There are no public footpaths there. They must of jumped a few fences to get their. This is now legal due to the right to roam i think but it makes it quite nerve racking for me. I'm always expecting someone to just appear now.

Joe

Just to clarify, a section 11.6 is obtainable free from your Constabulary firearms department, it is valid for 12 months and they do not issue reminders of it's exiry date.

Be very careful with all firearms law as it has many grey areas that may be misinterpreted.

BASC can and will advise members and represent you if that is necessary.

Get your local firearms liason officer to come down, he will anyway, to inspect the land for the 11.6 application. Ask him for his advice on any matters, make sure you have a witness present and note the date and time and his name and number when he gives you that advice, it may be relevant at a later date.

Just to clarify, a section 11.6 is obtainable free from your Constabulary firearms department, it is valid for 12 months and they do not issue reminders of it's exiry date.

Be very careful with all firearms law as it has many grey areas that may be misinterpreted.

BASC can and will advise members and represent you if that is necessary.

Get your local firearms liason officer to come down, he will anyway, to inspect the land for the 11.6 application. Ask him for his advice on any matters, make sure you have a witness present and note the date and time and his name and number when he gives you that advice, it may be relevant at a later date.

I phoned my firearms office on the 23rd and they said it would last for 3 years??? I've sent my written request in since they won't accept a verbal one over the phone?!

Joe

Just to clarify, a section 11.6 is obtainable free from your Constabulary firearms department, it is valid for 12 months and they do not issue reminders of it's expiry date.

The Firearms Act does not determine any period for the issue of an 11(6) permit - only the conditions for its issue and use. The duration of an issued permit is entirely up to the local Constabulary and their policies.

An 11(6) can be issued for:

A single day - ie a charity shoot or corporate hospitality.

Specific days - ie in line with a requested shooting schedule.

Open for a period - typically one year, but other terms can apply.

Open till revoked or cancelled - yes, some grounds have undated 11(6) permits from some constabularies.

The 11(6) is fixed to a ground and a user. The responsible user named on the 11(6) permit does not need to be present as long as they have delegated the authority and responsibility of supervision to a competent person.

Me and my brother are the only people who are allowed to shoot on any of the land. None of it is rented out apart from a couple ponds and river banks we let family friends use for fishing. My grandad doesn't really want anyone else shooting on it. He got it fully cleared though for rim fire and center fire rifles :-) I was out 2 days ago with the trap when two walkers wandered up the centre of the field directly towards the way we where shooting, and then straight past me without a word.

Obviously we stopped shooting when we saw them (about 500m away) There are no public footpaths there. They must of jumped a few fences to get their. This is now legal due to the right to roam i think but it makes it quite nerve racking for me. I'm always expecting someone to just appear now.

Joe

i would check on this the right to roam is only allowed in open countryside not fenced in farmland