4X4 Alarms bells and Whistles

pavman

One for the Meckys?

I am looking at the next truck, my freelander II has more bells and alarms than you can shake a stick at and when lamping its a pain, we managed to turn the seat belt one off but thats all, it sounds a chime for open door, key in ignition, reverse etc... sends me nuts :look:

I am perhaps going with a new Hilux but they also have a chime for engine off door open, the Garage say it cant be switched off :hmm: is that true

I watched a programme last year where one of the owners of "Eddie Stobarts" bought a new range rover to replace his x5......

Didnt like the bells and whistles as you put as his x5 didnt have them.....the garage said they couldnt be turned off.....

he made a quick call to a "friend", who went on to say "bring it round i'll have them off in 5 minutes"

so they can be turned off but dont know how

shaun

Main dealer can programme your preferences on the Range Rover so I would assume you can do the same on the hairdressers model.

LB

I see you have surfaced from the "Love Nest" :good:

Toyota say they cant i understand the new Ford Ranger is the same

Hey Pavman,

I haven't looked at one of those, but years ago I had one of those Volvo Coupes as a company car. The seatbelt warning thing on that drives you nuts, it just clicksata rate of 4,000,000,000,000 times a second!!

Dropped the cover below the dash on the drivers side (that's where the sound was coming from), about 2,000,000 relays under their! Put my hand on them (feeling them up :good: ) and found the one clicking away making the noise, pulled it out, BINGO.....

Unless of course the manufacturer knows a way of doing it through electronic programing; I know this can be done on BMW's, Merc's etc....

can you get back to basics and take a hammer to the speaker that produces said noises?

though hasn't SS ordered one of these you could ask if you could play with that before ordering one :lol:

I will be picking it up 2moro al4x :good: , & I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, cos bings, bells & whistle will drive me mad, hopefully something can be done, otherwise it may be the big hammer option :lol:

SS

early Christmas pressie then!!

p.s what you then need is a scaffold plank long enough to cross the load bed plus two seats that can be bolted to said plank and hey presto pukka lamping set up :good:

we've a posh one as we found twu suzuki SJ rear seats and attached them so we even have padded cushioned seats :lol:

There was a little speaker behind the lower dash cowling,underneith the steering wheel on the pajero.I just unplugged it :lol:

It beeped when i opened the door,the key was left in and when you had left your lights on.It is about the size of a box of cigs and all beeping stopped when i removed it :good:

found this for the seat belt chime

"engage and dis-engage seat belt buckle 9 times in under 1 minute and the chimes for non-use will stop. Repeat to re-enable."

you are right I now just get a red light on the dash for seat belts but no chime (on the freelander 2) who the hell would ask (as a customer) for chuffin chimes for keys in door open I bet a £ to a pinch of snuff its a woman behind it or a European directive :good:

yup it will be a woman, but then a classic reminder of why is my sister borrowed my truck put the keys on the front seat while strapping the baby in in the back her **** triggered the central locking and next thing she'd locked the 2 week old baby in the car on a baking hot day. She panicked I was fuming at the thought of putting a brick through the window but fortunately did it with a coat hanger :good:

Hi,

Ive got a 55 plate hilux invincible twincab. Your right is does beep when u don't habe your seatbelt on and if you open the door with the lights on. These though can be switched off as such. I use mine for shooting in and have found these solutions. I got a spare buckle from a breakers yard for the seat belt alarm. I normally have my door open and window down so i can slip out and rest the rifle on the door frame. Once again it beeps if the door is open and the lights are left on. This can be solved by removing the fuse in the footwell. You have to ensure you replace it after as it will fail it's MOT otherwise.

Hope this helps. If you want any more advice on the hilux or a landcruiser for that matter just ask.

Joe

I have just bought a mazda B2500 pickup truck and it came with the most sofisticated and annoying alarm and imobiliser you could never want to have on a car . The poxy thing whistled ,beeped ,flashed the lights and imobilised itself if you looked at it . I took it down to a well known local auto electrician and had them get rid of the lot . Cost me 60 jim ,bit well woth it . Oh , yes this thing had two alarms one that would start at a low pitch and graduly increased in volume and pitch and the other was so loud it made your eyes bleed . The best security measure for any car is fully comp insurance .

Harnser .

I have just bought a mazda B2500 pickup truck and it came with the most sofisticated and annoying alarm and imobiliser you could never want to have on a car . The poxy thing whistled ,beeped ,flashed the lights and imobilised itself if you looked at it . I took it down to a well known local auto electrician and had them get rid of the lot . Cost me 60 jim ,bit well woth it . Oh , yes this thing had two alarms one that would start at a low pitch and graduly increased in volume and pitch and the other was so loud it made your eyes bleed . The best security measure for any car is fully comp insurance .

Harnser .

Whilst I sympathise with the annoying alarm and the inability to cancel them on many cars beware that permanently cancelling them will probably enable your insurance company to state that you have downgraded security and therefore your cover is null and void. Note that they will only tell you this when you make a claim!

Licensed bandits, the lot of them.

Whilst I sympathise with the annoying alarm and the inability to cancel them on many cars beware that permanently cancelling them will probably enable your insurance company to state that you have downgraded security and therefore your cover is null and void. Note that they will only tell you this when you make a claim!

Licensed bandits, the lot of them.

Chris surely not for just door open/lights and seat belt chimes :good:

Hi,

Ive got a 55 plate hilux invincible twincab. Your right is does beep when u don't habe your seatbelt on and if you open the door with the lights on. These though can be switched off as such. I use mine for shooting in and have found these solutions. I got a spare buckle from a breakers yard for the seat belt alarm. I normally have my door open and window down so i can slip out and rest the rifle on the door frame. Once again it beeps if the door is open and the lights are left on. This can be solved by removing the fuse in the footwell. You have to ensure you replace it after as it will fail it's MOT otherwise.

Hope this helps. If you want any more advice on the hilux or a landcruiser for that matter just ask.

Joe

Joe

how did you do it? and what did you cancel out? full info plz

I'm sorry for my rather vague explanation last nite. Was just on my way out. As has been mentioned if you tamper with any of the electronics you are walking on very thin ice. My friends a mechanic for RRG toyota and it was him who told me about the fuse. He strongly recommends against it as it puts all the warning lights up on the dashboard and have to be reset. It may also void your warranty and insurance not to mention fail your MOT. I cant remember the date but after this certain date all cars must have those annoying warning beepers for safety. As a result of this no reputable establishment would touch it.

Therefore i opt for tricking the car. My friend from RRG told me the hilux buckle is the same as all landcrusiers. I therefore went to my local scrapyard and bought cut the buckle of an old Landcruiser. As soon as i get into the field i unbuckle my belt and push in the old buckle. Seatbelt Warning light sorted. The door warning noise is controlled by a simple PTM switch. All you need to do is get some decorators tape and selotape the button in.

I would strongly recommend the methods above as they are cheap and simple. Also they won't get you into any trouble. If you want my opinion on the hilux as an off-road and general run around car then id be happy to help. Also i can speak to my friend to source you a cheap second hand or good discount on a new one.

Joe

I'm sorry for my rather vague explanation last nite. Was just on my way out. As has been mentioned if you tamper with any of the electronics you are walking on very thin ice. My friends a mechanic for RRG toyota and it was him who told me about the fuse. He strongly recommends against it as it puts all the warning lights up on the dashboard and have to be reset. It may also void your warranty and insurance not to mention fail your MOT. I cant remember the date but after this certain date all cars must have those annoying warning beepers for safety. As a result of this no reputable establishment would touch it.

Therefore i opt for tricking the car. My friend from RRG told me the hilux buckle is the same as all landcrusiers. I therefore went to my local scrapyard and bought cut the buckle of an old Landcruiser. As soon as i get into the field i unbuckle my belt and push in the old buckle. Seatbelt Warning light sorted. The door warning noise is controlled by a simple PTM switch. All you need to do is get some decorators tape and selotape the button in.

I would strongly recommend the methods above as they are cheap and simple. Also they won't get you into any trouble. If you want my opinion on the hilux as an off-road and general run around car then id be happy to help. Also i can speak to my friend to source you a cheap second hand or good discount on a new one.

Joe

Joe wats the PTM switch? as I dont have a Hilux yet i dont know what I am looking at???

my beef is when in teh field I dont want to keep taking the keys out prior to getting out teh truck in the dark as i could drop them etc, and i dont want bloody chimes warning every charlie in the area I am about just because i want to take a leak and leave the keys in the ignition :good:

I can take some photo's later if you like? PTM is push to make. Nearly all cars have them. Just open your current car door and the interior light should come on. The warning buzzer works of the same senor/switch. If your door is shut then there's no need to warn you. As a result tricking the car into thinking the door is shut will mean no buzzer for leaving the key in the ignition and none for leaving your lights on with the engine off. You can try this on your current car by looking either on the doorframe or body where the door meets the car. There should be some form of button normally covered in soft plastic. If you push this your interior lights should go off.

Joe